Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

No Man's Sky Beyond Launches

The No Man's Sky Website announces the release of the promised Beyond update for the space exploration game. One of the ways this goes beyond the original game is the addition of virtual reality support, as seen in this video. The full release notes for the version 2.0 "Beyond" patch can be found in this post, along with the Launch Trailer. Here's more:

Meanwhile, the multiplayer team had conceived of a whole new social hub – The Nexus – which enables you to meet up with friends (VR and non-VR alike), explore together, build bases together, complete missions together and much much more. Every time we played together, we could feel how much it brought to the experience. And so this too began to grow in ambition and scope…

At the same time a longer list of features and updates, large and small, was growing. Rolling them all together helped us to see the bigger picture, to listen to how people played the game, to not only add more but to remould the game in a hundred tiny ways. These, of course, began to fit together with an expanded multiplayer experience, and began to lift the VR experience to another level.

With 2.0, we saw a way to fill in some of the details and pull all the different strands of No Man’s Sky together into a cohesive whole. We think it makes this the perfect time to play No Man’s Sky, as a new player or a seasoned explorer.

Here is just a brief summary of what you can find in BEYOND:

• Virtual Reality support
  • VR user Interface
  • VR user interactions
  • VR controller support
  • 16-32 multiplayer
  • Multiplayer missions
  • Ambient multiplayer
  • A new social hub
  • New traveller NPCs
  • Dynamic NPCs
  • Alien Languages
  • New alien encounters
  • Technology trees
  • Gameplay Balance
  • Discovery Page overhaul
  • Planetary Charts
  • Creature taming/riding/milking
  • Multiplayer missions
  • Cooking & Recipes
  • Cooler Aliens
  • Improved base building
  • Power & Logic & Industrial Bases
  • Optimisation
  • Starship enhancements
  • First person exocraft driving
  • Vulkan
  • PC graphics options
  • Expanded controller support
  • Sitting
  • Version 2.0

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 19:40 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 20:05:
You can literally count the number of developers or publishers today who continue to improve and add value to their products after they ship on one hand--CDPR is one, HG is another, inXile is another, at least with what they've done with BT 1,2,3 & 4--and you might say Blizzard is one, too, if you like their stuff.

You could literally say that and be wrong, there are a lot of games and there are so many probably in the 100's that are being updated for a lengthy time these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 16:57 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 16:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 15:59:
VoodooV wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 14:19:
If it's as bad as I'm hearing, how do these kinds of bugs get past QA? Why would they release the update in this shape? No one would care if it got delayed a week or even a month.
An obvious question which we will probably never get a satisfactory answer to. If they could setup a of some sort people would be willing to play test it for them...
They already have a "player test realm", it consists of the current user base.

This ^^^

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

26. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 16:56 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 15:59:
If it's as bad as I'm hearing, how do these kinds of bugs get past QA? Why would they release the update in this shape? No one would care if it got delayed a week or even a month.
An obvious question which we will probably never get a satisfactory answer to. If they could setup a "player test realm" of some sort people would be willing to play test it for them...
They already have a "player test realm", it consists of the current user base.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

25. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 15:59 Mr. Tact

An obvious question which we will probably never get a satisfactory answer to. If they could setup a "player test realm" of some sort people would be willing to play test it for them...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 15:57 Mr. Tact

Two patch releases out already for PC 2.05 and 2.06, one for consoles 2.04.  

23. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 15, 2019, 14:19 VoodooV

22. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 22:50 NKD

NEXT wasn't nearly as bad as this, though it did have more than its share of issues many of which were quickly fixed, some which seemed to linger forever.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

21. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 20:59 Mr. Tact

Was talking to a buddy who is still actively playing NMS -- he pointed out a similar situation happen for the Next release. HG had patches out within a few days, guess we'll see if the manage to do it again.

Edit: Murray tweeted a PC patch will be out "soon", with PS4 and XBox patches to follow a bit afterward.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2019, 21:53.

20. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 20:21 Mr. Tact

I'd agree they deserve significant credit for continuing to work on NMS -- to the point they can almost (I said almost!) be forgiven for their over-hyping and under-delivery on the initial release of the game. Unless they turn around a quick fix, this kind of poor quality control burns up a lot of the positive feelings they have built up...  

19. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 20:05 WaltC

You can literally count the number of developers or publishers today who continue to improve and add value to their products after they ship on one hand--CDPR is one, HG is another, inXile is another, at least with what they've done with BT 1,2,3 & 4--and you might say Blizzard is one, too, if you like their stuff. Most games are funded by their publishers for 6-8 months after shipping and then the game is dropped like a hot potato, and they move on. Sometimes leaving a big mess behind. Supporting your games with not just bug fixing but new content, too, for years after they ship, is laudable, imo. I have a lot of respect for companies that do this, including HG. That said, we've got more patches coming for NMS--HDR doesn't function (at least for the PC), but that's really a small issue--shipping the 2.04 patch with keys that can't be remapped (the option to remap keys simply doesn't function) is a fairly big oversight, imo. I stopped counting bugs at that point...will wait on a patch.  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

18. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 19:42 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 16:06:
Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 10:47:
They finally unfucked the inventory quantity limits, thank god.
They upped the stack amounts? Or are you talking about the people who were stuck with less than 48 slots in their exosuit?
Been looking around trying to find out what the change was, saw someone indicating it might only be in non-survival? Not sure that makes sense since I only ever played survival.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 19:09 Nidian

I would say that Hello Games should just cut their losses & move on... but... I wouldn't buy another game from this developer. Why would anyone buy/preorder a game from a developer whose own marketing & the interviews from their staff can't be trusted at all? Why would anyone give even a second thought to a developer who still had a chance to build the customers trust & confidence even after the bad launch... but, good or bad, chose to ignore all feedback by staying silent for way too long?

So this is probably going to be the biggest break into the industry as they are ever going to get. So milk it for all its worth Sean Murray as any team he is on... I will be avoiding like the plague.

The only real good point about No Man's Sky is that it is a great case study on everything that could possibly go wrong in launching a game.

16. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Aug 14, 2019, 19:02 Desalus

Well, the game runs a hell of a lot better than it used to (using a Radeon card). Unfortunately I was only playing 10 minutes before the game crashed. Looks like I'm not alone in that regard either. I don't think I care enough to try to play again.  

15. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 17:36 chickenboo

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 16:20:
A quick look through the reddit tells me HG kicked themselves in the balls with this release. Tons of problems...

They just can't catch a break can they? That's a huge list of patch fixes and improvements, heck, some devs might even charge for VR as a DLC. Looking at this list, I'm amazed. But if it's just a buggy mess... once again they are using their loyal playerbase to playtest their patch for them. Yay.

14. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 16:20 Mr. Tact

A quick look through the reddit tells me HG kicked themselves in the balls with this release. Tons of problems...  

13. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 16:17 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 16:08:
Broken mess. Can't even remap controls on PC, the remap controls menu is blank and resetting to defaults doesn't work. Also gamepads don't work on PC anymore. If you're on PC using Keyboard and Mouse and already know all the controls, you'll be fine I guess?
Derp! Wasn't super anxious to hop back in, I'm still having fun with E:D, but apparently I need to wait for a fix patch anyway...

12. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 16:08 NKD

Broken mess. Can't even remap controls on PC, the remap controls menu is blank and resetting to defaults doesn't work. Also gamepads don't work on PC anymore. If you're on PC using Keyboard and Mouse and already know all the controls, you'll be fine I guess?  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

11. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 16:06 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 10:47:
They finally unfucked the inventory quantity limits, thank god.
They upped the stack amounts? Or are you talking about the people who were stuck with less than 48 slots in their exosuit?

10. Re: SOS Early Access Aug 14, 2019, 15:54 Dacron

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 13:57:

What's worse, you can't just hop in your ship and run away to space because their air force is even more relentless. They respawn faster than ground units directly on top of you and rubber-band to catch up with you no matter how fast your ship is, and the only escape is to dock in the main orbiting station. Which you have to reach WITHOUT high-speed travel because them just being in the area disables your sublight booster engine and hyperspace capability.

Just fly around in atmosphere in your ship, they can't detect you so they lose the trail in 40 seconds, then you can leave the planet and do whatever safely.

ItBurn wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 15:21:
I advise people to stay away as the tutorial can bug out preventing you to continue, after having tried to figure it out for hours just so that you can't refund it anymore, of course. It might be a rare occurrence, but I find that unacceptable.

They may have fixed it in this new patch, but I highly doubt it. It was in the previous patch even though they had a long long time to fix such a basic issue.

No, the "tutorial" missions lead into the main story line, and everything else (base wise) you need. It is necessary to do it.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

9. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 15:21 ItBurn

I advise people to stay away as the tutorial can bug out preventing you to continue, after having tried to figure it out for hours just so that you can't refund it anymore, of course. It might be a rare occurrence, but I find that unacceptable.

They may have fixed it in this new patch, but I highly doubt it. It was in the previous patch even though they had a long long time to fix such a basic issue.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo