Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Metaverse

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 2, 2019, 09:34 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 23:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 23:39:
I'm a 1 guy but OpenOffice says 16.
Report the bug.
What about libreoffice?

There is no bug. See my post way above. Calculators (And all other things online) do NOT add the brackets in the correct position.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 23:54 RedEye9

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 23:39:
Report the bug.
What about libreoffice?

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 23:39 HorrorScope

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 13:54 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 12:14:
Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 10:02:
Beamer wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 08:00:
Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 07:50:
I mean, the answer is 1 to me too, but I can see if people were taught BODMAS how they'd come up with 16 and feel that they're right. They're not, of course, filthy heathens, but if that's the way they were taught...?

Ignorance is no excuse for... heathenness? Heathenicity? Heathenality? Being a heathen!

I concur, but it just goes to show you that what we hold so sacred in schools is very often wrong. To give another example, I was taught by my Science/Physics teacher in high school that the Universe went through endless cycles of Big Bang/Big Crunch/Big Bang/Big Crunch etc.

We now know of course that Big Crunch is a bunch of horseshit, it's never going to happen. It was sworn to be the truth in school in the early 80s.

So if I didn't have an interest in astrophysics and had never kept up with the field, I'd probably still think the universe was headed for a big crunch, and would be very confused if people told me that I was wrong.

Early 80s? It's still discussed, even if largely discredited. You were probably ahead of your time learning it in the early 80s.

Much like "the Civil War was about states' rights," but I guess that's something we know was wrong but still teach. Big Crunch wasn't known as incorrect. Similarly, Pluto's not a planet, eggs don't kill you, physics explains the flight of the bumblebee just fine, Columbus didn't discover America, and sharks don't smell your blood a mile away.

That last one is one of the widest spread misconceptions in the history of misconceptions to the point where I get brain pains when I see it falsely shown anywhere in media.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 12:14 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 10:02:
I mean, the answer is 1 to me too, but I can see if people were taught BODMAS how they'd come up with 16 and feel that they're right. They're not, of course, filthy heathens, but if that's the way they were taught...?

Ignorance is no excuse for... heathenness? Heathenicity? Heathenality? Being a heathen!

I concur, but it just goes to show you that what we hold so sacred in schools is very often wrong. To give another example, I was taught by my Science/Physics teacher in high school that the Universe went through endless cycles of Big Bang/Big Crunch/Big Bang/Big Crunch etc.

We now know of course that Big Crunch is a bunch of horseshit, it's never going to happen. It was sworn to be the truth in school in the early 80s.

So if I didn't have an interest in astrophysics and had never kept up with the field, I'd probably still think the universe was headed for a big crunch, and would be very confused if people told me that I was wrong.

Early 80s? It's still discussed, even if largely discredited. You were probably ahead of your time learning it in the early 80s.

Much like "the Civil War was about states' rights," but I guess that's something we know was wrong but still teach. Big Crunch wasn't known as incorrect. Similarly, Pluto's not a planet, eggs don't kill you, physics explains the flight of the bumblebee just fine, Columbus didn't discover America, and sharks don't smell your blood a mile away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 10:38 PHJF

what pisses me off is that it's not a question of math, it's a question of procedure/formatting/semantics.

Nobody past the fifth grade will write a mathematical equation or function with the division symbol, so it isn't an issue. It's not even on my keyboard, for chrissake.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 10:32 RedEye9

VoodooV wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 10:26:

If we all agreed on the same procedure, which I thought we had long ago,
There are agreed upon rules, it's just that they aren't taught anymore.
Hence the confusion.
Oh well, it was good for a chuckle.

9. Re: 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 10:26 VoodooV

what pisses me off is that it's not a question of math, it's a question of procedure/formatting/semantics.

If we all agreed on the same procedure, which I thought we had long ago, this wouldn't be an issue. But humans are fond of drama and stirring shit up.

8. Re: 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 10:06 eRe4s3r

• Simon Says wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 05:55:
    BODMAS and PEDMAS are irrelevant, the confusion comes from how it's written, in reality in non-kiddie math it would converted to ( as you were undoubtedly taught in school to do once algebra kicks in and kiddie math is behind you ) or written originally either this way:

8 / 2(2+2)

or more likely this way:

---------
    2(2+2)

If you remember algebra the objective absolute answer is a no brainer. You first solve the top and bottom then do the division last.

So you end up with:

------
    2(4)

---

Correct answer is thus 1, 16 is an unequivocally erroneous answer.

You are absolutely correct but... the correct (DIGITAL) display of it could be this
    (8 / 2) * (2 + 2) <-- How calculators see it when you enter it 1:1
    or this
    8 / (2 * (2 + 2)) <-- How you actually enter it in a calculator

Point is. If you enter this in a calculator you get a different result each time. Which is why in comp-science class you learn how to use calculators as first thing. Because no, you can not enter equations 1:1 Computa does math differently, and it does NOT interpret equations ... so you have to do that for it.

Ps.: And yes, a good skill to have is knowing how to enter an equation into a calculator and how not to.

So basically, the answer is 1 But it's clear what happened here for people to think it's 16. They don't know how to enter equations into da calculator.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2019, 10:31.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 10:02 Creston

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 09:18 RedEye9

It's 1, I'm glad no one here said 16.  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 08:44 PHJF

The 8/2 factors out to become four which is then multiplied by 1/(2+2)... which is 1...

I was taught by higher-level maths professors to factor.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 08:00 Beamer

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 07:59 Ozmodan

Simon Says wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 05:55:
    BODMAS and PEDMAS are irrelevant, the confusion comes from how it's written, in reality in non-kiddie math it would converted to ( as you were undoubtedly taught in school to do once algebra kicks in and kiddie math is behind you ) or written originally either this way:

8 / 2(2+2)

or more likely this way:

---------
    2(2+2)

If you remember algebra the objective absolute answer is a no brainer. You first solve the top and bottom then do the division last.

So you end up with:

------
    2(4)

---

Sorry Simon but the correct answer is 16 as division takes precedence.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2019, 07:50 Creston

1. 8 2(2+2) Aug 1, 2019, 05:55 Simon Says

8 / 2(2+2)

or more likely this way:

---------
    2(2+2)

So you end up with:

------
    2(4)

---

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2019, 06:08.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo