Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Scientists Have Created a Vaccine for Cat Allergies, but You Can't Have It Yet (thanks Slashdot via Max). This is pretty exciting news, as MrsBlue and I both had to give away cats due to the severity of her allergies, which verge on life-threatening in combination with her asthma. To be sure, I'm not sure that we'd actually end up getting a cat if this vaccine proves out. We're both still too heartbroken about losing the Gunnar-man to get another dog at this time, and she may feel the same way about owning cats. But cats are lower maintenance than dogs, and generally live longer, so it leaves open the possibility that we could end up with another critter down the road. I have a strong affinity for animals, so even a small chance this could work out makes me very happy.

Feline Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: CD Projekt Red Says They’ve Eliminated The Need For Crunch On ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ By Breeding Grotesque Human-Rat Hybrid Programmers.
Ron Burgundy Dives Into The Internet With A Cyber Security Expert.
Cautious Browns Fan Not Expecting Team To Do Better Than 13-3.
Stories: Seaside town's high-tech anti-sex toilets will spray users with water. Thanks RedEye9.
Wind power prices now lower than the cost of natural gas.
Science: How To Stick To Healthy Habits, According To Science. Thanks RedEye9.
Exosuit Boosts A Wearer's Endurance While Walking And Running. Thanks RedEye9.
Why Does Metal Spark in the Microwave?
Media: Jumping from the third story window to save time.
Real Farmer Tends To Her Farm In Farming Simulator.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 02:24 mildew

If cats detest you thats about who you are, not cats. Perhaps only an animal that is genetically programmed to love humans can stand you ?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 20:35 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 11:55:
Capella wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:36:
Sorry for being a downer this morning. I needed to get this off my chest.

No need to apologize. My heart still hurts almost three years after having to put down my beloved Cocker Spaniel/Chow chow mutt Holly. She was the first dog I ever had that was solely my dog and was my constant companion. Work? Curled under the desk at my feet. The eternal truck riding buddy whenever I went anywhere. Hiking where she would dash through the woods and splash through streams. Camping where she would happily lie next to my feet by the campfire. Snoring loudly on her inflatable dog bed in the tent. Barking and chasing the birds away from Mrs. B's garden plots. Only dog I've witnessed stare down an entire pack of coyotes with her ever defiant "fuck you" bark. She and I fit hand in glove. I miss her terribly.

However, she also had a long, happy life after I rescued her where she enjoyed a love, dedication, and level of care that she had not had previously. She found a life partner in my dad's dog and learned what friendship was. She provided years of faithful companionship and unyielding, unconditional love. There was much good in her world.

Best fifteen dollars I ever spent, adopting an "unadoptable" dog.

Who's cutting these onions!

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 11:55:
But...it's time for a new companion. It's time for puppy breath, working on potty training, and sleeping on my chest. It's time for boundless energy that exhausts me. I don't think any dog, cat, or any pet really, wants you to mourn overly long. I think they want you to be just as happy with a new companion as you were once with them. At least with dogs, your well being was ever more important than their own in their estimation. So if you have the means to properly care, feed, and house a new dog...then it's time. Perhaps it is past time.

There are so many puppers looking to be adopted. Could you look into your heart to consider saving another?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Into the Great Beyond Aug 18, 2019, 20:29 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 13:31:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:22:
Such a great song!

Would be better if the background was toned down so they don't drown out the lyrics. Has too much of a "made for club" feel to it.

Actually it was made for Tetris Effect. It's a rhythm game mixed with Tetris.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: Into the Great Beyond Aug 18, 2019, 13:31 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:22:
Such a great song!

Would be better if the background was toned down so they don't drown out the lyrics. Has too much of a "made for club" feel to it.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 11:55 Burrito of Peace

Sorry for being a downer this morning. I needed to get this off my chest.

No need to apologize. My heart still hurts almost three years after having to put down my beloved Cocker Spaniel/Chow chow mutt Holly. She was the first dog I ever had that was solely my dog and was my constant companion. Work? Curled under the desk at my feet. The eternal truck riding buddy whenever I went anywhere. Hiking where she would dash through the woods and splash through streams. Camping where she would happily lie next to my feet by the campfire. Snoring loudly on her inflatable dog bed in the tent. Barking and chasing the birds away from Mrs. B's garden plots. Only dog I've witnessed stare down an entire pack of coyotes with her ever defiant "fuck you" bark. She and I fit hand in glove. I miss her terribly.

However, she also had a long, happy life after I rescued her where she enjoyed a love, dedication, and level of care that she had not had previously. She found a life partner in my dad's dog and learned what friendship was. She provided years of faithful companionship and unyielding, unconditional love. There was much good in her world.

Best fifteen dollars I ever spent, adopting an "unadoptable" dog.

But...it's time for a new companion. It's time for puppy breath, working on potty training, and sleeping on my chest. It's time for boundless energy that exhausts me. I don't think any dog, cat, or any pet really, wants you to mourn overly long. I think they want you to be just as happy with a new companion as you were once with them. At least with dogs, your well being was ever more important than their own in their estimation. So if you have the means to properly care, feed, and house a new dog...then it's time. Perhaps it is past time.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 11:37 Kxmode

Medusa-NYC wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 10:50:
a house is always better with a four legged friend in it

Some people have pets with two legs, and some with none; and they love their pets all the same. Are you implying a happy house can't be had with other types of pets?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 10:50 Medusa-NYC

a house is always better with a four legged friend in it  

17. Re: Into the Great Beyond Aug 18, 2019, 10:47 Kxmode

Holy moly!  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 10:29 RedEye9

I still hurt for you Blue. When I lost my dog I felt like a part of me was missing. I lasted about a month before I had to get another. Then we wound up with two and I love them just as much.

Speaking of kitties my wife's cat has been missing for three weeks. She has finally started to talk how she is feeling and she said the exact same thing, she felt like she has lost a part of her. She does not want to get another right now but feels like for sure she will. I have noticed she is giving the pups more attention these days. And I have noticed that they show her more affection as well. I think they sense something has happened.

Life can deliver some gut punches at times. I guess it's these times that make life worth living. Sorry for being a downer this morning. I needed to get this off my chest.
No apologies necessary.
"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering."

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 09:36 Capella

I still hurt for you Blue. When I lost my dog I felt like a part of me was missing. I lasted about a month before I had to get another. Then we wound up with two and I love them just as much.

Speaking of kitties my wife's cat has been missing for three weeks. She has finally started to talk how she is feeling and she said the exact same thing, she felt like she has lost a part of her. She does not want to get another right now but feels like for sure she will. I have noticed she is giving the pups more attention these days. And I have noticed that they show her more affection as well. I think they sense something has happened.

Life can deliver some gut punches at times. I guess it's these times that make life worth living. Sorry for being a downer this morning. I needed to get this off my chest.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

14. Into the Great Beyond Aug 18, 2019, 09:22 Kxmode

Such a great song!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 04:18 eRe4s3r

Who would ever want to trade the love a dog gives you vs the absolute detest a cat gives you? And that's on good days.  

12. Seaside town's high-tech anti-sex toilets will spray users with water Aug 17, 2019, 21:25 Simon Says

"Weight-sensitive floors would ensure only one user could be in a cubicle at a time, to safeguard against “inappropriate sexual activity and vandalism”."

This is nonsense... I used to weight 120 lbs and had a 95 lbs girlfriend. So 215 lbs total... How many people weight more than 215 lbs by themselves? Or more than 250? Heck a friend of mine is almost 7 feet tall, weights 300+ and doesn't even look that overweight.

Whoever had that "idea" needs to go back to the drawing board.

"The planning documents detail a range of security features to deter rough sleeping, including an audible warning, combined with lights and heating being switched off."

So, anti-compassion measures on top of that... GREAT! /s I mean homeless don't have it rough enough yet, pile it on! *massive facepalm*

And they're PAY toilets? LOL, what is this world coming to? You prefer your urine and feces on the street now when someone can't pay? What? So they get caught and thrown into prison to serve as slave labor for a natural body function? WTF is all that nonsense?

Seaside has officially gone full retard.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 18:09 Burrito of Peace

We have a cat. This was not my choice. I did not want a cat. I am wildly allergic to said cat. Said cat decided after about three days that she was going to be "Daddy's girl" and now I take two different kinds of allergy meds daily so I can pet that little green eyed monster and listen to her tell me about all her problems in the world. Did I fail to mention that she's a snuggle monster and will not be persuaded from snuggling no matter how hard you try?

Yeah...I love that mouthy, furry little shit.

She also eats weird, human food. Kettle brand jalapeno chips? She'll eat the whole goddamned bag (she did, once). Hot Tamales? The more the merrier! Dad's habanero salsa? Spread it over her dry kitty food and she inhales it.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 17:47 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:19:
Wind power prices now lower than the cost of natural gas.

Enough of this librul wind power. WE need to go back to mining coal.
I want my cancer from mercury containing coal smoke, not nasty ass carcinogenic wind turbines.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 17:43 RedEye9

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 15:32:
The Cat Genie does occasionally make a horrible stench...
SNL skit meets real life

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 16:56 Cutter

That may be an Onion article but I think Cleveland fan's expectations are that high at least this year. All the talk I've seen seems to be they expect them to at least make it to the playoffs and will be disappoint if they'd don't.

I'm heading down there myself on the 28th and think I'll try to catch the pre-season game against the Lions on the 29th. I may blow that off and head down there instead for the Sept. 22 game against the Rams instead however.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 16:51 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:15:
Seaside town's high-tech anti-sex toilets will spray users with water.

Nothing could go wrong with that plan. Nope.

Porthcawl town council is spending £170,000 on the futuristic toilets in Griffin Park1

$340,000 bucks so people won't shag in them? Put CCTV cameras in them. You can position them so they're high enough to see if it's one or two people going in but not record them doing their business. Have some minimum wage rent a cop monitor it and inform the cops if need be. That'll put an end to it PDQ and cost a fraction of that. That or just increase the penalties. Anyone caught doing goes to prison for a year minimum, has to register as a sex offender for life, and fine them $100,000 bucks. Something else that would curtail it and not waste a small fortune on this sort of stupidity. The sheer idiocy of regional councils never ceases to amaze me.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 16:01 Mr. Tact

If I were going to get pets, a pair of cats would probably be my choice. Low maintenance, fun when appropriate, and a pair can entertain themselves when I have better things to do. Plus having grown up with one I have fond memories... but for now -- I'll pass.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 15:32 HoSpanky

I never would have intentionally owned a cat, but my wife came with two. They’re both rather large for house cats, and amazingly well behaved. She’s a bit upset that the larger one quickly became *my* cat, but his interest in hanging out with me definitely helped me acclimate to “you have cats now”. The smaller cat is friendly, but the big cat hangs out with me like a dog would. His astonishing interest in food a cat should NOT want to eat (Flamin Hot Doritos is a new favorite) is another source of amusement.

The other HUGE help was the Cat Genie. It’s a pain to set up initially, but not having to touch the litterbox other than a deep clean every year or so is incredible. We can leave for a weeklong vacation with no worries about the cats making a mess. It does occasionally make a horrible stench, but it’s uncommon.

I had a mild allergic reaction to them initially, but that’s gone. For those who have an interest in cats but can’t touch them without getting a rash, that vaccine could be a life changer.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo