Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: etc. Aug 13, 2019, 15:45 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 14:08:
Games will be even more splintered. You'll have to own accounts from EA, Ubi, ActiBlizz, Take2, Rockstar, Bethesda, and Steam (for indies).

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of people seem against games as a service regardless of implementation, which seems dumb. As I said, I'll wait and see pricing before being concerned.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: etc. Aug 13, 2019, 14:08 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 10:49:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 06:31:
Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 15:17:
Music as a service has been a wonderful thing for me. I listened to nearly 2,000 individual tracks in 2018. At $0.99 per track, that would cost as much as about 18 years of Spotify Premium. Even if you think in terms of buying albums and ripping them, I listened to songs from over 900 albums. At even $5 per album, that's over 40 years of Spotify Premium.

Video as a service has worked out pretty well, too. I'm much happier with Prime and Hulu than I ever was with broadcast television.

Not sure where the price point would fall for games as a service, but I'm a lot less concerned than many of you. Just going by history, I'm getting more than my money's worth. It's not perfect, but it allows me to be far more adventurous. Games aren't as easy to consume, but if the price point is right, I see it being a good thing.
Don't compare Prime and Hulu to broadcast TV. Compare it to owning the disks of the shows and movies you love. There are pros and cons to owning media, but the biggest advantage is building a library perfectly suited to your tastes.

Yeah, but I don't see that as an advantage. I can build the same library digitally, without having to dedicate a huge chunk of my living space to storing discs that collect dust for years at a time and are a huge hassle to move if you do.

Not to mention, the principle is the same for music as video, and I cover buying music.

The big downside I always see is "what if your provider goes out of business?!" Great. If Spotify goes under tomorrow, someone else will be in its place. Yes, every dime I paid to Spotify is gone, but now I pay someone else, and am still thousands of dollars behind had I paid for the media. And I'm free to explore new things I otherwise would have ignored if I'd had to pay for it.

Sure, if you don't want discs due to space concerns, buy the digital versions. The point is you can't acquire a specific library of movies via one or two streaming services. Not even Disney+ will have all the Marvel movies available, for example (if that's your thing).

The point I'm trying to make is that streaming works fine for music. All the premium streaming services have all the music, because royalties are paid on play. It doesn't work that way for movies or games. You'll have to have all the streaming services to get all the movies. Games will be even more splintered. You'll have to own accounts from EA, Ubi, ActiBlizz, Take2, Rockstar, Bethesda, and Steam (for indies).

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: etc. Aug 13, 2019, 10:49 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2019, 06:31:
Music as a service has been a wonderful thing for me. I listened to nearly 2,000 individual tracks in 2018. At $0.99 per track, that would cost as much as about 18 years of Spotify Premium. Even if you think in terms of buying albums and ripping them, I listened to songs from over 900 albums. At even $5 per album, that's over 40 years of Spotify Premium.

Video as a service has worked out pretty well, too. I'm much happier with Prime and Hulu than I ever was with broadcast television.

Not sure where the price point would fall for games as a service, but I'm a lot less concerned than many of you. Just going by history, I'm getting more than my money's worth. It's not perfect, but it allows me to be far more adventurous. Games aren't as easy to consume, but if the price point is right, I see it being a good thing.
Don't compare Prime and Hulu to broadcast TV. Compare it to owning the disks of the shows and movies you love. There are pros and cons to owning media, but the biggest advantage is building a library perfectly suited to your tastes.

Yeah, but I don't see that as an advantage. I can build the same library digitally, without having to dedicate a huge chunk of my living space to storing discs that collect dust for years at a time and are a huge hassle to move if you do.

Not to mention, the principle is the same for music as video, and I cover buying music.

The big downside I always see is "what if your provider goes out of business?!" Great. If Spotify goes under tomorrow, someone else will be in its place. Yes, every dime I paid to Spotify is gone, but now I pay someone else, and am still thousands of dollars behind had I paid for the media. And I'm free to explore new things I otherwise would have ignored if I'd had to pay for it.

-------------

6. Re: etc. Aug 13, 2019, 06:31 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 18:51 saluk

I was one of the few on board with stadia. I'm OK not owning a game - I tend to play them once, or spend 10 or so hours on a big 60 hour open world game, and put it on the shelf for the next couple years feeling guilty about not getting my money's worth out of it. I have 1000s of unplayed games. A good streaming service that caters to my adhd letting me sample all of the games I want as my attention wavers would be killer.

And latency isn't a huge issue for most of the games I play as well.

Then they announced pricing. You are buying the games but not owning them. One free game a month... just like Epic gives me now, or pay 10$ a month on steam to find something good on sale for a nearly equivalent value. Well, less in that you can't download the games and play them offline/mod them etc. So it solves none of my problems with the current gaming markets.

Origin access just gets you discounts.

Uplay+ is the closest to what I would want but the library isn't quite there. I buy one or two ubisoft games a year. Let's call that 120$ (I usually buy them on sale but just for comparison). That's 10$ a year which is cheaper than the uplay+ subscription.

Nope. I don't think the economics here are going to make sense anytime soon for a large amount of disruption.

4. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 15:17 Beamer

-------------

3. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 13:26 Cutter

Bumpy wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 13:16:
Yup, like supporting Epic exclusives, the masses don't care.

Get ready for 10 different pay subscription accounts to play all the games you wanted.

In which case people will simply rent the service they want until they're done with it then move on to the next. Personally I think I'd prefer that model if I can't resell my games - so long as it's cheap enough to justify it.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

2. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 13:16 Bumpy

Yup, like supporting Epic exclusives, the masses don't care.

Get ready for 10 different pay subscription accounts to play all the games you wanted.

1. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 12:29 Tipsy McStagger

Gamers are too stupid to realize this is bad.

Too many idiots will sign up for Game Streaming.. it's going to happen.

Just don't play it and it'll go away.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >