Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

NY Times - How an Online Mob Created a Playbook for a Culture War. Thanks Neutronbeam.
In the fall of 2014, a Deadspin writer, Kyle Wagner, presciently declared that Gamergate was the future of the culture wars and that 'the rhetorical weaponry and siegecraft of an internet comment section' would be 'brought to bear on our culture, not just at the fringes but at the center'."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 18:03 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 17:49:
On the plus side, his mom's basement doubles as a fallout shelter, so war wouldn't phase him unless the radiation damages his anime DVDs
You might want to watch out, I just got smacked down with the "I'm rubber, your glue" comeback. This guy is gud. Rolleyes Rolleyes2 Rolleyes
Grin

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 17:49 Beamer

On the plus side, his mom's basement doubles as a fallout shelter, so war wouldn't phase him unless the radiation damages his anime DVDs  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 16:44 NotOneOfUs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 15:26:
NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 12:20:
Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 11:59:
One angry gamer is a gamergate specific media outlet. It's also rampant homophobia, misogyny, and racism. It's the most pure example of gamergate out there.
Beamer, once they drink the poisoned koolaid it's impossible to coax them out of the sewer. But thanks for trying.

The cultists claiming others are the cultists.

Hoo boy, I look forward to the coming civil war~
I rest my case.

Right back at ya.

30. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 15:26 RedEye9

NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:19:
One angry gamer is a gamergate specific media outlet. It's also rampant homophobia, misogyny, and racism. It's the most pure example of gamergate out there.
Beamer, once they drink the poisoned koolaid it's impossible to coax them out of the sewer. But thanks for trying.

I rest my case.

29. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 14:28 Beamer

Red886 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 12:05:

the only thing it calls out is SJW bullshit . Like swapping gender and race for SJW reasons.

and applauded for calling out racism against whites and sexism against males.

your characterization is exactly what i define gamergate as. Lies and lies. So much lies that they forgot they are telling a lie, for SJW purposes

Sure, the editor of the site constantly posting on the site about how low IQ Africa is, and using the N word, isn't racist at all...

If you can read OAG regularly and not be concerned, there is something broken inside of you.

And to the moron talking about others being brainwashed but cheering a "civil war..." It's baffling how important the products other people make are to you.

-------------

28. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 14:19 NotOneOfUs

27. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 14:00 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 12:05:
Like swapping gender
Conservative philosophy espouses "live and let live" and "personal freedom" creeds. So odd that you'd make an exception for this.

[Citation needed]

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

26. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 12:20 RedEye9

25. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 12:05 Red886

the only thing it calls out is SJW bullshit . Like swapping gender and race for SJW reasons.

your characterization is exactly what i define gamergate as. Lies and lies. So much lies that they forgot they are telling a lie, for SJW purposes

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 Beamer

-------------

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 11:57 Red886

Gamergate is nothing but:

1. how the liberal and mass media lie about harassment by male gamers to push their SJW feminist agenda.

proof (all the links in there) : www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/12/fbi-closed-gamergate-case-due-to-no-actionable-leads-evidence/

22. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 17, 2019, 11:05 Drath71

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 12:40:
Yeah, and liberal media like the NYT and their agenda don't factor into things at all. Wry

Yeah, basically you have people who need a cause or purpose in life, and even better if it puts them in a position of power. Branding people as racists, xenophobes, whatever...it's all just a rallying cry for the power hungry.
Lib media pours gas on the fire.

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 01:34 NotOneOfUs

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 18:40:
NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 16:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 16:22:
Gamergate is exactly what it appears to be: a relatively small and very loud group of video game enthusiasts who claim that their goal is to audit ethics in the gaming-industrial complex and who are instead defined by the campaigns of criminal harassment that some of them have carried out against several women.

You got a single fact to back that up?

Kotakuinaction

[citation needed]

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 01:33 NotOneOfUs

*double post*  

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 01:25 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 18:40:
NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 16:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 15:28:
Something no big deal became an excuse for you to call a woman a white,

Oh my god Beamer, you can't just tell someone they're white!

Y'know, it took me several tries, and I still couldn't get my phone to say "whore"

Clearly your phone is on a depression quest.

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2019, 22:55 RedEye9

anonymous anonymous wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 22:33:
Gamergate is exactly what it appears to be: a relatively small and very loud group of video game enthusiasts who claim that their goal is to audit ethics in the gaming-industrial complex and who are instead defined by the campaigns of criminal harassment that some of them have carried out against several women.

Fixed that for you.

So what did the FBI do to the primary figures of GamerGate who orchestrated the criminal activity?
14 posts in 16 years yet somehow you've managed to quote me twice. I'd say I felt honored but the feeling is more akin to wanting to wirebrush my brain.

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2019, 22:33 anonymous anonymous

Gamergate is exactly what it appears to be: a relatively small and very loud group of video game "journalists" and activists who claim that their goals were to bring attention to and fight back against organized harassment in the gaming-industrial complex, defined by the campaigns of coordinated articles to exaggerate the extent of any harassment that may have occurred. This was done to promote and strengthen their own progressive agendas into the gaming industry and to silence any of their critics.

Fixed that for you.

So what did the FBI do to the primary figures of GamerGate who orchestrated the criminal activity?

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Aug 16, 2019, 21:40 RedEye9

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 21:33:
Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 19:29:
The biggest thing that bothered me with the gamergate saga is how universal ugly truths of humanity somehow became a specific problem with gamers. I know everyone has heard more than one person demean or harass a woman - call her a 'whore' for doing the same thing that guys proudly go out to do every weekend, and the like - who hasn't touched a videogame since they were ten. Intolerant and insensitive people exist; that some play games doesn't define an entire culture, but that was the takeaway.
Funny, the biggest thing that bothered -me- about gamergate was how many gamers vehemently denied that any such harassment was happening. That's -still- the big takeaway, in my book. You can find a dozen examples right here on bluesnews, if you take a few minutes and look back.

And frankly, fuck those guys, I refuse to share any sense of community with those assholes, any more than I would share a sense of community with monsters like Epstein and Trump (and for the same reasons).
Well said.

15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Aug 16, 2019, 21:33 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 19:29:
The biggest thing that bothered me with the gamergate saga is how universal ugly truths of humanity somehow became a specific problem with gamers. I know everyone has heard more than one person demean or harass a woman - call her a 'whore' for doing the same thing that guys proudly go out to do every weekend, and the like - who hasn't touched a videogame since they were ten. Intolerant and insensitive people exist; that some play games doesn't define an entire culture, but that was the takeaway.
Funny, the biggest thing that bothered -me- about gamergate was how many gamers vehemently denied that any such harassment was happening. That's -still- the big takeaway, in my book. You can find a dozen examples right here on bluesnews, if you take a few minutes and look back.

And frankly, fuck those guys, I refuse to share any sense of community with those assholes, any more than I would share a sense of community with monsters like Epstein and Trump (and for the same reasons).

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2019, 19:29 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo