Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

Ooblets Developer - Regarding what’s been happening. Thanks GamesIndustry.biz.
"A game being available on one platform or the other, someone’s tone, or them calling you entitled is not enough to justify a harassment campaign targeting two indie game developers, or anyone for that matter. In fact, there’s little justification to ever participate in that kind of movement. These mobs represent the worst manifestation of human psychology and social behavior: Our urge to attack weaker outgroups, to let group mentality justify our actions, and to delight in violence and anger.

I hope that laying all this out helps in some way to lessen what pain is brought against whoever the next targets are, because we sadly know there will be many. You should have opinions, disagree with things, make arguments, but don’t try to ruin people’s lives or jump on the bandwagon when it’s happening.

What happened to us is the result of people forgetting their humanity for the sake of participating in video game drama. Please have a little perspective before letting your mild annoyance lead to deeply hurting a fellow human being."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 19:30 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 08:03:

When both of ya'll walk into a shoe store I'd be amazed if they all didn't fit.

But go ahead, keep defending this behavioir because they "should have known" and "it's the internet". ffs

Do you support doxing and swatting with the same fervor. What about review bombing.

This is your response to my apology and asking you to tone down the trollish behavior. Are you incapable of a modicum of normalcy?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 18:47 Cutter

Titus wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 11:24:
No one can be as clueless as this guy by accident. I'm starting to think they kicked this hornet's nest with Sweeney on purpose to ride the pity wave for publicity.

That's probably the reality of it. There's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 11:58 Verno

Yep exactly, for someone who says "its just a launcher who cares" he sure seems intent on stumping for this particular one. People don't want to use the same launchers as you, who cares. Just a launcher!  

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 11:52 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 08:03:

But go ahead, keep defending this behavioir because they "should have known" and "it's the internet". ffs

Do you support dozing and swatting with the same fervor. What about review bombing.

And now you're twisting yourself into false equivalences, much like the Ooblets developer did when they tried to claim that because climate change exists, people shouldn't be upset by this. I don't know why you seem so intent on coming into every thread about frustrated consumers and acting as if you're all high and mighty, the only enlightened one and that there can only even be one party in the wrong in any given situation. You clearly like things like the Epic Games Store and presumably, are happily using it. Good for you. So why do you always need to act not unlike this developer in every thread where people state their own issues with it? Just go enjoy what you enjoy and accept that not everyone agrees with you.

These devs are taking pages from the Zoe Quinn PR Playbook, doing something purposefully incendiary, then playing themselves as the victim and getting more PR for their product among the crowd who blindly support such people (of which there are more than you think.) I think it's despicable and between this and now relying on an Epic exclusivity paycheque, shows that they don't have a lot of faith in their own product but hey, their strategy and they can do what they want. I and many others, will not touch a product with the name Glumberland on it ever again and I think they're being assholes in terms of their behaviour. That doesn't in any way justify the garbage like death threats they're getting but that also doesn't mean they can't be called what they are: Hostile towards their audience and within certain limits, reaping what they sow.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2019, 22:19.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 11:24 Titus

No one can be as clueless as this guy by accident. I'm starting to think they kicked this hornet's nest with Sweeney on purpose to ride the pity wave for publicity.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2019, 11:38.

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 08:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 03:31:
These game devs were condescending dicks when they made their Epic announcement. Then gamers were trollish assholes in response. Then the developers doubled down, then gamers doubled down. And round and round it goes. What a dumpster fire.

It seems to me this all could have been avoided if the devs had been a bit more humble and apologetic in explaining why they decided to go with Epic after encouraging their Patreon backers to wishlist on Steam. For a dev team that relies so heavily on public support, you'd think they'd be more careful with their public relations.

Yep exactly, no one is blameless here. You can't antagonize people without consequences, offline or online. They should've handled it differently and so should their supporters and detractors. It's a shitty situation but they had a hand in it and I have yet to really hear them own it.

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 08:16 Creston

Please have a little perspective before letting your mild annoyance lead to deeply hurting a fellow human being."

The internet would, by and large, be a far better place if this was one of its mantras.

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 08:03 RedEye9

Do you support doxing and swatting with the same fervor. What about review bombing.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2019, 15:28.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 07:07 Verno

Not to mention major irony alert, dude is one of the most toxic posters on this website.

I've seen many rational arguments both here and on reddit. At some point you just have to accept exposure to the public is not something you can control. You will get really awesome supporters, you will get crazy people and everything else. People + anonymity = shitbags. They knew the score ahead of time.

16. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 05:49 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 23:54:
I'm liking the defenders of extreme toxicity here. Methinks advanced entitlement syndrome runs rampant in some of you.

Classy guys, real classy.

I'm sorry.

Would you kindly tone down the trollish behavior?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 03:31 jdreyer

These game devs were condescending dicks when they made their Epic announcement. Then gamers were trollish assholes in response. Then the developers doubled down, then gamers doubled down. And round and round it goes. What a dumpster fire.

It seems to me this all could have been avoided if the devs had been a bit more humble and apologetic in explaining why they decided to go with Epic after encouraging their Patreon backers to wishlist on Steam. For a dev team that relies so heavily on public support, you'd think they'd be more careful with their public relations.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 01:18 Mordhaus

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 23:54:
I'm liking the defenders of extreme toxicity here. Methinks advanced entitlement syndrome runs rampant in some of you.

You, of all people, should have the nerve to talk about class and being a 'defender' of something.

I'm a firm believer of "don't start none, won't be none." These devs prevaricated to their patreon members and then tried to cover it up. Now they are being snowflakes and doubling down on their fuckup. I have little to no sympathy for them.

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 00:54 eRe4s3r

All that aside, the fact is these mobs exist and stoking them continually is the dumbest idea possible. They exist solely to be stoked up into a frenzy and this endless threading of the topic ain't gonna do fuck all to resolve the toxicity issue that Epic has introduced by pissing off nearly 3 dozen different communities with very little overlap at that point.

And if even 10 people in each of these communities is toxic and a signal multiplier tada, even bigger shit-storm... sigh

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 00:05 Cutter

There's an old saying, 'Don't start nothin' and there ain't gonna' be nothin'. Don't want a shot in the mouth? Don't go beakin' off. Sounds to me like it was a life lesson these guys needed to learn and will think twice before doing it again.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 23:54 RedEye9

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 23:13 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 22:57:
I can only assume that this guy is really REALLY naive if he actually thought that the provocative and antagonistic tone he used in his announcement of Epic exclusivity could have resulted in anything other than the shitstorm of vile toxicity that arose. It ain't right, but it was bound to happen - it's the friggin internet.

IKR? It's like that time Filip Muicin dared Kotaku editor Jason Schreier and by extension the Internet to find more examples of him plagiarizing.

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 23:08 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 22:14:
TLDR
9 out of 10 mom's can't tell the difference between an entitled gamer and a rabid piranha.

And choosy moms choose JIF.

Is there a point you're trying to make beyond the point of being an insufferable ass?

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 22:57 Prez

I can only assume that this guy is really REALLY naive if he actually thought that the provocative and antagonistic tone he used in his announcement of Epic exclusivity could have resulted in anything other than the shitstorm of vile toxicity that arose. It ain't right, but it was bound to happen - it's the friggin internet.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 22:14 RedEye9

TLDR
9 out of 10 mom's can't tell the difference between an entitled gamer and a rabid piranha.

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 22:06 SirKnight

Time to get out my freakishly small violin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxauqa7rJgI

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo