Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store

Tim Sweeney tweets that cloud saves are now enabled for a couple of games on the Epic Games Store as the first step towards a larger rollout of this feature. He says: "Cloud saves are enabled for a couple of new games right now. We have a bit more work to do before rolling it out more widely." In response to a question about how this is implemented, he later tweeted: "Itís a manual process for the store team per game but it usually doesnít require developers to update their games." Thanks PCGamesN.
View

21. Re: 'That's All She Wrote' Jul 27, 2019, 04:10  jdreyer 

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 27, 2019, 02:16:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 21:40:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 21:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 20:29:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 15:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 15:11:
Would the last person out the door at Valve headquarters Please Remember To Turn Off The Lights.

They can afford to keep the lights on all night. Can't say the same for Epic, if the current Fortnite trend continues.
Thank you, exactly the point I was trying to make in the other thread.

It's still a moot point. What makes you think that Epic's life depends on Fortnite?

[rest snipped as irrelevant]

Simple.

Before Fortnite's success, Epic took in about a billion or so annually from engine licensing fees. During that entire time, Epic never had a store beyond a launcher created for Paragon in 2016. Neither Paragon nor the Unreal engine was enough to start a store. However, once they reached a combined three billion in annual income from engines fees and Fortnite, then they did it. After Fortnite's success, and shutting down Paragon in April 2018, did they repurpose the Paragon launcher into a barebones storefront and rush it out the door as a non-minimum viable product. As Toad Howard puts it, "It's not how you launch, it's what it becomes" that matters...

In other words, Epic only got into the platform business after Fortnite's success infused Epic with an additional two billion.

Those are the facts. They tell you everything you need to know.

Epic is not the Steam killer and never will be. As an established brand, the only company who'll dethrone Valve is Valve themselves.

And?

Where is the part that explains why they can not maintain their store? Why can they not keep it running for years, decades...?

Yeah, Fortnite money put them into the position to be able to take the significant risk of launching a storefront which naturally comes with a huge up front investment but keeping the store going once you have a critical mass of customers is a different story and the actual topic at hand.

So, let's hear it... why will they have to shut down in less than five years? Why does Epic's existence now depend solely on Fortnite when it hasn't for the 26 years pre-Fortnite? Or are y'all just going to continue with your doltish hating and wishful thinking?

And y'all also going to keep up the fact twisting and the making up of plain dumb shit like Epic wanting to be a "Steam killer"? What a load of bullshit. That is not EGS' mission statement at all and Sweeney has said so many times but to know that would require reading comprehension instead of sticking your head up your ass.

Anyway, bad news for ya. The Epic store ain't going anywhere. Sweeney has said he's in it for the long haul. The guy is a good CEO who is thinking long term and he's not into this narrow-minded crap like the Steam fanbois. You think the kids in 10, 15 years will give a shit if Sweeney bought a few exclusives to get the EGS where it is? Yeah, think again.
His long term plan (years, a decade+) is to establish the EGS as a Steam alternative (not replacement) with very fair deals for devs/publishers. There is a good chance this will succeed regardless of whatever happens to Fortnite. Fortnite money just helped kickstart the thing.

I never said it's a foregone conclusion that EGS would close in 5 years. Just that the risk that they will close is much higher than other storefronts, so I'm reticent to put any actual money into their platform. Once that sweet, sweet Fortnite money dries up, they won't be able to buy exclusives any more. They can't compete with Steam on features. They can't compete on price (per Steam's contract). So how will they compete? It's not clear to me. So the risk that Epic won't support EGS forever is high. This seems obvious to me. CJ, you're one of the more analytical and intelligent members on this forum, how's this not obvious to you?

And this has nothing to do with my personal preference on where I wish to buy games. I actually like what EGS is doing, trying to gain market share to offer competition to Steam. I just don't see them being successful in the long run due to the reasons I stated.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 26, 11:24 Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store Pr()ZaC
  2. Jul 26, 11:53  Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  Slick 
  3. Jul 26, 12:06 Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store Verno
  4. Jul 26, 13:31  Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  BIGtrouble77 
  6. Jul 26, 13:40   Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store J
  13. Jul 26, 16:44  Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store eRe4s3r
  40. Jul 30, 09:46   Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store Verno
  41. Aug 1, 14:06    Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store eRe4s3r
  5. Jul 26, 13:40 Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store aka_STEVE
  7. Jul 26, 14:28 Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  Kxmode 
  8. Jul 26, 14:31 Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  Kxmode 
  9. Jul 26, 15:00  Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store Avus
  10. Jul 26, 15:08   Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  Tipsy McStagger 
  14. Jul 26, 17:11   Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store FloorPie
  15. Jul 26, 17:25    Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store  Kxmode 
  11. Jul 26, 15:11 'That's All She Wrote'  RedEye9 
  12. Jul 26, 15:49  Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  Kxmode 
  17. Jul 26, 20:29   Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  jdreyer 
  18. Jul 26, 21:04    Re: 'That's All She Wrote' CJ_Parker
  19. Jul 26, 21:40     Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  Kxmode 
  20. Jul 27, 02:16      Re: 'That's All She Wrote' CJ_Parker
>> 21. Jul 27, 04:10       Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  jdreyer 
  24. Jul 27, 14:37        Re: 'That's All She Wrote' CJ_Parker
  25. Jul 27, 15:15         Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  Sepharo 
  26. Jul 27, 22:52          Re: 'That's All She Wrote'  jdreyer