No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month

Hello Games announces No Man's Sky: BEYOND will be released on August 14th for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. This free update will be a triple-threat, combining the latest improvements for the space exploration game with a new social experience called No Man's Sky Online with the debut of a new VR mode called No Man's Sky Virtual Reality. This trailer comes with the news, offering 23 seconds of nothing, but the announcement provides more substance:
Hello Games, an indie development team based in the United Kingdom, will release the free No Man’s Sky: BEYOND update on Wednesday, Aug. 14 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. No Man’s Sky: BEYOND rolls three major updates into one larger free release, which includes No Man’s Sky Online, a radical new social and multiplayer experience that empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. The BEYOND launch also delivers No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality to supporting platforms, bringing the entire game to life in an immersive and enriched VR experience.

Inspired by the adventure and imagination found in classic science-fiction, No Man’s Sky presents players with a galaxy to explore, filled with unique planets and lifeforms, constant danger and action. In No Man’s Sky, every star is the light of a distant sun, each orbited by planets filled with life, and explorers can visit any they choose. Players can fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits. In this infinite procedurally generated universe, players discover places and creatures that no others have seen before – and perhaps never will again.

The No Man’s Sky: BEYOND update is the seventh major free update for the limitless procedural universe since the game’s launch in 2016. BEYOND is comparable in size to the hugely popular NEXT update released last year.

No Man’s Sky is available for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One digitally and at retail, with the Xbox One retail version published by 505 Games. For more information about No Man’s Sky and the upcoming BEYOND update, please visit www.nomanssky.com.

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month
Aug 12, 2019, 08:19
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 12, 2019, 08:19
Aug 12, 2019, 08:19

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 12:50:
Oh it's that one. I got confused with something else. The thing that's always put me off about this game is that twenty minute timeloop thing. It seems like you'd just be repeating the same few minutes over and over and over again, and that really gets on my nerves after just a few playthroughs.

Anyone play this and have any experience with how that actually works?

Ok this is a necro possibly with no chance of being read but this is a very important game.

I gave the timed-run mechanic and cartoony indie graphics a big MEH at first as well but stuck with it and now I consider it one of the best games I've played. I found the game to be fairly non-repetitive though, at least for the first 25 hours or so when you can just go do something else if you are sick of exploring any given planet/area. After that, when you are trying to finish it, you might wonder around certain places looking for clues or trying to fill gaps in your log but I enjoyed that as well.

The solar system is like a little toy, you can see each planet from each location usualy, even if faint or distant, and since you have unlimited fuel you can burn halfway to wherever you are going, and then suicide burn to the surface. The time limit encourages going as fast as you can to maximise exploration which you use to fill out an always sunny style digital rumour diagram which IS persistent between runs and displayed on your ship computer, and lets you know when you have cleared a place out or not. Most trips only have a few minutes of travelling, but others take longer or may involve unimaginable horrors. The locations themsleves are solvable if you have done the groundwork fairly quickly, I almost never had the issue of "god damn it I almost had that!" because I was either following a lead and getting what I needed done, done, or cleaned a place out of narrative and clues long before things reset. Also the reset is actually really awesome, I never got tired of it.

It feels physical and real in a way that NMS struggles with, it's probably misleading to call it a friendly, fly by wire version of Kerbal flight model all in first person, but that's what it feels like. Maybe a little Lunar Flight in there, or Elite but with actual shit to do on the planets you land on other than collecting rocks and scans. It does the walk about-EVA-ship-planetisimals transition thing really well.

The time loop feeds into the story very well. A perfect mix of structure and framing narrative. The only bit you have to repeat is the launch tower lift, but once you get on your ship where you go and how you get there is all up to you. The end is the same as well if you manage to not blow your reactor, drown, impact somehting too fast or burn up in the sun. There are at least 7 or 8 planetary bodies/structures orbiting the sun, once every minute for the close stuff and maybe only once or less for the further out stuff, and most of them have multiple areas, requiring specific piloting or timing (One planet is falling apart into itself, another two transfering matter between each other, so they change a lot depending on when you get there).

You will work out some fast travel stuff, but it's a physical system built into the world and narrative and becomes part of the endgame puzzle solving. The ending is amazing and fucked up at the same time, very Stephen Baxter/Greg Egan deep time shit but I loved it, including a final high stakes run that could be straight out of a movie. No game has done this style of hard sci-fi in FPS this well before as far as I know, though I havn't played them all.

It's super unique. I can't talk highly enough about it. An adventure game without an inventory. A survival game without grinding. A space game that expects you to take the environment seriously without being a prick about it. A story like something out of an early Aurthur C Clarke book. Graphics and sound that seem undercooked at first but are consistantly awe inspiring when they need to be. Brilliant.

Aug 5, 2019, 03:38
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 5, 2019, 03:38
Aug 5, 2019, 03:38

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 17:16:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 15:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 10:21:
Released 30.5.2019

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/outerwilds/home

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

Oh, yeah. EGS exclusive.
Yep, they sell videogames, exclusively.

I mean, I went to Steam and the release data was TBD, so I didn't think it had come out yet.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 3, 2019, 17:16
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 17:16
Aug 3, 2019, 17:16

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 15:52:
Released 30.5.2019

Oh, yeah. EGS exclusive.
Yep, they sell videogames, exclusively.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Aug 3, 2019, 16:56
NKD
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 16:56
Aug 3, 2019, 16:56
NKD

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 12:50:
Oh it's that one. I got confused with something else. The thing that's always put me off about this game is that twenty minute timeloop thing. It seems like you'd just be repeating the same few minutes over and over and over again, and that really gets on my nerves after just a few playthroughs.

I played it for a little bit but I died or something while exploring (it wasn't clear what was killing me) and got set back all the way to the beginning, so maybe I didn't get to the point you are talking about. Got pulled in to other games so I haven't had a chance to give it another shot yet.
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Aug 3, 2019, 15:52
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 15:52
Aug 3, 2019, 15:52

Released 30.5.2019

Oh, yeah. EGS exclusive.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 3, 2019, 12:50
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 12:50
Aug 3, 2019, 12:50

Aug 3, 2019, 10:21
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 10:21
Aug 3, 2019, 10:21

Released 30.5.2019

A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Aug 3, 2019, 10:06
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 10:06
Aug 3, 2019, 10:06

Numinar wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 09:57:
I'm no NMS basher, love what it goes for just can't get into the UI/flight model.

But if you want a subnautica-like space game with ZERO survival shit (other than don't run out of air when EVA) that has exploration, good sci fi shit and bespoke planets to puzzle out OUTER WILDS is fucking phenomenal.

Is Outer Wilds out of early access yet?

Aug 3, 2019, 09:57
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 09:57
Aug 3, 2019, 09:57

I'm no NMS basher, love what it goes for just can't get into the UI/flight model.

But if you want a subnautica-like space game with ZERO survival shit (other than don't run out of air when EVA) that has exploration, good sci fi shit and bespoke planets to puzzle out OUTER WILDS is fucking phenomenal.

Re: Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month
Aug 3, 2019, 02:13
NKD
Re: Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 3, 2019, 02:13
Aug 3, 2019, 02:13
NKD

Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 21:08:
Whatever... you bloated corpse of a game.

Looks pretty lively for a corpse! Zombie apocalypse?!
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
Aug 2, 2019, 21:08
 Kxmode

Whatever... you bloated corpse of a game.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
Aug 2, 2019, 21:06
 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 12:31:
Similar to Subnautica which was disappointing for me.

Subnautica is weird because it starts out that way but really gets more interesting as it goes. There is an actual story and the amount of content they packed into that map is pretty crazy. But the beginning makes it feel like yet another survival game without purpose.

Same thing with Conan Exiles. There's a good story in the game but you have to play long enough to see it unfold. The thing is the game doesn't hold your hand through the story.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 2, 2019, 18:02
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 18:02
Aug 2, 2019, 18:02

I'm sure that Christ Roberts' Star Citizen will be much better than this.

Aug 2, 2019, 17:45
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 17:45
Aug 2, 2019, 17:45

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 15:11:
PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:52:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:12:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:14:
But is it still "boring and repetitive"? Genuinely curious. Reviews are the reason I never picked this up.
If you like outer space, exploration, and crafting, you'll enjoy this game.

The controls aren't that difficult to figure out. It was designed to play on consoles as well as computers, for example.

If by "outer space" you mean spending 99% of the time planetside on identical planetoids and by "exploration" you mean wandering around barren lifeless landscapes uncovering the occasional cookie-cutter points of interest...

Procedural generation is rarely as awesome as you think it’s going to be. What it tends to boils down to is rooms/planets made up of premade pieces, so they always look samey. If it was just ONE planet, you’d appreciate the random start, but they all look terribly similar. Astroneer’s procgen planets all have unique features, but they only needed to make like 7 of them, and they expect you to explore them quite a bit.

It’s why I don’t quite understand what NMS is meant to BE. It’s like they added a lot of land-based features like base building because they could, not because they SHOULD.

Exactly, for everything they did, they forgot to add meaning or should we say, a game, to this sandbox

Aug 2, 2019, 15:31
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 15:31
Aug 2, 2019, 15:31

I've got over 1,000 hours in my main save, but I haven't played in a while. The "trailer" was fairly useless. I might be willing to go back, guess I'll wait and see what people have to say after it is out. Until then, my game grinding of choice is Elite Dangerous.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2019, 17:51.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 2, 2019, 15:11
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 15:11
Aug 2, 2019, 15:11

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 13:52:
But is it still "boring and repetitive"? Genuinely curious. Reviews are the reason I never picked this up.

The controls aren't that difficult to figure out. It was designed to play on consoles as well as computers, for example.

If by "outer space" you mean spending 99% of the time planetside on identical planetoids and by "exploration" you mean wandering around barren lifeless landscapes uncovering the occasional cookie-cutter points of interest...

Procedural generation is rarely as awesome as you think it’s going to be. What it tends to boils down to is rooms/planets made up of premade pieces, so they always look samey. If it was just ONE planet, you’d appreciate the random start, but they all look terribly similar. Astroneer’s procgen planets all have unique features, but they only needed to make like 7 of them, and they expect you to explore them quite a bit.

It’s why I don’t quite understand what NMS is meant to BE. It’s like they added a lot of land-based features like base building because they could, not because they SHOULD.

Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
PHJF

Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
Aug 2, 2019, 13:52
 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 2, 2019, 13:12
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:12
Aug 2, 2019, 13:12

Aug 2, 2019, 13:11
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:11
Aug 2, 2019, 13:11

A triple threat or a triple treat.

I am confused.

Aug 2, 2019, 13:09
Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 13:09
Aug 2, 2019, 13:09

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:03:
Excited to try this out in VR!

I just can’t believe how much post-release support they’ve put in. Honestly, the point it’s at now could have been sold as the sequel to what they originally released. Hopefully they eventually get around to making another game, and don’t throw every single penny they made from NMS into all these game improvements. It feels a bit like Terraria...yeah, awesome, more content for something I already have, but are you ever gonna make something completely NEW?
Or at least sold as DLC.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older