Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline

The G2A Website has an update on their proposal to develop a tool to help developer block game keys (thanks GamesIndustry.biz). This was a response to complaint about illegally obtained keys being sold through the service, and they said they wanted at least 100 developers to express interest in such a tool before they underwent the time and expense to create it. They initially set an August 15th deadline for such notifications, but now say they are extending this cutoff until the end of this month, as only 19 companies have signed on so far. On a related note, Charlie Cleveland tweets that he figures G2A now owes Unknown Worlds $300K based on G2A's promise to refund developers 10X the credit card chargebacks developers have lost due to G2A key sales. Here's G2A's new update:

You may remember our last post where we offered creating a key blocker to help developers blacklist review and giveaway keys on G2A Marketplace.

Creating such a tool is going to be time-consuming and expensive for us. This is why it would be great if at least 100 developers signed up – we just want to make sure that our key blocker is going to be used by many.

19 developers have signed up so far. Here’s their list:

• Beer Money Games,
  • Bossa Studios,
  • CCP Games,
  • Crimson Leaf LLC,
  • Deep Silver,
  • Dirty Beast Games,
  • Dynart,
  • Electrocosmos,
  • Farom Studio,
  • Fox Byte Games,
  • Hound Picked Games,
  • MetalBear,
  • Modoka Studios Entertainment,
  • Moonlight Mouse,
  • NYAARGH,
  • SimaGames,
  • Squidpunch Studios,
  • Tate Mutimedia,
  • Troglobytes Games.

Kudos to them!

We want to encourage more developers to join the cause, so we’re extending the deadline to the end of August 2019. This is also due to Gamescom coming up. We’ll get a chance to talk to many video game devs during the event and find out how we can help them more.

If you’re a developer and like our idea, don’t hesitate and sign up now!

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 20:38 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 08:57:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 01:57:
If 100 50 25 20 devs sign up we'll build it!

If you build it - they won't come!

Big publishers are like "meh." Small publishers are like "want." If lawsuits are brewing on the horizon, I think G2A eventually will have to make the thing to survive.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 09:08 Verno

I suspect those Subnautica devs will be waiting awhile!  

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

9. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 08:57 El Pit

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 01:57:

If you build it - they won't come!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

8. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 01:57 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 01:13 jacobvandy

It's not surprising that there aren't a lot of big name devs signing up for this. Big name devs probably aren't interested in cooperating with these people, by moral choice or by association with a major publisher that refuses to even acknowledge their legitimacy, and would sooner just take it to court if they could prove the damages. I doubt G2A ever intended to follow through, they just want to be able to say they tried. They knew they wouldn't get 100 devs to want to do this, and who's to say they wouldn't simply "miss" a few calls or emails if they somehow did?  

6. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 13, 2019, 00:22 DarkCntry

It's kinda an odd list of groups there...most are studios that have released only a single game, and those are generally less than a year old and the vast majority of them are mobile titles, or mobile titles ported to PC...

I really am not finding any confidence in this list in allaying doubt of G2A's 'attempt' at legitimate measures to combat illegal sales.

5. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 12, 2019, 22:33 Creston

Multiple devs have challenged them on the "We'll pay you 10 times the damages back!" bullshit, and of course, so far G2A hasn't paid jack fucking shit.

They are scum shit, and a fucking bloated tick on the face of PC gaming.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2019, 21:25  Blue 

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 21:10:
Deep Silver is the only one I recognize. I don't know if their bothering to sign on reflects well or poorly on them.

Despite the list calling it a list of developers, Deep Silver is a publisher. You've probably also heard of CCP, since they developed EVE Online. Oddly, EVE Online is free to play, so they are probably signed on because G2A also sells virtual currencies, such as EVE's Plex.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 12, 2019, 21:10 Bill Borre

Deep Silver is the only one I recognize. I don't know if their bothering to sign on reflects well or poorly on them.  

2. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 12, 2019, 20:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

All major studios, I see. /s (obviously! :o)

1. Re: G2A Extends Keyblocking Tool Signup Deadline Aug 12, 2019, 19:21 RedEye9

Look ma, we be getting free advertising.  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo