Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal

GamesIndustry.biz reports on the backlash that beset the developers of Ooblets after they announced a deal to launch exclusively on the Epic Games Store. An Ooblets tweet asks for some understanding, noting "getting some funding is going to make a huge difference for Ooblets." Word is they've received thousands of "hateful, threatening messages" over the news. This prompted the following statement from Epic on the situation:
We at Epic Games have often shared our views about the game business and companies in it, and we support the entire game community’s right to speak freely and critically about these topics, including the topic of Epic, our products, and our store. When everyone shares their earnest views, the best ideas ultimately prevail.

The announcement of Ooblets highlighted a disturbing trend which is growing and undermining healthy public discourse, and that’s the coordinated and deliberate creation and promotion of false information, including fake screenshots, videos, and technical analysis, accompanied by harassment of partners, promotion of hateful themes, and intimidation of those with opposing views.

Epic is working together with many game developers and other partners to build what we believe will be a healthier and more competitive multi-store world for the future. We remain fully committed, and we will steadfastly support our partners throughout these challenges. Many thanks to all of you that continue to promote and advocate for healthy, truthful discussion about the games business and stand up to all manners of abuse.
View

55. Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Aug 6, 2019, 23:19 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 21:14:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 12:36:
Hey, are there any links to that stuff floating around? I'm curious to see exactly what kind of the folks are making up.
There are some screen caps in this https://medium.com/@perplamps/regarding-whats-been-happening-3af0f27d863c
You normal average run-of-the mill racist/ethnic/homophobic slurs, threats, violence, rape, suicide, self-harm, and other stuff.
It really is time for anonymity on the internet to go away, we've proven it don't work.
Epic Store Rage Has Gotten Out Of Hand

I agree that the examples he cites are horrible. However, there is a flip-side to every story courtesy of a pair of comprehensive videos from Yongyea. Both address the sides in an even-handed way, and I recommend every one watch so you get a better overview of it all. He also provides a perspective with screenshots from the consumer side, demonstrating that Ben's adversarial behavior towards legitimate questions arising from the EGS deal likely lead to the toxic backlash. Some highlights include:

nonplayercat: "I don't understand what it is exactly that you hope to achieve by complaining about the tone of the blogpost. Like, if you don't like our personality or our style of writing, that's totally fine, but we can't really help you there."
(Ben) perplamps: "at the end of the day it's open to whoever wants to support the patreon, we don't need the money from there now though"

Translation: I don't care what Patreons have to say anymore. Their use has expired now that we have Epic's money.

Or this one:

Deadly Penguin: "What option do the people that literally can't buy the game now due to Epic not supporting their currency have?, I wanted to buy the game, but now I'm 100% unable since I don't have the means to do so, does not wanting to support Epic Games make me an entitled angry child just because my country isn't allowed to buy games in my own currency? Am i an enraged manbaby due to the fact that even if i did buy it, it would cost me more than it should?"
(Ben) perplamps: "you'll have to wait I guess! nobody owes you the game"

Tim Sweeney not taking the high road didn't help either.

Long story short, Ben's response to questions about the EGS exclusivity created a fire. That fire got out of hand, and now he's activated his SJW card and acting like a millennial. To put it lightly he went Derek Smart on backers and then doesn't understand where the anger is coming from.

BTW I put Metro Exodus back on the Do-Not-Buy list. You couldn't be a gentleman and take my gesture of goodwill, couldn't you? You just had to put in that last word jab, didn't you? I guess it was too much to expect from a troll. Rolleyes

Edit: Here are a pair of Ooblets commentaries from HeelvsBabyface and Laymen Gaming.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2019, 23:42.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 5, 20:29 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Drayth
  2. Aug 5, 20:34 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal eRe4s3r
  3. Aug 5, 20:51 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal MacLeod
  4. Aug 5, 21:07 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  5. Aug 5, 21:09 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Cutter
  6. Aug 5, 21:22 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Jivaro
  7. Aug 5, 21:37 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal KezClone
  11. Aug 5, 22:19  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  12. Aug 5, 22:23   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  14. Aug 5, 22:56    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  20. Aug 6, 06:21  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Dash
  8. Aug 5, 21:46 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  9. Aug 5, 22:00  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Avus
  10. Aug 5, 22:18 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal HorrorScope
  13. Aug 5, 22:50 No subject 007Bistromath
  15. Aug 5, 23:11 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal EricFate
  18. Aug 6, 01:44  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Dravnt
  36. Aug 6, 10:10   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  37. Aug 6, 10:15    removed RedEye9
  39. Aug 6, 10:17     removed Kxmode
  40. Aug 6, 10:26     removed Kxmode
  44. Aug 6, 13:35      Re: removed Kxmode
  42. Aug 6, 12:34    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal jdreyer
  45. Aug 6, 13:38     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  46. Aug 6, 13:45    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  47. Aug 6, 13:53     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  48. Aug 6, 14:25      Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  49. Aug 6, 15:07       Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  50. Aug 6, 15:28    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Riahderymnmaddog
  51. Aug 6, 15:31     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  16. Aug 5, 23:12 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Creston
  17. Aug 5, 23:16  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Drayth
  19. Aug 6, 03:51 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Titus
  23. Aug 6, 06:51  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  24. Aug 6, 06:54   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Titus
  26. Aug 6, 07:00    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  29. Aug 6, 07:11    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  41. Aug 6, 12:27  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal jdreyer
  21. Aug 6, 06:35 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  22. Aug 6, 06:44  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Titus
  25. Aug 6, 06:59   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  27. Aug 6, 07:03    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Titus
  28. Aug 6, 07:06     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  38. Aug 6, 10:16      Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  31. Aug 6, 07:38    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Squirmer
  30. Aug 6, 07:25 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Red886
  32. Aug 6, 07:43  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal SabreT
  34. Aug 6, 08:22   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Slashman
  52. Aug 6, 15:49    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Verno
  53. Aug 6, 17:36     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Creston
  35. Aug 6, 08:33  Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
  43. Aug 6, 12:36   Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal jdreyer
  54. Aug 6, 21:14    Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal RedEye9
>> 55. Aug 6, 23:19     Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Kxmode
  33. Aug 6, 08:05 Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Verno