Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free

This week's new freebies are now available on the Epic Games Store, where both For Honor and Alan Wake can be picked for keeps. These will remain available for one week, after which 3D puzzle game GNOG will be their next giveaway. Here's a refresher on this week's gifts:

FOR HONOR – STANDARD EDITION
Enter the chaos of war as a bold Knight, brutal Viking, deadly Samurai or swift Wu Lin, a legendary Faction consisting of four of the greatest warriors. In For Honor, wield your blade like never before with the innovative Art of Battle combat system that puts you in total control of your warrior. Master your sword and fight in brutal, fast-paced melee combat across an engaging story campaign and groundbreaking multiplayer modes.

Carve a path of destruction through an intense and believable battlefield in For Honor, a groundbreaking melee action game.

Alan Wake
When the wife of the best-selling writer Alan Wake disappears on their vacation, his search turns up pages from a thriller he doesn’t even remember writing. A Dark Presence stalks the small town of Bright Falls, pushing Wake to the brink of sanity in his fight to unravel the mystery and save his love.

Presented in the style of a TV series, Alan Wake features the trademark Remedy storytelling and pulse-pounding action sequences. As players dive deeper and deeper into the mystery, they’ll face overwhelming odds, plot twists, and cliffhangers. It’s only by mastering the Fight With Light combat mechanic that they can stay one step ahead of the darkness that spreads across Bright Falls.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 19:12 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 14:51:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 13:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 08:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 08:43:
On a board with CJ, I often forget that you're the single most close minded user. My apologies, I don't know why I keep forgetting that you form one opinion that never changes, that you don't base your opinions on evidence instead if your initial hunch, and that you believe no one else changes.
Dude, its always in krusade-mode. from one to another to another to another ... ad nauseum

You both are two sides of the same coin. If someone dares share an opinion on something that differs from yours or you don't agree with HOW DARE THEY. That person is CLEARLY "close-minded" and operating in "crusader" mode (aside: only binary thinking people think that and it usually affects ultra-political types). You two are a bunch of jokes. I'm not even going to waste my time with you in this thread because you're not getting the point and instead deflecting with ad hominems. Instead, I'll let my friend YongYea explain why EGS exclusivity is terrible. Maybe then you'll understand and if that doesn't work, feel free to go back to your Epic compound apple drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfB8VDCVtQ

You're not merely giving opinions. You're stating that they'll never catch up, that they already "blew it," etc. You're making really weird declarations. Not "I hope they blew it" but "they've already lost."

It's always this way with you, though. You form an opinion that will never change, that you never re-assess, and take it all so personally. It's so weird. You now have a list of games you'll never play because you had to wait a bit, or buy them on a different platform. It's also inconsistent, as I'm pretty certain you've played the Diablo games. Pretty sure those are exclusives.

Remember when Blizzard was going to go out of business like 4 years ago or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 14:51 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 13:33:
On a board with CJ, I often forget that you're the single most close minded user. My apologies, I don't know why I keep forgetting that you form one opinion that never changes, that you don't base your opinions on evidence instead if your initial hunch, and that you believe no one else changes.
Dude, its always in krusade-mode. from one to another to another to another ... ad nauseum

You both are two sides of the same coin. If someone dares share an opinion on something that differs from yours or you don't agree with HOW DARE THEY. That person is CLEARLY "close-minded" and operating in "crusader" mode (aside: only binary thinking people think that and it usually affects ultra-political types). You two are a bunch of jokes. I'm not even going to waste my time with you in this thread because you're not getting the point and instead deflecting with ad hominems. Instead, I'll let my friend YongYea explain why EGS exclusivity is terrible. Maybe then you'll understand and if that doesn't work, feel free to go back to your Epic compound apple drink.

You're not merely giving opinions. You're stating that they'll never catch up, that they already "blew it," etc. You're making really weird declarations. Not "I hope they blew it" but "they've already lost."

It's always this way with you, though. You form an opinion that will never change, that you never re-assess, and take it all so personally. It's so weird. You now have a list of games you'll never play because you had to wait a bit, or buy them on a different platform. It's also inconsistent, as I'm pretty certain you've played the Diablo games. Pretty sure those are exclusives.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 14:21 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 05:26:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 03:56:
So I hadn't picked up any of the freebies from EGS yet until now. So I went to register and get these. Turns out, my account already existed, I must have created one to get Shadow Complex back in 2015! The odd thing about my account is that the location was set to Russian Federation, and all prices were in rubles. The account must have been hacked during one of Epics many account leaks. Changed the PW, reset the PW, and grabbed the new games.
Had my account since May 2015. Its never been hacked.
When a million accounts get leaked, I'm sure there aren't resources to check all of them. I hope my Russian friend enjoyed playing Shadow Complex!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

39. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 05:26 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 03:56:
So I hadn't picked up any of the freebies from EGS yet until now. So I went to register and get these. Turns out, my account already existed, I must have created one to get Shadow Complex back in 2015! The odd thing about my account is that the location was set to Russian Federation, and all prices were in rubles. The account must have been hacked during one of Epics many account leaks. Changed the PW, reset the PW, and grabbed the new games.
Had my account since May 2015. Its never been hacked.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

38. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 03:56 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

37. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 5, 2019, 03:50 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 13:54:
Here's a list of games I will not buy if they ever appear on Steam.

- Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
- Ashen
- Borderlands 3
- Beyond Two Souls
- Close to the Sun
- Control
- Dangerous Driving
- Detroit: Become Human
- Dauntless
- Genesis Alpha One
- Hades
- Hawaii Shakedown
- Heavy Rain
- Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek
- INDUSTRIES OF TITAN
- Journey to the Savage Planet
- Kine
- Maneater
- Metro: Exodus
- Observation
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun
- Phoenix Point
- Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
- Retro City Rampage sequel
- Roller Coaster Tycoon Adventures
- Satisfactory
- Shakedown: Hawaii
- Solar Ash Kingdom
- Spellbreak
- Super Meat Boy Forever
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season
- The Outer Worlds
- Unreal Tournament
- World War Z

I don't support third-party exclusivity and will not reward publishers with a purchase of a game that went exclusive on EGS. They forced me to wait. They told me you can't play on your preferred platform on the official launch day. So they lost a customer.

C'mon man, please reconsider for Hawaii Shakedown and Shakedown: Hawaii. Please? For me?

36. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 18:08 RedEye9

Talisorn wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 17:40:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 19:02:
Darks wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:31:
Graham wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:37:
Nah, I'm good.
Same here, I hate EGS so much, that I haven't grab one of their freebie BS games. Just wont support their shit platform.
+1 and their shit methodology, that's going to damage game development for years to come.
I can't wait for Steam to become a public company. Then you'll finally regret making Steam the unassailable virtual monopoly that it really it currently is.
lotta peeps got titanium blindfolds and depleted uranium brains when it comes to a different color store front. #NotMyTribe

35. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 17:40 Talisorn

Acleacius wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 19:02:
Darks wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:31:
Graham wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:37:
Nah, I'm good.

Same here, I hate EGS so much, that I haven't grab one of their freebie BS games. Just wont support their shit platform.
+1 and their shit methodology, that's going to damage game development for years to come.

I can't wait for Steam to become a public company. Then you'll finally regret making Steam the unassailable virtual monopoly that it really it currently is.

34. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 17:32 Talisorn

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:48:
Sweet, snagged em both

You're mad if you don't.

33. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 13:58 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 13:55:
Here's a ..
yawn

Why are you still here? Go watch the video dog.

Edit: Oh you add more words... that's cute. Go watch the video, Armchair Troll.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2019, 14:50.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

32. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 13:55 RedEye9

Here's a ..
yawn

Punishing actors, artists, mappers, writers, programmers -
Tis so wise NOT

Remember:
It costs nothing to encourage an artist, and the potential benefits are staggering. A pat on the back to an artist now could one day result in your favorite film, or the videogame you love to play, or the song that saves your life.

Discourage an artist, you get absolutely nothing in return, ever.

but you be you Crazy Headscratch Ucrazy

31. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 13:55 Fion

The day I consider giving EGS an install is the day they announce they won't be doing anymore exclusivity deals.

That said, I do not begrudge any developer that signs a limited-exclusivity deal. It's no different than limited-exclusivity on consoles. It's a business decision, a few million bucks to give them more time to improve their game and market it, in exchange for a smaller purchase-base until their second release window (and by then few people will begrudge them).

I'm pissed off that BL3 & Metro Exodus & Retro City Rampage & Outer Worlds are timed exclusives, but I do not blame the developers.

30. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 13:54 Kxmode

Here's a list of games I will not buy if they ever appear on Steam.

- Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
- Ashen
- Borderlands 3
- Beyond Two Souls
- Close to the Sun
- Control
- Dangerous Driving
- Detroit: Become Human
- Dauntless
- Genesis Alpha One
- Hades
- Hawaii Shakedown
- Heavy Rain
- Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek
- INDUSTRIES OF TITAN
- Journey to the Savage Planet
- Kine
- Maneater
- Metro: Exodus
- Observation
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun
- Phoenix Point
- Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
- Retro City Rampage sequel
- Roller Coaster Tycoon Adventures
- Satisfactory
- Shakedown: Hawaii
- Solar Ash Kingdom
- Spellbreak
- Super Meat Boy Forever
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season
- The Outer Worlds
- Unreal Tournament
- World War Z

I don't support third-party exclusivity and will not reward publishers with a purchase of a game that went exclusive on EGS. They forced me to wait. They told me you can't play on your preferred platform on the official launch day. So they lost a customer.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 13:33 Kxmode

28. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 08:46 RedEye9

27. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 08:43 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 01:30:
Beamer wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 23:18:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 20:09:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 17:11:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:48:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 15:13:
Trying to get all my buddies to snag For Honor, should be fun for a lan.

Mordhau is better

Oh cool, is mordhau free? NO?!?

The whole “free and multiplayer” is literally the only reason I’m getting it. Neither game interests me at a “willing to pay for it” level.

That is likely the mindset of most shoppers on EGS. The numbers going to EGS is pure astroturfing. There's no loyalty beyond getting free crap. As soon as it ends, people will leave. The sooner, the better. Epic blew their one shot to be a legitimate competitor against Valve's juggernaut.

Blew it? First off, this is the only attempt we'll see - no one else has the resources to attempt to catch Valve now. And it's months in. You're the type of guy that would have told 1999 Amazon that it already failed to beat Walmart. Not saying that will be the end game here, but to already be saying it's dead is ludicrous.

You claim to be a developer. You should be smarter about how someone would take on Steam. Think to yourself how long it would take to create a competitor to it. Have you ever done any big enterprise projects? They take years.

Re: You claim to be a developer. You should be smarter about how someone would take on Steam.

I'm a Frontend UI/UX developer. I don't sit around figuring out ways to develop businesses. I design and enhance user interfaces.

Re: You're the type of guy that would have told 1999 Amazon that it already failed to beat Walmart?

That's a financial and investment analyst on an earnings call — a different profession.

Re: Not saying that will be the end game here, but to already be saying it's dead is ludicrous.

When Epic launched their boisterous campaign, everyone, myself included, was on board for real Steam competition. Instead of heavily investing in the EGS platform and required tech, Epic went the route of introducing something to PC gaming that has never existed: third-party exclusives. What has Epic got to show for their nine-month-old platform? It still cannot compete with Steam at a basic level (e.g., no shopping cart, no cloud saves, and so forth). Epic has also angered something like ~90 MILLION active Steam users (give or take a few million). PC gamers don't forget or forgive trash like that.

You don't need to be a professional developer or a financial investment analyst to come to that conclusion. Epic has reached its endgame. They are not going to win no matter how much money they throw into their store. The ill-will towards them is too high. Valve simply has MORE numbers. It's a negative-sum numbers games all around and it will become exponentially worse after they stop their freebie offerings.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 06:49 Jonjonz

Two flops for the price of none.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

25. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 03:07 MeanJim

roguebanshee wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:31:
J wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 14:15:
Do you still lose them if you uninstall them for whatever reason and then try to reinstall them?
That only happened to people who misspelled their account name when logging in after logging out of the client (or forgetting to make it stay logged in). For some inexplicable reason the client allows you to uninstall any game already installed on the PC (that may have been fixed, but I haven't heard anything), even if the current account doesn't own that game and it was installed by another account.

Also EGS was not sending out confirmation emails for grabbing free products (up until last week). Coupled with the purchase history being limited to displaying any purchases from the last 90 days (including free titles), some people were left thinking they would lose free games if they uninstalled them.

The mistakes on Epics part in this case was allowing other accounts uninstalling any games installed on the PC regardless of ownership, not sending out confirmaion emails and not displaying older purchase history. They were quick enough to fix the latter two.

It's obviously something that should never have happened in the first place, but in this case the pitchforks were undeserved. A decent chunk of the blame lies at the feet of those who messed up their login details and then immedately went off to blame Epic for taking away stuff.

Oh the pitchforks were deserved. Epic deleted several people's purchase histories and blamed it on them forgetting their log in credentials. After some investigation by random people on YouTube and Reddit, it turned out that Epic had indeed fucked up and lost a bunch of account's purchase histories. So they initially denied there was a problem until it was proven there was. Now they send receipts, even for free "purchases" like every competent store has always done.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 02:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 17:40:
Pretty good give-away. I already own AW, and have no interest in cheatfest mp only games, but those are two solid games.
Says For Honor has a SP more.

23. Re: Get Alan Wake and For Honor for Free Aug 3, 2019, 02:54 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:49:
More free candy from the white van. Golfclap

I admit I laughed at that. Laugh2

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo