Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

No Borderlands 3 Preloads

A tweet from Tim Sweeney acknowledges that preloading Borderlands 3 will not be available through the Epic Games Store. PC Gamer notes the oddity of this, as the Epic Games Store Roadmap on Trello marks "Enable Preloading" as a feature that is already available. But in another response, the Epic Games CEO explains that trying to preload a "blockbuster" like the upcoming action/RPG sequel is "complicated":

Im sorry, we wont have support for preloading in the Borderlands release timeframe.

Its Complicated. Weve released support for file preloading which is sufficient for some games, but we arent certain its up to the demands of a blockbuster like Borderlands.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 16, 2019, 03:24 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 21:26:
You both know very well I'm talking about a feature that is available to EVERY game on Steam when needed as a platform feature. Conversely, Epic's Trello roadmap lists "Enable Pre-loading" as a "recently shipped feature" only it is not universally available to all games (e.g., Borderlands 3) per Tim.

Sometimes I wonder about you all. The lack of common sense knowledge at times is staggering.

Are you talking to me? I agreed with you for the most part, it's just dumb to go on about the year it was available or the other guy talking about the market share or whatever in 2004. HL2 was the (one of the?) biggest launches at that time and of course they needed preloading to make sure everyone was able to go right at the launch minute if possible. It's just not that often, and even less so as the infrastructure ramps up with popularity and can handle larger releases, that you need to do a preload. Epic's stated reason for not being able to do one is a lie or incompetence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 15, 2019, 21:26 Kxmode

You both know very well I'm talking about a feature that is available to EVERY game on Steam when needed as a platform feature. Conversely, Epic's Trello roadmap lists "Enable Pre-loading" as a "recently shipped feature" only it is not universally available to all games (e.g., Borderlands 3) per Tim.

Sometimes I wonder about you all. The lack of common sense knowledge at times is staggering.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 15, 2019, 19:35 Sepharo

DarkCntry wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 17:23:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 02:51:
Everything you need to know about this.

Epic made over 3 billion last year, and yet their store is held together by popsicle sticks and glue. BTW Steam had preloading for Half-Life 2 as far back as 2004, during a time when most consoles only had physical media. For PC gamers, preloading has been a standard thing for the past 15 years until this year...

If we're going to be completely impartial, you cannot compare Steam's ability to preload then to preloading today. What was the marketshare for Steam back in 2004? I mean, I can't really say outside of that the strain on Steam's infrastructure probably wasn't all that much back then.

Again, preloading is supposed to mitigate strain not cause it.

But yeah comparing the year that they had preloading available or even calling it common is kind of dumb. Preloading is rare on Steam as well, only very popular releases (ones expected to cause strain) tend to employ it. But yeah Borderlands 3 would definitely be a candidate for that, and I suspect EGS not having it available is far more about it not being coded (properly?) than being worried about strain.

40. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 15, 2019, 17:23 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 02:51:

Epic made over 3 billion last year, and yet their store is held together by popsicle sticks and glue. BTW Steam had preloading for Half-Life 2 as far back as 2004, during a time when most consoles only had physical media. For PC gamers, preloading has been a standard thing for the past 15 years until this year...

If we're going to be completely impartial, you cannot compare Steam's ability to preload then to preloading today. What was the marketshare for Steam back in 2004? I mean, I can't really say outside of that the strain on Steam's infrastructure probably wasn't all that much back then.

39. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 15, 2019, 02:51 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

38. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 15, 2019, 02:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Beamer wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 11:54:
I think Cyberpunk is one of the bigger risks to preorder.

As incredible as TW3 is, this is an incredibly complex game where so much can go wrong. Plus, it's a shooter, from a company that isn't traditionally a shooter dev. And it's a genre which has regularly sucked for shooters.

I can't think of any other game with more that can go wrong, largely because I can't think of any other game with more anything - its features make it incredibly complicated. Plus, outside of Deus Ex, it's really a genre combination that's been incredibly difficult to pull off.

I trust CDPR, but am absolutely waiting until we have more to go on here.

I'm not much of a preorder person, but this isn't exactly a huge 'risk.'

$60 or so in the US, slightly more in other countries, I don't sense any major financial liability there.

Also I doubt CDPR is going to abandon this game post launch, and the mod scene will probably be enormous!

ps. I'm finally playing through Witcher 3 now(35 hours in?) and loving it. Minor modding so far(increased weight limit, no item decay, slightly improved crossbow). Looking back over CDPR's games, they've gotten insanely better over time. Hell, Gwent, the mini game version inside Witcher 3, is better than a lot of indie games I've played recently. I will definitely get Cyberpunk 2077, and may even be tempted to pre-order if Gog eventually offers some decent bonus/discount. So far it's just wallpapers and crap though.

37. Re: G2A Refutes Unknown Worlds' Claim Aug 14, 2019, 14:54 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 11:54:

As incredible as TW3 is, this is an incredibly complex game where so much can go wrong. Plus, it's a shooter, from a company that isn't traditionally a shooter dev. And it's a genre which has regularly sucked for shooters.

I can't think of any other game with more that can go wrong, largely because I can't think of any other game with more anything - its features make it incredibly complicated. Plus, outside of Deus Ex, it's really a genre combination that's been incredibly difficult to pull off.

That's cool. CDPR understands that.

"since pre-orders are live, you might be wondering if theres any point in placing an order now. Yes, if you want to give us some extra support. Pre-orders help us build anticipation the more copies you pre-order, the more likely it is for us to get retail (both digital and physical) behind the game. Therefore, if you like what you see, we will appreciate you "voting yes" for CP2077 with a pre-order. If you are still hesitating though, we would rather you wait for more materials or reviews. Our goal is for you to truly enjoy CP2077 and not regret a pre-order."

That was a secret message from CDPR found in a Readme.txt file on a SSH server address shown in the Collectors Edition trailer.

36. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 11:54 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 11:42 DarkCntry

I preorder based upon available funds at any given time. I generally like to earmark the money by preordering a title that I am already guaranteed to purchase, allowing me not to worry about it later down the line.

I don't preorder based upon whatever tchotchkes are included, so eh...

34. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 05:15 Avus

Kxmode wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 04:09:
I'm certain a Cyberpunk 2077 preorder is safe based on CDPR's stellar track record.

That is the ONLY game I would consider for preorder, but again only for the standard RETAIL BOX version (for the physical goodies). Too bad it is NOT coming to Canada.

For those who doesn't know the stuff that come with Cyberpunk 2077 STANDARD retail box edition...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmQ8KYtWck

I like CD Projekt Red and stuff but I still won't preorder Cyberpunk 2077 digital edition because it is NOT NECESSARY.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2019, 05:26.

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

33. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 04:09 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 01:40:
This only affect the people who PREORDERED the game and preorder is a stupid thing to do specially for a digital version that will never run out of stock!

The last game I preordered was Forza Motorsport 3 Collector Edition for Xbox 360. (it is a retail box version)

Nowadays I don't even buy game at launch. I don't like to pay full price to do beta testing for AAA developers.

I'm certain a Cyberpunk 2077 preorder is safe based on CDPR's stellar track record.

32. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 04:07 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 22:06:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 21:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 20:33:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 20:21:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 19:03:
Y'all boycotting the game one day, now you're acting all impatient because you can't play it the first millisecond it goes live

Have some patience... go do your laundry or change your kid's diaper or something

wHAt YeAr Is iT?!
You need more than parenting lessons if you wait a year to change your kids diaper. Diapers even give a weight range like 8 to 14 pounds so you know how much shit they'll hold. Wink

Haha! I suppose most dudes rockin these forums still use 56k modems. Preloading is a must!
You can have my 56k modem when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

dO yOu GUys NoT hAVe K56fLEx?!

31. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 14, 2019, 01:40 Avus

This only affect the people who PREORDERED the game and preorder is a stupid thing to do specially for a digital version that will never run out of stock!

The last game I preordered was Forza Motorsport 3 Collector Edition for Xbox 360. (it is a retail box version)

Nowadays I don't even buy game at launch. I don't like to pay full price to do beta testing for AAA developers.

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

30. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 22:06 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 21:41:
Y'all boycotting the game one day, now you're acting all impatient because you can't play it the first millisecond it goes live

Have some patience... go do your laundry or change your kid's diaper or something

wHAt YeAr Is iT?!
You need more than parenting lessons if you wait a year to change your kids diaper. Diapers even give a weight range like 8 to 14 pounds so you know how much shit they'll hold. Wink

Haha! I suppose most dudes rockin these forums still use 56k modems. Preloading is a must!
You can have my 56k modem when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 21:41 Steele Johnson

wHAt YeAr Is iT?!

28. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 21:11 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 20:23:
GothicWizard wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 19:58:
And I am over here with Steam that will pre-load CP2077 and VTMB2 without issue. Just like I pre-loaded GTA V, Civ6, MK11 and others. It's calls a platform that is mature and built with forethought vs one rushed out. Marvel vs DCEU all over again.

It's not like Epic needs forethought. All they need to do is copy what Valve did and have preloading standard prior to launching their storefront. It's not rocket science. Just copy the competition.

Devil's Advocate here...

If Epic had done that and basically created a storefront with Steam parity, we'd have equally as much outcry because they "copied Steam"...

27. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 20:33 RedEye9

wHAt YeAr Is iT?!

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

26. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 20:23 Kxmode

GothicWizard wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 19:58:
And I am over here with Steam that will pre-load CP2077 and VTMB2 without issue. Just like I pre-loaded GTA V, Civ6, MK11 and others. It's calls a platform that is mature and built with forethought vs one rushed out. Marvel vs DCEU all over again.

It's not like Epic needs forethought. All they need to do is copy what Valve did and have preloading standard prior to launching their storefront. It's not rocket science. Just copy the competition.

25. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 20:21 Kxmode

wHAt YeAr Is iT?!

24. Re: No Borderlands 3 Preloads Aug 13, 2019, 20:20 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 17:05:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 16:54:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 14:04:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 13:39:
So now because of EGS incompetence Now I have to wait like 20 minutes for the game to download? WTF?

GOD! I am so sick of Tim Sweeney ignorant bullshit! Sure I don't dont know how to make it work, but I am at least smart enough to know that it's fucking easy.

Will it crash when everyone tries to DL at once? Inquiring minds want to know.

Probably not, last time I checked I am pretty much the only one willing to buy EGS exclusives. .
It boggles the mind how they are staying afloat with you being the only person buying things from them.

You could help. Epic would love for you to switch from being a freebie junkie to a paying customer. Apologies if you've already made the switch.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo