Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I asked recently for opinions on the humidity levels in my semi-subterranean lair here at the BlueTower. The follow-up is that we got a dehumidifier going down here yesterday. This has already made a difference, as the 24 hour history on my hygrometer shows a high of 63%, but it's now down to 47%, which is pretty close to ideal. You can definitely tell the difference already, the air feels and smells drier, so I'm happy with the decision. We also found what appears to be a drain in the storage area after moving a bag of salt that was covering it. This seems to have some debris in it, so we need to figure out if it's an actual working drain. If it is, I'll be able to run a hose into it from the dehumidifier and not need to manually empty its reservoir, which would be convenient. But either way, it's nice to have a handle on the situation.

Dry Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: New Amazon Service Lets Customers Boost Shipping Speed With Easy One-Click Charge To Whip Delivery Person.
Stories: The Vegetarians Who Turned Into Butchers. Thanks RedEye9.
Woman put octopus on her face -- it bit her and she had to go to the hospital.
Science: Hubble Telescope's Gorgeous New Jupiter Views Could Help Demystify Shrinking Great Red Spot.
Jupiter just got slammed by something so big we saw it from Earth. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Scientists discover fossils of giant parrot. Thanks Max.
Media: “Who else wishes it was 5pm already??”
Boom goes the Russian artillery powder warehouse.
Accident At Blake's Truck.
Follow-up: Italians decided to fight a conspiracy theory. Here’s what happened next.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2019, 10:43 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2019, 09:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 12:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 10:54:
The federal prison in Lower Manhattan needs to rethink how they do suicide watch. Wink
Definitely a good thing/bad thing situation. I look forward to hearing their explanation on how their suicide watch failed.
I see prison officials are now neither confirming or denying Epstein was still on a suicide watch. So, there you go...
Cost to look the other way, 20k. Cost to get removed from sui watch, priceless.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2019, 09:46 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 12:35:
The federal prison in Lower Manhattan needs to rethink how they do suicide watch. Wink
Definitely a good thing/bad thing situation. I look forward to hearing their explanation on how their suicide watch failed.
I see prison officials are now neither confirming or denying Epstein was still on a suicide watch. So, there you go...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2019, 13:05 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 12:59:
I look forward to decades of conspiracy theories arguing over whether the Clintons or trump offed him...
duh, T'was the ghost of Lee Harvey Oswald.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2019, 12:59 Beamer

I look forward to decades of conspiracy theories arguing over whether the Clintons or trump offed him...  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2019, 12:35 Mr. Tact

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2019, 10:54 RedEye9

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 23:42 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 16:45:
Also massive kudos to whatever magic they use to keep Hubble running.
Liberal applications of mylar coated duck tape and regular rubdowns with wd40.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 23:05 Topaz

Unfortunately, running a dehumidifier eats electricity, especially in the summer, since it's basically an air-conditioner/heater combo.

If you have bare concrete or cinderblock walls, waterproofing paint is a better option. We had it applied to our basement walls before we moved into our current house ~7 years ago and it's been great. We still have a dehumidifier from our old house, but we haven't needed to use it in our basement anymore.

We used Drylok wall paint: http://www.drylok.com/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 18:17 Neutronbeam

Well, Stephen, I've ALWAYS considered you to have a dry sense of humor.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 16:45 eRe4s3r

I admit that tentacle face story made me laugh, good thing I was not holding my coffee cup.

Also massive kudos to whatever magic they use to keep Hubble running.

9. Re: woman & octopus Aug 9, 2019, 14:08 Hoop

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 10:51:
What did she think was going to happen?

She thought it would laugh & a friendship would develop, eventually both would circumnavigate the world in a hot air balloon accompanied by Dumbo, Donald Duck & the characters from Frozen.

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 13:18 jdreyer

New Amazon Service Lets Customers Boost Shipping Speed With Easy One-Click Charge To Whip Delivery Person.

So kind of like Peter Molyneux's Black and White hand smacking to speed things up.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 12:59 RedEye9

Not all idiots are anti-vaxxers but all anti-vaxxers are idiots.
Italians figure out that idiots don't respond well to being called idiots. I could have told them that just by reading this forum

Jupiter takes another one for the team. We'd be dead w/out that ball.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 12:46 Roachmojo

What a goddamned hillbilly thing to do. Octopus are intelligent and feeling creatures. Welcome to hillbilly Western Washington.  

5. removed Aug 9, 2019, 12:31 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 9, 2019, 14:42.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 12:04 El Pit

47% is really good. Let's see how humidity changes over winter but you're good for now.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2019, 12:01 Mr. Tact

We are going to really miss the Hubble once it shuts down. Let's hope they manage to get the JWST launched successfully...  

2. Re: Octopus Kisses and vegan butchers Aug 9, 2019, 11:56 Pigeon

When you mess with another animal for your own amusement you pretty much deserve this kind of thing. Too bad it wasn't more venomous, we already have enough of the 'I think the world exists to cater to my whims' types.

Speaking of which while I don't disagree with most of the sentiments behind those ex-vegetarian ethical butchers, I can't help but feel that if it wasn't god-mode hipster they wouldn't be doing it.

1. Re: woman & octopus Aug 9, 2019, 10:51 Bill Borre

What did she think was going to happen?  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo