No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month

Hello Games announces No Man's Sky: BEYOND will be released on August 14th for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. This free update will be a triple-threat, combining the latest improvements for the space exploration game with a new social experience called No Man's Sky Online with the debut of a new VR mode called No Man's Sky Virtual Reality. This trailer comes with the news, offering 23 seconds of nothing, but the announcement provides more substance:
Hello Games, an indie development team based in the United Kingdom, will release the free No Man’s Sky: BEYOND update on Wednesday, Aug. 14 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. No Man’s Sky: BEYOND rolls three major updates into one larger free release, which includes No Man’s Sky Online, a radical new social and multiplayer experience that empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. The BEYOND launch also delivers No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality to supporting platforms, bringing the entire game to life in an immersive and enriched VR experience.

Inspired by the adventure and imagination found in classic science-fiction, No Man’s Sky presents players with a galaxy to explore, filled with unique planets and lifeforms, constant danger and action. In No Man’s Sky, every star is the light of a distant sun, each orbited by planets filled with life, and explorers can visit any they choose. Players can fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits. In this infinite procedurally generated universe, players discover places and creatures that no others have seen before – and perhaps never will again.

The No Man’s Sky: BEYOND update is the seventh major free update for the limitless procedural universe since the game’s launch in 2016. BEYOND is comparable in size to the hugely popular NEXT update released last year.

No Man’s Sky is available for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One digitally and at retail, with the Xbox One retail version published by 505 Games. For more information about No Man’s Sky and the upcoming BEYOND update, please visit www.nomanssky.com.

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month
Aug 2, 2019, 11:03
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 11:03
Aug 2, 2019, 11:03

Excited to try this out in VR!

I just can’t believe how much post-release support they’ve put in. Honestly, the point it’s at now could have been sold as the sequel to what they originally released. Hopefully they eventually get around to making another game, and don’t throw every single penny they made from NMS into all these game improvements. It feels a bit like Terraria...yeah, awesome, more content for something I already have, but are you ever gonna make something completely NEW?

Aug 2, 2019, 11:14
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 11:14
Aug 2, 2019, 11:14

But is it still "boring and repetitive"? Genuinely curious. Reviews are the reason I never picked this up.

Aug 2, 2019, 12:27
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 12:27
Aug 2, 2019, 12:27

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:14:
But is it still "boring and repetitive"? Genuinely curious. Reviews are the reason I never picked this up.

I picked this up once when it was on sale for around 15 or 20 bucks. I think it had already been out for 2 or 3 years. While I thought it was pretty solid compared to all the complaints (of course many major patches since then), I did find it repetitive.

The thing that drove me nuts was all the buttons to press to figure out what you had to build and which one to press to find what you needed. That drove me a bit loco.

I probably didn't play enough to really see the game open up but I had made it to the point where you can select your star system or something and hyper warp over to it. The ideas are pretty cool, it looks great graphically and I'm sure it gets better as you play more, but it's a super grind. Similar to Subnautica which was disappointing for me.

Aug 2, 2019, 12:31
Verno

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 12:31
Aug 2, 2019, 12:31
 Verno

It tends to get lost in all of the noise between the pre-release haters and the weirdly defensive fans this game seems to have. Have they added more content? Unquestionably, Next especially was a big overhaul in many ways. That said I just don't feel like they have made it a more meaningful or rewarding experience, I still really dislike the core gameplay loop. The progression system is a grind (frankly everything in the game is!), the events are boring and the game is just really bland. It's understandable because its very hard to "curate" procedurally generated content.

I suggest just picking it up on Steam and playing for a bit, refunding it if you don't like it. You can play it with others now as well, forgot to mention that.

Similar to Subnautica which was disappointing for me.

Subnautica is weird because it starts out that way but really gets more interesting as it goes. There is an actual story and the amount of content they packed into that map is pretty crazy. But the beginning makes it feel like yet another survival game without purpose. I ended up loving it but I feel like it doesn't put its best foot forward.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Aug 2, 2019, 12:56
PHJF

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 12:56
Aug 2, 2019, 12:56
 PHJF

What Verno said. The "game" is still just a casual grindfest.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 2, 2019, 12:58
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 12:58
Aug 2, 2019, 12:58

It's nothing like Sunautica because Subnautica is actually fun and interesting.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

Aug 2, 2019, 13:09
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:09
Aug 2, 2019, 13:09

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:03:
Excited to try this out in VR!

I just can’t believe how much post-release support they’ve put in. Honestly, the point it’s at now could have been sold as the sequel to what they originally released. Hopefully they eventually get around to making another game, and don’t throw every single penny they made from NMS into all these game improvements. It feels a bit like Terraria...yeah, awesome, more content for something I already have, but are you ever gonna make something completely NEW?
Or at least sold as DLC.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Aug 2, 2019, 13:11
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:11
Aug 2, 2019, 13:11

A triple threat or a triple treat.

I am confused.

Aug 2, 2019, 13:12
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:12
Aug 2, 2019, 13:12

If you like outer space, exploration, and crafting, you'll enjoy this game.

The controls aren't that difficult to figure out. It was designed to play on consoles as well as computers, for example.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
PHJF

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
 PHJF

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:12:

The controls aren't that difficult to figure out. It was designed to play on consoles as well as computers, for example.

If by "outer space" you mean spending 99% of the time planetside on identical planetoids and by "exploration" you mean wandering around barren lifeless landscapes uncovering the occasional cookie-cutter points of interest...
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 2, 2019, 15:11
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 15:11
Aug 2, 2019, 15:11

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:52:

If by "outer space" you mean spending 99% of the time planetside on identical planetoids and by "exploration" you mean wandering around barren lifeless landscapes uncovering the occasional cookie-cutter points of interest...

Procedural generation is rarely as awesome as you think it’s going to be. What it tends to boils down to is rooms/planets made up of premade pieces, so they always look samey. If it was just ONE planet, you’d appreciate the random start, but they all look terribly similar. Astroneer’s procgen planets all have unique features, but they only needed to make like 7 of them, and they expect you to explore them quite a bit.

It’s why I don’t quite understand what NMS is meant to BE. It’s like they added a lot of land-based features like base building because they could, not because they SHOULD.

Aug 2, 2019, 15:31
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 15:31
Aug 2, 2019, 15:31

I've got over 1,000 hours in my main save, but I haven't played in a while. The "trailer" was fairly useless. I might be willing to go back, guess I'll wait and see what people have to say after it is out. Until then, my game grinding of choice is Elite Dangerous.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2019, 17:51.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 2, 2019, 17:45
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 17:45
Aug 2, 2019, 17:45

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 15:11:
PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:52:

Procedural generation is rarely as awesome as you think it’s going to be. What it tends to boils down to is rooms/planets made up of premade pieces, so they always look samey. If it was just ONE planet, you’d appreciate the random start, but they all look terribly similar. Astroneer’s procgen planets all have unique features, but they only needed to make like 7 of them, and they expect you to explore them quite a bit.

It’s why I don’t quite understand what NMS is meant to BE. It’s like they added a lot of land-based features like base building because they could, not because they SHOULD.

Exactly, for everything they did, they forgot to add meaning or should we say, a game, to this sandbox

Aug 2, 2019, 18:02
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 18:02
Aug 2, 2019, 18:02

I'm sure that Christ Roberts' Star Citizen will be much better than this.

Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 12:31:
Similar to Subnautica which was disappointing for me.

Subnautica is weird because it starts out that way but really gets more interesting as it goes. There is an actual story and the amount of content they packed into that map is pretty crazy. But the beginning makes it feel like yet another survival game without purpose.

Same thing with Conan Exiles. There's a good story in the game but you have to play long enough to see it unfold. The thing is the game doesn't hold your hand through the story.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
 Kxmode

Whatever... you bloated corpse of a game.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Re: Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month
Aug 3, 2019, 02:13
Re: Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 02:13
Aug 3, 2019, 02:13

Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 21:08:
Whatever... you bloated corpse of a game.

Looks pretty lively for a corpse! Zombie apocalypse?!
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."

Aug 3, 2019, 09:57
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 09:57
Aug 3, 2019, 09:57

I'm no NMS basher, love what it goes for just can't get into the UI/flight model.

But if you want a subnautica-like space game with ZERO survival shit (other than don't run out of air when EVA) that has exploration, good sci fi shit and bespoke planets to puzzle out OUTER WILDS is fucking phenomenal.

Aug 3, 2019, 10:06
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 10:06
Aug 3, 2019, 10:06

Numinar wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 09:57:
I'm no NMS basher, love what it goes for just can't get into the UI/flight model.

But if you want a subnautica-like space game with ZERO survival shit (other than don't run out of air when EVA) that has exploration, good sci fi shit and bespoke planets to puzzle out OUTER WILDS is fucking phenomenal.

Is Outer Wilds out of early access yet?

Aug 3, 2019, 10:21
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 10:21
Aug 3, 2019, 10:21

Released 30.5.2019

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/outerwilds/home

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer