Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning

A post on the Epic Games Website discusses the B.R.U.T.E. mechs they recently added to Fortnite. Unmoved by player complaints that these are overpowered, they explain this is actually intentional, as it allows less skilled players a greater chance at success. Here's word on this alternative to participation trophies:
We’ve heard the frequent discussions (#RemoveTheMech) about the B.R.U.T.E., and decided this would be a good opportunity to explain the Fortnite philosophy. The mission of Fortnite is to bring players of all skill levels together to have a fun experience where anyone can win. For example - everyone having a shot at that first elimination or Victory Royale moment and the satisfying feeling that comes with it. Right now, we know there are players out there who have never had that opportunity.

Another part of the mission is to provide spectacle and entertainment when playing Fortnite. Bringing these moments to the game every week means there is always a new way to enjoy and experience the game.

The B.R.U.T.E. was added at the start of Season X with this mission in mind. Since then, we have seen players who had previously struggled with getting eliminations acquiring more, while the number of eliminations earned by more experienced players remained steady.

B.R.U.T.E. encounters should feel like a unique engagement and not be the dominant experience during a game. We made adjustments to the B.R.U.T.E within Arena, in line with that goal. Specifically for Arena we made the change to spawn rate in order to reduce late-game encounters. This is due to a higher number of players surviving to those circles compared to non-Arena modes. We’re happy with the results and the below graphs represent the current state of B.R.U.T.E. eliminations across both Arena and core modes.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning
Aug 16, 2019, 19:23
Kxmode

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 19:23
Aug 16, 2019, 19:23
 Kxmode

Overon wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 17:49:
How does one acquire the BRUTE?

They randomly spawn on the map with an icon denoting location. There are always two brutes. In Team Rumble, each side will have a BRUTE spawn making it more even-handed. However, both players on one side could, in theory, each get a mech thereby overwhelming the opposition. All that seems to be part of the strategy and tactics of the map's overall gameplay. In other words, whereas a skilled player would use beguile and deceit, another player in a mech could basically overpower with brute force. Both players need to account for the mech's presence on the battlefield, just like players in Quake had to account for the BFG.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 16, 2019, 19:08
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 19:08
Aug 16, 2019, 19:08

DrEvil wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 15:52:
I get what you're saying, but I suspect there's a bit more skill to using the BRUTEs and I think there's nothing wrong with Epic continuing to re-evaluate and tune them.

Someone literally turned off their monitor, and with only someone giving them some vague hints ("aim down") was able to take out 5 people. So no, there really is little skill involved.

If Epic really wanted to give less skilled people a chance, they would introduce skill-based matchmaking. That would allow low-skilled players to play against other low-skilled players, and have a much better chance of getting kills and potentially winning a game. And all while not fucking over the game for the high-skilled players. But that's probably more work than Epic is willing to put in, much easier to just slap an "I win" item into the game.

Aug 16, 2019, 17:49
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 17:49
Aug 16, 2019, 17:49

How does one acquire the BRUTE?

Aug 16, 2019, 15:52
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 15:52
Aug 16, 2019, 15:52

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 14:34:
DrEvil wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 11:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 11:07:
What does it do for a highly skilled player.

Makes victory even more satisfying when they still win despite the random chance element this adds?

The whole kerfuffle around this reminds me of the arguments against having the BFG in Quake 2 Multiplayer. It’s silly.

I think Epic is doing the right thing here.

That's a common sense analogy, but it is slightly flawed in that even when someone picked up the BFG, skill was still required to use it. The BRUTEs, on the other hand, require no skill to use. Just aim and fire. Their splash damage is incredibly high.

People said the same thing about the BFG, the common refrain was "BFG *hore" every time someone managed to win a match because of it.

I get what you're saying, but I suspect there's a bit more skill to using the BRUTEs and I think there's nothing wrong with Epic continuing to re-evaluate and tune them.

I personally prefer multiplayer to be more chaotic because then it isn't solely about one *kind* of skill--there's also a random chance element that takes a different set of skills to master.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2019, 16:06.

Aug 16, 2019, 14:38
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 14:38
Aug 16, 2019, 14:38

I dunno, pissing off your hardcore players, who are the most likely to be the ones streaming your game and keeping it at the forefront of the gamer consciousness, seems like a weird decision to me.

"We know you guys don't like it, but fuck you!"

Aug 16, 2019, 14:34
Kxmode

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 14:34
Aug 16, 2019, 14:34
 Kxmode

Makes victory even more satisfying when they still win despite the random chance element this adds?

The whole kerfuffle around this reminds me of the arguments against having the BFG in Quake 2 Multiplayer. It’s silly.

That's a common sense analogy, but it is slightly flawed in that even when someone picked up the BFG, skill was still required to use it. The BRUTEs, on the other hand, require no skill to use. Just aim and fire. Their splash damage is incredibly high.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 16, 2019, 14:30
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 14:30
Aug 16, 2019, 14:30

Ah, that makes sense.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Aug 16, 2019, 14:09
PHJF

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 14:09
Aug 16, 2019, 14:09
 PHJF

Part of why CS became so popular was that you could kill a guy in one shot. Bad players could catch far better players off-guard and get that kill.

You could kill a guy in one shot with one specific expensive weapon. At the end of the day players with better map awareness would win because CS wasn't a deathmatch.

Fortnite was absolutely not built to be a hardcore, competitive experience and the fact that it's been embraced as such baffles me.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 16, 2019, 13:42
Beamer

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 13:42
Aug 16, 2019, 13:42
 Beamer

Most games shouldn't solely reward skill. You want some randomness and some luck - it keeps bad players coming back long enough to become good players. Part of why CS became so popular was that you could kill a guy in one shot. Bad players could catch far better players off-guard and get that kill.

But it's really damn weird to have this in tournaments.

Smash Brothers is probably a great example of this. All the stupid items make it totally random, and anyone competent enough to use the controls can go on a spree with a good item. It makes it a blast to play with friends, since between that and the handicap function, anyone that knows how to use a controller can hold their own enough to stay engaged. But tournaments turn all of that off.

Aug 16, 2019, 13:36
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 13:36
Aug 16, 2019, 13:36

all games should have mechs, and games that have mechs should have more mechs. If fortnite turned into gundam battle royale; one can only dream.

Aug 16, 2019, 13:32
Kxmode

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 13:32
Aug 16, 2019, 13:32
 Kxmode

Makes them die...

Aug 16, 2019, 13:31
Kxmode

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 13:31
Aug 16, 2019, 13:31
 Kxmode

Epic Games. Not listening to you since 1991.

Aug 16, 2019, 12:55
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 12:55
Aug 16, 2019, 12:55

Give someone even just a taste of success, they'll keep coming back. Epic's trying to avoid fatigue, especially for the casual or young gamers which have surprisingly high buying power.

I can't speak for Epic, but the older or the experienced gamers may not be their focus anymore. I know when either of my sons get in the single-digits of players left in a round, they get excited. If they end up with a Victory Royale, it's like they're king of the world and jump back into the next round. The Kool-Aid immediately tastes that much sweeter.

Getting killed in the first few minutes without any respawning gets boring so I can see why they want less experienced players to have more time in a match. It's why I have no interest in playing it, without the ability to respawn it's just annoying.

Aug 16, 2019, 12:35
Cutter

Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 12:35
Aug 16, 2019, 12:35
 Cutter

"Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up."
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Aug 16, 2019, 11:49
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 11:49
Aug 16, 2019, 11:49

Aug 16, 2019, 11:07
Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 11:07
Aug 16, 2019, 11:07

A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older