View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 2, 2019, 14:32
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2019, 14:32
Aug 2, 2019, 14:32

I never claimed they were mutually exclusive. One has greater value over the other. Which is it?

Bodolza wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 16:44:
VoodooV wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:21:
Does fps fix a boring or flawed story?
No, but it does address some visual issues mentioned below.

Gotta ask yourself, what's more important, the movie, or the fps.
They're not mutually exclusive. We can have all these and higher fps.

Jul 31, 2019, 07:52
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2019, 07:52
Jul 31, 2019, 07:52

Retired wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 12:30:
The Cowboys are a mess. Good luck.

Blue, do you have control of the pick em group or do I still?

I am off for a couple of days, i will look at it.

I think you are indeed. Please let me know if that's not the case.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Re: superbug
Jul 31, 2019, 03:31
Re: superbug Jul 31, 2019, 03:31
Jul 31, 2019, 03:31

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:30:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:12:
This shit scares me to no end.

I 100% agree with you. Six years ago, I came down with what I thought was the flu. That was odd in and of itself since I so rarely get sick. Then it got worse. A raging fever that wouldn't break, delirium, and shakes so bad that I was rattling a king sized bed on its frame.

Wife somehow gets me in the truck and we go to the ER as I am no longer very coherent. Turns out it was a blood infection with no injury site. As in, no one could find a point of entry from a bite, a cut, or anything of the like. I ended up being in the hospital for three weeks straight on a course of three antibiotics. The infectious diseases doctor stated that had I waited 24 hours longer, the infection would have become fatal. My entire abdomen was also swollen so much that it was hard, fiery red, and hot to the touch. It had filled with pus. That required a surgery to drain it and clean it. Ended up with a cut so big and deep that my surgeon joked that I could smuggle something the size of a soda can with ease.

It, too, was a staph infection that had turned in to toxic shock syndrome.

Either we start critically controlling antibiotics or we pour billions of public money (so it can't be copyrighted and sold for thousands of dollars per dose) in to research on new antibiotics to combat the new strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Got an infection under my thumbnail last year. It was sore and had some pus, but I assumed it would get better. When black tendrils started snaking up my thumb, I decided I had better go to the ER (it was Sunday of course, so the clinics were closed). Doc said if I had waited another day I would have lost the thumb.

The doctor pulled out a battery powered sterile cautery pen and popped a hole in my nail to drain the fluid. Then they gave me an antibiotic regimen and sent me home. I was in and out in like 15 minutes. My insurance company got charged $1000 while I had to pay $100.
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Jul 31, 2019, 02:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2019, 02:55
Jul 31, 2019, 02:55

It's not an argument. It's a statement of fact.

Does fps fix plot holes?
Does fps increase character development?

Why watch a movie at all? If FPS doesn't matter, just look at a picture book.
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Jul 31, 2019, 02:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2019, 02:51
Jul 31, 2019, 02:51

Cinema is an artistic medium and good cinema can and should be appreciated as works of art...
Thank god a bit of sanity in the comments on this, thank you

Jul 30, 2019, 19:05
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 19:05
Jul 30, 2019, 19:05

Cinema is an artistic medium and good cinema can and should be appreciated as works of art. A good filmmaker will pay careful attention to each and every shot of the movie, intentionally making every creative decision that goes into the work as a whole. Shot composition, lighting, actor performances, scoring, each word of dialogue: all of these and more are the result of conscious effort and decision making to bring about a particular experience.

When frame interpolation is turned on, 36 additional frames per second are being generated by a computer, without any input from the filmmakers, drastically altering the look and feel of each moment of the movie viewing experience. If you really want to enable such an image processing feature, there is nothing stopping you, but it is functionally equivalent to viewing the works in an art museum through a Instagram or Snapchat live filter because you think it looks cooler: you can do whatever you want, but you're kind of missing the point.

Note, that frame interpolation is distinct from filming in 60fps. There are a handful of films which were shot in 60fps and to view such a film at 60 fps isn't the adulteration that frame interpolation is. In contrast, frame interpolation is watching the output of a computer algorithm, not the carefully crafted work of human hands.

Jul 30, 2019, 16:44
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 16:44
Jul 30, 2019, 16:44

No, but it does address some visual issues mentioned below.

They're not mutually exclusive. We can have all these and higher fps.

Jul 30, 2019, 16:34
Re: superbug Jul 30, 2019, 16:34
Jul 30, 2019, 16:34

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:58:
Sooo literally seconds from death.
Not that this is a funny topic, but, a much older gentleman I knew had something similar happen to him and I will never forget what he said when he was released from the hospital after almost dying. "I was weak as a kitten"

All the good things are becoming antibiotic resistant, in my mind it ranks up there with what could cause the next Extinction event.

Yep. Really close to dying.

I concur with the gentleman you know's assessment. I could barely raise my head for a while.

A pandemic is the most likely cause of either extreme human depopulation or complete eradication.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jul 30, 2019, 16:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 16:21
Jul 30, 2019, 16:21

I love UHF, even saw it in the theater twice when it came out. The author of this piece, however, may have seen it once, if at all.

The fact that the blurb under the title of this article claims Al takes over a "cable access station" tells me the author has no idea what the title of the movie stands for. The fact that he thinks Channel 8 was run by a "cable baron" tells me he isn't as old as this movie and wouldn't know how to connect an antenna to a TV.

Also, George's uncle didn't give him the station, as the author seems to think. Rather, he allowed George to run it. Drinking from the fire hose was the prize for finding the marble in the oatmeal, a far cry from "for no reason at all", as the author claims. It's like someone told him about the movie, he then looked up an entry for it on Wikipedia, and turned in this article five minutes before his deadline.

Jul 30, 2019, 16:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 16:11
Jul 30, 2019, 16:11

edit
i done posted this in the wrong thread. sorry

Bard wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:40:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 11:14:
Quickest way to kill fake news, Get Educated.
Barring that, just turn off the "LIKE" and "This Post Has Been Shared
X Number of Times" counters.

Education certainly helps, Problem is we have people with a vested interest in misinforming people essentially in control of everything else people are exposed to.

While any platform being used is not strictly neutral it's very hard for people to get educated. Not enough people visit the non-fiction section of Libraries these days

Watch a youtube on the moon landing being fake and your recommended list will populate with flat earth and 9/11 truther videos.
It's all about the clicks.

Seriously though
Was the first moon landing the only one that was faked or were the other 5 also faked.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2019, 16:57.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Jul 30, 2019, 16:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 16:09
Jul 30, 2019, 16:09

Motion plus ruined season 6 of the walking dead until I realised why it all looked crap. Season 7 ruined itself...

Jul 30, 2019, 15:58
Re: superbug Jul 30, 2019, 15:58
Jul 30, 2019, 15:58

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 15:30:

I 100% agree with you. Six years ago, I came down with what I thought was the flu. That was odd in and of itself since I so rarely get sick. Then it got worse. A raging fever that wouldn't break, delirium, and shakes so bad that I was rattling a king sized bed on its frame.

Either we start critically controlling antibiotics or we pour billions of public money (so it can't be copyrighted and sold for thousands of dollars per dose) in to research on new antibiotics to combat the new strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Sooo literally seconds from death.
Not that this is a funny topic, but, a much older gentleman I knew had something similar happen to him and I will never forget what he said when he was released from the hospital after almost dying. "I was weak as a kitten"

All the good things are becoming antibiotic resistant, in my mind it ranks up there with what could cause the next Extinction event.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Jul 30, 2019, 15:30
Re: superbug Jul 30, 2019, 15:30
Jul 30, 2019, 15:30

Wife somehow gets me in the truck and we go to the ER as I am no longer very coherent. Turns out it was a blood infection with no injury site. As in, no one could find a point of entry from a bite, a cut, or anything of the like. I ended up being in the hospital for three weeks straight on a course of three antibiotics. The infectious diseases doctor stated that had I waited 24 hours longer, the infection would have become fatal. My entire abdomen was also swollen so much that it was hard, fiery red, and hot to the touch. It had filled with pus. That required a surgery to drain it and clean it. Ended up with a cut so big and deep that my surgeon joked that I could smuggle something the size of a soda can with ease.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jul 30, 2019, 15:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 15:21
Jul 30, 2019, 15:21

It's not an argument. It's a statement of fact.

Does fps fix plot holes?
Does fps increase character development?

superbug
Jul 30, 2019, 15:12
superbug Jul 30, 2019, 15:12
Jul 30, 2019, 15:12

This shit scares me to no end. Last Sunday I wake up, leg feels a bit funny. Wife mentions in the morning that it looks a bit purple.

That afternoon it starts turning red, like angry, burned red. Starts to hurt. By that evening I can barely walk on it. Go to the doctor the next morning, who immediately sends me to the ER thinking it's a blood clot. After a bunch of tests, nope, it's a staph infection.

How did I get it? No fucking idea. Someone told me a chigger bite could cause it. In any case, 8 out of 10 days of antibiotics later and I'm right as rain again.

If that fucking staph infection had been antibiotics resistant, odds are decent this would have been a major health issue and potentially even life threatening... Yay.

I can't wait until the day when we go back to the fucking Middle Ages again for infections.

FUCK every doctor who has prescribed antibiotics when not needed, FUCK every person who asked for them when they just had a virus, or who got them and didn't finish them properly, and TRIPLE FUCK WITH A boiling hot BARBWIRE the fucking "food industry" who has been putting antibiotics in livestock feed.

Especially the latter. I hope all those bastards get a fucking antibiotics-resistant staph infection in their ass.

Jul 30, 2019, 14:59
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 14:59
Jul 30, 2019, 14:59
 Cutter

Sad article about Mongolia but once again it seems the majority of the problem is caused by the herders themselves. Overgrazing is no different from overfishing, overlogging, etc.

'Solider checks in souvenir from Middle-east isn't quite the same clickbait headline is it?

Jerry must have dementia if he thinks the Cowboys can win the Superbowl any time soon. Curious to see if Baker Mayfield and the Browns are for real this year. Also if the Lions can do any better. Think it's gonna' be a tough season in the NFC North this year that's for sure. I wonder how much of a factor Mack is going to be for the Bears this season.
"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

Jul 30, 2019, 14:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 14:55
Jul 30, 2019, 14:55

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 13:47:
Every film you've ever seen (excepting maybe 4) is 24 fps.

And why is this an argument for 24FPS? Since that Youtuber like to bring up logical falicies, this is a standard "appeal to tradition".

Jul 30, 2019, 13:47
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 13:47
Jul 30, 2019, 13:47

Every film you've ever seen (excepting maybe 4) is 24 fps.

Jul 30, 2019, 13:37
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 13:37
Jul 30, 2019, 13:37

JZ Temple wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 12:51:
Check out this video from Filmmaker IQ: A Defense of 24 FPS and Why It's Here to Stay for Cinema

Well, that's 20 minutes of my life I'm not getting back... Every single argument is either pedantic bullshit, a strawman or doesn't even address the points I presented.

-Is 24fps a stutter fest when you're used to 60+ videos? YES

-Is 24fps a workaround? YES

-Are 24fps fast panning scenes vaseline blurry even if you don't "pause"? YES

-Could they be less blurry and retain more details when shot at a higher FPS? YES

Jul 30, 2019, 13:30
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 13:30
Jul 30, 2019, 13:30

JZ Temple wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 12:51:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 12:35:
Paid for SVP4 and I can't stand to watch anything with it not enabled anymore. It's a stutter fest. It's like trying to play a first person shooter at 24 fps when you're used to 60+.
The movie industry, instead of whining like crybabies about something devised as a workaround in the 20th century to alleviate technical problems arising from high framerate shooting like bandwidth issues and others, they could just adapt and catch up with the rest of us in the 21th century.
Movies shot at 60hz or even 120hz, how about it? I'm down with it! Bring it on! Down with the blurry stuttery mess, say no to antiquated 24/30hz ( unless you're going for that vintage artistic look ).

Check out this video from Filmmaker IQ: A Defense of 24 FPS and Why It's Here to Stay for Cinema
Good video, I like how he slams clueless gamers near the end. Looks like 24fps is hear to stay, Should have known it'd come down to money.
TIL Objective vs Subjective
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older