Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2019, 14:57 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 02:53:
SunnyD wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 01:03:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 17:31:
afka Rossini wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 16:50:
I don't think I've seen Karl Urban as anything other than Bones McCoy. So his accent was unexpected.

He's also an awesome judge dredd.

Underverse take your Breeder hides! HOW did you forget the Lord Marshall's favorite necromonger commander, Vaako?!

~Finis~

Oh shit! He was also Vaako!

Man he's been in some good movies (from my perspective of enjoyment)

Funny that this Karl Urban roles retrospective dropped yesterday on io9:

Karls Urban, Ranked

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Metaverse - The Boys Aug 9, 2019, 06:43 Jonjonz

Best dark comedy in years...

But hey, it's fiction right, this great country could never get hoodwinked like this by a bunch of evil corporations and charlatans. :-)

Just hope it continues without slipping into typical series soap opera chum like GOT did about half way through.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2019, 02:53 Tipsy McStagger

I don't think I've seen Karl Urban as anything other than Bones McCoy. So his accent was unexpected.

Underverse take your Breeder hides! HOW did you forget the Lord Marshall's favorite necromonger commander, Vaako?!

~Finis~

Oh shit! He was also Vaako!

Man he's been in some good movies (from my perspective of enjoyment)

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2019, 02:02 afka Rossini

~Finis~

Doh! My brain must've gone pitch black.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2019, 01:03 SunnyD

~Finis~

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 22:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Seth Rogen was involved with the Boys show? Bleh, I thought he was at least somewhat an old school comics guy; can't believe he went so far off the source material.

That said, I found the show enjoyable, it should have just been called something else, since they changed basically every aspect of the comic except a few character names. Some of the changes were probably made out of fear, some.. no discernable reason.

*EDIT* Also, wow, gigantic misstep for Netflix, spending a ton of money on Benioff and Weiss, whose shit writing ability has been on display for the last few seasons of GoT. I expect Netflix prices to go up once D&D's movies/shows arrive as hot garbage.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 22:25 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 22:05:
It's a solid 9 out of 10 for me. I enjoyed this show more than pretty much anything else I've watched in the last two years, probably only the Expanse excluded.
You might like Legion.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 22:05 Creston

SPOILERS FOR THE BOYS SEASON ONE. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT. GO WATCH IT, IT'S REALLY AWESOME.

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 15:32:
I don't know if I'd say amazing, but very entertaining. It still had some warts that brought it down a bit. I think the casting of Homelander was lacking, as he could sell the evil sleaze side well but not really the all-American boyscout facade - he always came across as menacing.

I honestly felt that that was kind of the point with Homelander. Anyone looking at him closely could see that he was all fake. And he was ALL fake, as everyone who knew him slightly better was totally terrified of him, with maybe a slight exception for Maeve.

I thought Anthony Starr played him extremely well. He pulled off the "Hey, I'm trying to pretend to be good here but I can't quite do it" thing excellently. Especially his facial expressions throughout the season were very well done in giving away his true feelings. Especially his loathing of the Deep, and really of mankind in general, just shone through almost constantly.

The whole chosen-by-God thing seemed to come out of nowhere, all of a sudden we're in GWB-era religious revivals sweeping the country,

I don't feel that it was sweeping the country? They investigated Believe because the Compound V trail led them there, and I think really the only reason Homelander was there was to keep Ezekiel on a leash and to keep check of the Compound V shipments. I really don't see that the entire country was swept up in this.

but hadn't really set up that Vought pushed these guys with a religous angle (that now feels dated.)

But they didn't do that angle for everyone. They did it for Starlight, obviously, since that's where she came from, and they did it for Homelander because that's where his majority fanbase came from, but they didn't really push that hard for anyone else?

And Deep could have been an incredible character, but he started on such an irredeemable note that the tone felt off - he was sad to the point of being sympathetic, it seemed, even though he was a rapist. Had they not done the rape (just made it a misunderstanding when he took his pants off), or had they not gone after a tone that made him likeable (and made his pet cause one that's actually widely popular - being anti-Seaworld) it would have worked better.

Again, I feel that that was the point. That as soon as someone showed up who DIDN'T put up with the Deep's shit anymore (at least after the initial bit), his shtick totally fell through and he was revealed to be even more fake than Homelander.

All the shit that happens to the Deep was some of my favorite stuff of this entire season. I loved seeing him get hammered deeper and deeper into the shit. It totally sets up him going "Bad" (I think like eco-terrorism?) in season 2 and then getting the everloving fuck beaten out of him by Starlight.

Very worth watching, but like a 7 out of 10. Which, I suppose, is better than nearly all first seasons.

It's a solid 9 out of 10 for me. I enjoyed this show more than pretty much anything else I've watched in the last two years, probably only the Expanse excluded.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 20:06 jdreyer

That Dredd movie is great. Urban was also good in LotR.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 18:39 Nullity

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 17:16:
In the comic book (which I hear is awful), Deep doesn't do the raping, A-Train does. Which complicates A-Train too much, so they had Deep do it here, and thought that what happens in Ohio was nicely symmetric.

I still disagree. Deep, outside of that one action, is a likeable enough dipshit. He tries hard, he's earnest, and he's actually pretty good at his job despite no one respecting him. Of the superhero stuff we see, a good chunk comes from him. He does a fine job at the dock, he finds the crate at the bottom of the ocean, etc. He's more competent than he's given credit for, and seems like a nice enough guy outside of, y'know, that irredeemable thing.

But the show doesn't treat it like that. It doesn't make the point of "even the nicest people could be predators." Nor does it make Deep anything more than nicely (but blandly) pathetic. His patheticness, and the actor portraying him, are fairly endearing.

Which makes it bad. I get what you're saying about how it opens (which, I mean, duh, of course that's why she was raped), and yes, having it open like that is a key to the whole show (though any number of bad actions could be that key), but making it Deep doing it destroys the arc he's given. He gets no redemption, but his storyline is given a tone that makes him otherwise likeable. Deep didn't need to be the character doing this. They shoe-horned it into his plotline because they couldn't think of anyone else to do it, but didn't then adjust the rest of his arc.
I get where you're coming from, but I guess I just interpreted his character arc a bit differently. It's not like the rape happened and then it was never addressed again. Stillwell confronted him about it to make him give his corporate PR non-apology before shipping him off to Ohio, and he even had a discussion with Starlight about it at the docks. Except he brushed it off like it was no big deal before Starlight put him in his place. The writers obviously thought about the implications of having Deep commit the rape, as that would have been a perfect opportunity for him to try and apologize or otherwise make up for it, but he never did.

In fact, I don't remember any point where it seemed like he felt remorse, even in private. Given that, I personally don't feel it ruins his character arc, it just alters the meaning of it.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 17:31 Tipsy McStagger

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 17:16 Beamer

Nullity wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 16:21:

And Deep could have been an incredible character, but he started on such an irredeemable note that the tone felt off - he was sad to the point of being sympathetic, it seemed, even though he was a rapist. Had they not done the rape (just made it a misunderstanding when he took his pants off), or had they not gone after a tone that made him likeable (and made his pet cause one that's actually widely popular - being anti-Seaworld) it would have worked better.
Deep's irredeemable introduction was very deliberate, as it set up the whole premise of "fake asshole heroes", and set up Starlight's main character arc. They needed to introduce the concept somehow, so one of the supes had to be "it". Personally, I think hitting the audience with it like a ton of bricks in that way worked better than if they would have gradually or subtly worked up to it.

Also, later making Deep seem "sad" was also an important step (in that he was then violated similarly to how he treated Starlight), but I didn't feel it was in a sympathetic manner - more "pathetic" and "got what you deserve/see how you like it".

I saw the side-plot of Deep attempting to rescue captive sea-animals as a consequence of him trying to find something to make himself feel relevant after no one gave a shit about him anymore. While normally that would be a worthy cause, he bungled that too and it backfired on him.

In the comic book (which I hear is awful), Deep doesn't do the raping, A-Train does. Which complicates A-Train too much, so they had Deep do it here, and thought that what happens in Ohio was nicely symmetric.

I still disagree. Deep, outside of that one action, is a likeable enough dipshit. He tries hard, he's earnest, and he's actually pretty good at his job despite no one respecting him. Of the superhero stuff we see, a good chunk comes from him. He does a fine job at the dock, he finds the crate at the bottom of the ocean, etc. He's more competent than he's given credit for, and seems like a nice enough guy outside of, y'know, that irredeemable thing.

But the show doesn't treat it like that. It doesn't make the point of "even the nicest people could be predators." Nor does it make Deep anything more than nicely (but blandly) pathetic. His patheticness, and the actor portraying him, are fairly endearing.

Which makes it bad. I get what you're saying about how it opens (which, I mean, duh, of course that's why she was raped), and yes, having it open like that is a key to the whole show (though any number of bad actions could be that key), but making it Deep doing it destroys the arc he's given. He gets no redemption, but his storyline is given a tone that makes him otherwise likeable. Deep didn't need to be the character doing this. They shoe-horned it into his plotline because they couldn't think of anyone else to do it, but didn't then adjust the rest of his arc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 16:50 afka Rossini

Nullity wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 14:55:
Fion wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 13:51:
I just finished watching The Boys season 1 last night, and I really like the show. For those that haven't heard:

It's premise is 'super heroes in real life', with human ego's and potential for corruption, mental illness, and the exploitation of these 'heroes' by a mega-corporation. It's based around a guy who wants revenge on a hero that wronged him and who gets involved with a group of guys that want all 'supes' dead, as they get in over their head and reveal a giant conspiracy.

It's funny, it's dramatic, and it's quite well done. It also ends with a serious curve-ball.
+1

The Boys was amazing, can't wait for season 2.

I don't know if I'd say amazing, but very entertaining. It still had some warts that brought it down a bit. I think the casting of Homelander was lacking, as he could sell the evil sleaze side well but not really the all-American boyscout facade - he always came across as menacing. The whole chosen-by-God thing seemed to come out of nowhere, all of a sudden we're in GWB-era religious revivals sweeping the country, but hadn't really set up that Vought pushed these guys with a religous angle (that now feels dated.) And Deep could have been an incredible character, but he started on such an irredeemable note that the tone felt off - he was sad to the point of being sympathetic, it seemed, even though he was a rapist. Had they not done the rape (just made it a misunderstanding when he took his pants off), or had they not gone after a tone that made him likeable (and made his pet cause one that's actually widely popular - being anti-Seaworld) it would have worked better.

Very worth watching, but like a 7 out of 10. Which, I suppose, is better than nearly all first seasons.

The Boys is a refreshing take on superheroes. It's also dark in a different way than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. And it has a good cast.

I thought the actor playing Homelander was actually quite good. He certainly looked the part. Erin Moriarty is very easy on the eyes. I don't think I've seen Karl Urban as anything other than Bones McCoy. So his accent was unexpected.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 16:45 RedEye9

Banshee looks good. thanks Nullity.  

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 16:21 Nullity

Warning, spoilers (although nothing too major)...

I don't know if I'd say amazing, but very entertaining. It still had some warts that brought it down a bit. I think the casting of Homelander was lacking, as he could sell the evil sleaze side well but not really the all-American boyscout facade - he always came across as menacing.
I disagree with this, I thought Anthony Starr was excellent. His public-facing persona evoked old-school Reeves Superman, while being just over-the-top and sarcastic enough as a wink to the audience who knows it's all an act. I thought he did an excellent job.

As an aside, for anyone who hasn't seen it, he was the lead in another show called "Banshee" on Cinemax that was really good. I highly recommend it.

The whole chosen-by-God thing seemed to come out of nowhere, all of a sudden we're in GWB-era religious revivals sweeping the country, but hadn't really set up that Vought pushed these guys with a religous angle (that now feels dated.)
I do agree that they could have done a little better job setting that up, as it kinda came out of nowhere. It was hinted at a few times before that episode, but not quite enough so that it wasn't a surprise. Though it didn't take long to put the pieces together, so I don't feel it was too much of a detriment.

Deep's irredeemable introduction was very deliberate, as it set up the whole premise of "fake asshole heroes", and set up Starlight's main character arc. They needed to introduce the concept somehow, so one of the supes had to be "it". Personally, I think hitting the audience with it like a ton of bricks in that way worked better than if they would have gradually or subtly worked up to it.

Also, later making Deep seem "sad" was also an important step (in that he was then violated similarly to how he treated Starlight), but I didn't feel it was in a sympathetic manner - more "pathetic" and "got what you deserve/see how you like it".

I saw the side-plot of Deep attempting to rescue captive sea-animals as a consequence of him trying to find something to make himself feel relevant after no one gave a shit about him anymore. While normally that would be a worthy cause, he bungled that too and it backfired on him.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 16:13 RedEye9

I just finished watching The Boys season 1 last night, and I really like the show. For those that haven't heard:

It's premise is 'super heroes in real life', with human ego's and potential for corruption, mental illness, and the exploitation of these 'heroes' by a mega-corporation. It's based around a guy who wants revenge on a hero that wronged him and who gets involved with a group of guys that want all 'supes' dead, as they get in over their head and reveal a giant conspiracy.

It's funny, it's dramatic, and it's quite well done. It also ends with a serious curve-ball.
+1

Agreed

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 15:32 Beamer

+1

I don't know if I'd say amazing, but very entertaining. It still had some warts that brought it down a bit. I think the casting of Homelander was lacking, as he could sell the evil sleaze side well but not really the all-American boyscout facade - he always came across as menacing. The whole chosen-by-God thing seemed to come out of nowhere, all of a sudden we're in GWB-era religious revivals sweeping the country, but hadn't really set up that Vought pushed these guys with a religous angle (that now feels dated.) And Deep could have been an incredible character, but he started on such an irredeemable note that the tone felt off - he was sad to the point of being sympathetic, it seemed, even though he was a rapist. Had they not done the rape (just made it a misunderstanding when he took his pants off), or had they not gone after a tone that made him likeable (and made his pet cause one that's actually widely popular - being anti-Seaworld) it would have worked better.

-------------

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 14:55 Nullity

+1

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 13:51 Fion

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2019, 13:23 Beamer

I get Hulu for $2 because I have Spotify. That bundle kills this bundle, since I've been trying to avoid paying for ESPN my entire life.  

-------------

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >