Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 14, 2019, 12:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 10:07:
Flatline wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 17:17:
And from what research I could take, your manager is encouraged to fire the bottom 10% of their team every year regardless of how good they are.

Any fucking manager or company that does this should be annihilated.

MS did the same thing for decades. Amazon and MS are some of the largest companies in the world.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 14, 2019, 10:07 Creston

And from what research I could take, your manager is encouraged to fire the bottom 10% of their team every year regardless of how good they are.

Any fucking manager or company that does this should be annihilated.

7. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 13, 2019, 22:16 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 22:10:
Fion wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 14:20:
You know that google, facebook, amazon and other big tech companies are building their own little cities? Turnover is so high at these companies that one day soon when you get hired at one of them, you'll live in their town, with their police (facebook already paid to build a precinct near their campus), their houses, their grocery store, their restaurants, their boutiques and other places to shop. They will be your life.

Don't believe me? Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxhuzjT9aM

The time of the cyberpunk waveslave is just around the corner. Because you'll live where they want you to live, you'll buy what they offer to sell you, they'll police you with their own cops. Quitting your job would mean changing your entire life.

I doubt Amazon will. They're enforced darwinian attrition is so high that building a captive city would go against their employment ethos. I've heard reports as high as 20%, and their pivot program is designed to get people out of the company as fast as possible once you lose the faith of your manager. And from what research I could take, your manager is encouraged to fire the bottom 10% of their team every year regardless of how good they are.

I was being considered for a network infrastructure job with them and did some deep dive into their culture and they *want* the high turnover. They're constantly in a "startup culture" mindset and intentionally treat employees, even high up employees, as replaceable. If you're lucky, you get a chill, capable team leader who protects you from the rest of the company. If you're not lucky, you get one that hates you. I eventually backed out for various reasons, but basically you have to be hyper-competitive to have a stable job in Amazon. Switching to an arcology driven business model would be a 180 for Amazon.

They tried to recruit me a few years ago. I did the same research. I need to respond to a midnight text within 5 minutes? F that BS.
Leave that shit for the young and dumb. It's also why there aren't too many 50 yo's charging machine gun bunkers, we be too old and wise for that.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

6. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 13, 2019, 22:10 jdreyer

You know that google, facebook, amazon and other big tech companies are building their own little cities? Turnover is so high at these companies that one day soon when you get hired at one of them, you'll live in their town, with their police (facebook already paid to build a precinct near their campus), their houses, their grocery store, their restaurants, their boutiques and other places to shop. They will be your life.

The time of the cyberpunk waveslave is just around the corner. Because you'll live where they want you to live, you'll buy what they offer to sell you, they'll police you with their own cops. Quitting your job would mean changing your entire life.

I doubt Amazon will. They're enforced darwinian attrition is so high that building a captive city would go against their employment ethos. I've heard reports as high as 20%, and their pivot program is designed to get people out of the company as fast as possible once you lose the faith of your manager. And from what research I could take, your manager is encouraged to fire the bottom 10% of their team every year regardless of how good they are.

I was being considered for a network infrastructure job with them and did some deep dive into their culture and they *want* the high turnover. They're constantly in a "startup culture" mindset and intentionally treat employees, even high up employees, as replaceable. If you're lucky, you get a chill, capable team leader who protects you from the rest of the company. If you're not lucky, you get one that hates you. I eventually backed out for various reasons, but basically you have to be hyper-competitive to have a stable job in Amazon. Switching to an arcology driven business model would be a 180 for Amazon.

They tried to recruit me a few years ago. I did the same research. I need to respond to a midnight text within 5 minutes? F that BS.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 13, 2019, 17:17 Flatline

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2019, 16:56 Sepharo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town

tech companies aren't doing this... well at least not yet

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2019, 15:52 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 15:48:

You mean they're coal mines?
Henry Ford did it with his employees, I guess that's why the first models were painted black, to remind people of coal.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2019, 15:48 Beamer

You mean they're coal mines?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2019, 14:20 Fion

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo