Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy

IGN reports the hashtag #BoycottBorderlands3 was trending on Twitter this morning following a video by Borderlands YouTuber SupMatto saying he was visited by private investigators hired by Take-Two looking into Borderlands 3 information leaks. They have a statement on the topic from the publisher: "Take Two and 2K take the security and confidentiality of trade secrets very seriously," a 2K Games representative told them. "The action we’ve taken is the result of a 10-month investigation and a history of this creator profiting from breaking our policies, leaking confidential information about our product, and infringing our copyright." The report says SupMatto claims he learned all his secrets from videos found on Twitch, but Take-Two claims this was through use of an exploit. IGN also reports that at one point SupMatto was allegedly offering insider Borderlands 3 details as a paid membership perk. Word is SupMatto's Discord channel was shut down with the following notice: "Your account was involved in selling, promoting, or distributing cheats, hacks, or cracked accounts." It also seems his Twitter account is dead, and IGN says he has deleted some of the YouTube videos with some of his insider information. They also state Take-Two is not pursuing further legal action against him, but that a larger investigation into leaks is ongoing.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 11:17 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 10:12:
We live in the faux outrage age as witnessed by this and any EGS thread.

Chill out there little guy, people made text on the internet, they didn't march on Epic headquarters. Speaking of faux outrage hahah.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 10:52 Quinn

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 10:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 09:55:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 08:16:
What is wrong with some of you? He did not sign any NDA nor is an employee. Take-Two has no right to interrogate him whatsoever. As someone mentioned in an earlier thread, they can insist he remove copyrighted screenshots, but that is about it. I don't see how they have the power to affect his other accounts.

Good thing I will have nothing to do with these asshats.

"Interrogate him," lmao, as if he was grabbed off the street and hooked up to a car battery in the basement of an abandoned building... These "goons" as people are calling them were almost certainly no more threatening than a Jehovah's witness coming by and asking if you'd like to share a verse. Maybe he's one of those special snowflakes of this generation that feels violated by face-to-face human interaction, but that doesn't mean what they did was illegal or even uncool. Pro tip: you don't have to answer your door for strangers who aren't cops, and you don't have to answer questions they ask even if they are.
We live in the faux outrage age as witnessed by this and any EGS thread. I prefer to think of the interrogation as something along the lines like what they did to Proinsias Cassidy in preacher. spoiler He was hooked him up to a blood iv so he'd heal and they continuously castrated him. /spoiler

I can see the poor idiot now. 3 masked commandos jump out of a black panel van, they grab him and leave nothing but his upside down trycycle with its wheels still spinning.

If you want to have a discussion or any form of conversation, speak. All of the above is just white noise.

Try to look at everything that happened. Don't bite down on one thing like some rapid dog. Hell, forget about the entire interrogation part for all I care. These fuckers had his social media channels basically shut down. I don't like it at all, but that shit is basically on par with the definition of a "public space" anno 2019. Even without the private investigators, this shit is still a problem.

Also, why not ignore the info I posted earlier, right? About the "exploit" actually being a goddamn Twitch feature? It doesn't suit your made-up opinion and changing it is something you still consider a weakness. I truly think you can only consider yourself a critical thinking adult once you realize that having your mind changed is, in fact, a beautiful thing.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

25. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 10:12 RedEye9

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 09:55:
What is wrong with some of you? He did not sign any NDA nor is an employee. Take-Two has no right to interrogate him whatsoever. As someone mentioned in an earlier thread, they can insist he remove copyrighted screenshots, but that is about it. I don't see how they have the power to affect his other accounts.

"Interrogate him," lmao, as if he was grabbed off the street and hooked up to a car battery in the basement of an abandoned building... These "goons" as people are calling them were almost certainly no more threatening than a Jehovah's witness coming by and asking if you'd like to share a verse. Maybe he's one of those special snowflakes of this generation that feels violated by face-to-face human interaction, but that doesn't mean what they did was illegal or even uncool. Pro tip: you don't have to answer your door for strangers who aren't cops, and you don't have to answer questions they ask even if they are.
We live in the faux outrage age as witnessed by this and any EGS thread. I prefer to think of the interrogation as something along the lines like what they did to Proinsias Cassidy in preacher. spoiler He was hooked him up to a blood iv so he'd heal and they continuously castrated him. /spoiler

I can see the poor idiot now. 3 masked commandos jump out of a black panel van, they grab him and leave nothing but his upside down trycycle with its wheels still spinning.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

24. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 10:07 Verno

Slick wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 05:53:
So you'd feel the same if someone found a "glitch" to access sensitive personal information about you and then sold access to that information to the public?

Sure let's say this thing is like this other totally unrelated thing, now argue in favor of my ridiculous scenario. That's not how comparisons work. You even used the word crime earlier, I had to laugh at that one. If they want to sue him, fine. Let the courts settle it I say, its a civil matter. I don't think we have all the facts anyway.

Say I was an asshole that no one liked

I would be careful with that argument hahaha.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

23. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 09:55 jacobvandy

22. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 08:24 HoSpanky

Quinn wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 07:51:
headshot wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 06:41:
Quinn wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 06:35:

"The report says SupMatto claims he learned all his secrets from videos found on Twitch, but Take-Two claims this was through use of an exploit."

take-two does.

Exploit:
make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand.

I can understand Take-Two making it sound like that, but in the end it was just negligence on their part. An inquisitive fan now pays the price for a behemoth of a company's negligence.

It had to do with a Twitch username being visible during an E3 stream. Here's a good YT channel explaining it in short:

https://youtu.be/8kmC0NZShfM?t=62

Thanks for this. So he wasn’t using an “exploit”, he was using a standard feature of Twitch. Fuck Take2, their own employees caused the “leaks” by recycling a username they made very public during E3.

21. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 08:16 Ozmodan

20. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 07:51 Quinn

headshot wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 06:41:

"The report says SupMatto claims he learned all his secrets from videos found on Twitch, but Take-Two claims this was through use of an exploit."

take-two does.

Exploit:
make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand.

I can understand Take-Two making it sound like that, but in the end it was just negligence on their part. An inquisitive fan now pays the price for a behemoth of a company's negligence.

It had to do with a Twitch username being visible during an E3 stream. Here's a good YT channel explaining it in short:

https://youtu.be/8kmC0NZShfM?t=62

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

19. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 06:41 headshot

take-two does.

18. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 06:35 Quinn

Slick wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 05:53:
So you'd feel the same if someone found a "glitch" to access sensitive personal information about you and then sold access to that information to the public?

By a couple admissions in this very thread, it's been brought up that EGS has problems with messaging with their consumers, this is used as justification? They aren't nice guys so fuckem!

Say I was an asshole that no one liked, would that exonerate you from glitching to access private information about me and then selling it to the public? I am an asshole after all, so would you feel justified?

Who is talking about glitches?

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

17. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 05:53 Slick

By a couple admissions in this very thread, it's been brought up that EGS has problems with messaging with their consumers, this is used as justification? They aren't nice guys so fuckem!

Say I was an asshole that no one liked, would that exonerate you from glitching to access private information about me and then selling it to the public? I am an asshole after all, so would you feel justified?

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

16. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 05:41 ExGemini

El Pit wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 03:27:
2K/Take 2 even temporally suspended the presale of Borderlands 3 on the Epic store when Epic paid $10 on every sale of an expensive game during their special sale months ago. They wouldn't have lost a single dime - they just didn't want gamers to get B3 cheaper than 2K/Take2 wanted. Which puts them in bed with not so well regarded companies like EA in my opinion.

You change the names, change the clothes, they are all still pieces of shit.

15. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 05:39 ExGemini

Slick wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 00:56:
Leaker got caught leaking and profiting from said leaks, that's the story. So now what... boycott the game? We're now siding with the perp of the crime instead of the victim? And you can fuck right off if your values all of a sudden switch polarity because the victim is a studio and not a private citizen. Quite the moral argument to be making.

The fuck...

And we got the usuall corporate bitch.
Slick, you never disapoint.

14. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 05:34 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 22:15:
Doesn't make ant sense. Why not just fix the exploit if what they say is true? Why let him continue for 10 months, if they take security seriously?

Nothing makes Ant sense!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 03:27 El Pit

2K/Take 2 even temporally suspended the presale of Borderlands 3 on the Epic store when Epic paid $10 on every sale of an expensive game during their special sale months ago. They wouldn't have lost a single dime - they just didn't want gamers to get B3 cheaper than 2K/Take2 wanted. Which puts them in bed with not so well regarded companies like EA in my opinion.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 02:47 Mordhaus

Quinn wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 01:46:
Mordhaus wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 01:32:
Leaker got caught leaking and profiting from said leaks, that's the story. So now what... boycott the game? We're now siding with the perp of the crime instead of the victim? And you can fuck right off if your values all of a sudden switch polarity because the victim is a studio and not a private citizen. Quite the moral argument to be making.

The fuck...

1. It's a studio that is...somewhat clueless when it comes to PR and relationships with gamers. There is not a lot of love lost between their customers and the studio.

2. He is NOT a 'Leaker'. That would imply he was either:
A. an employee that leaked info
B. someone who signed an NDA to have access to said info

According to all we know, he found some way to access poorly secured information on Twitch, as did some of the people in his community. He then disclosed that info to his subscribers. It isn't his responsibility to make sure that the data he accessed was secure, it was the company's. Now they have all rights to force removal of the items that they retain copyrights to, such as screenshots etc, but it's pretty shitty of them to kill his discord, twitter, and other accounts because they couldn't keep their data hidden.

Thanks mate. You saved me the trouble to write what you did; to explain to the small-minded fellas, who so desperately want to be contrarians all of the time, what's what.

People who want a sci-fi flick future --where there's no government and companies have all the power over our freedoms -- must love this story.

Fuck Take-Two for intimidating their fans. Especially like this.

PS: Above opinion is based on the current information we have about the situation.

The funny thing is that I bet half of the people saying he is a scumbag are the same people that were cheering on Wikileaks for leaking government info. Obviously, unless some more information comes out showing him to be in the wrong, he really is no different.

11. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 01:46 Quinn

Mordhaus wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 01:32:

The fuck...

1. It's a studio that is...somewhat clueless when it comes to PR and relationships with gamers. There is not a lot of love lost between their customers and the studio.

According to all we know, he found some way to access poorly secured information on Twitch, as did some of the people in his community. He then disclosed that info to his subscribers. It isn't his responsibility to make sure that the data he accessed was secure, it was the company's. Now they have all rights to force removal of the items that they retain copyrights to, such as screenshots etc, but it's pretty shitty of them to kill his discord, twitter, and other accounts because they couldn't keep their data hidden.

Thanks mate. You saved me the trouble to write what you did; to explain to the small-minded fellas, who so desperately want to be contrarians all of the time, what's what.

People who want a sci-fi flick future --where there's no government and companies have all the power over our freedoms -- must love this story.

Fuck Take-Two for intimidating their fans. Especially like this.

PS: Above opinion is based on the current information we have about the situation.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

10. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 01:32 Mordhaus

The fuck...

9. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 01:20 Teal'c SG:1

If he worked for the New York Times this wouldnt be a problem. Its journalism. He made money selling the information ? Im pretty sure the NYT is a subscription based news service which is exactly what he did.

The only relevant question is did he steal the information by breaking a law, or did he find the information. If he faked or stole computer access to get the information, then he did bad. if he didnt, then he needs a lawyer to help him fight a 1st amendment case and sue the bastards. Thats his option.

But i am not boycotting the game. He can fight his own battle.

8. Re: Take-Two's Borderlands 3 Investigation Sparks Controversy Aug 8, 2019, 00:56 Slick

The fuck...

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo