Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation

A post on Reddit notes changes to the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ on the official website for the upcoming BattleTech game (thanks Sarna.net via Neutronbeam). Reddit user Ironshards points the way to an archived version of the FAQ that shows that the changes include the removal of all mentions of Steam, which has spawned speculation that the game may have become an Epic Games Store exclusive along the way. Most of the alterations relate to the game's preorder program, which has ended, which lends to a more benign explanation for the changes. Neither Epic nor Piranha Games has commented on the prospect of the game coming to the EGS, but Piranha Games President Russ Bullock Tweets that the change to the FAQ is indeed due to the end of the preorder program and is part of a general rework coming to the rest of the website. It does bear noting that there are a few request in this thread asking Russ to directly say whether the game will come to the Epic Games Store and/or Steam which go unanswered. Here are his replies:

Itís just the FAQ for the new updated MW5 site weíre going to launch soon ó makes no sense to have community preorder bits on it. Didnít necessarily want to let on about the site update yet but since people be all worried

Well now you can let them know itís just the site update incoming - no need to have preorder bits in the FAQ

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 25, 2019, 12:20 Verno

Slashman wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 22:03:
I must be in a major minority because my friends and I use them all the time. We're totally weird like that.

Haha yeah exactly. No one uses reviews? Multiplayer in games? No one uses the category or library features? No one uses Big Picture? No one uses the Friends list? No one uses Workshop? The marketplace? No one uses Cloud Saves?

I guess all of the millions of people using those things are just the vocal minority bwuahah. Epic is obviously cleaning up and has no need to buy exclusives then because features don't matter apparently.

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 23, 2019, 17:54 Sepharo

Slashman wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 15:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 22:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 17:36:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 15:58:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 15:30:
Just going to swoop in and LEAVE THIS HERE

Yeah but nobody actually likes or uses those features and if you think you do it's only because you're brainwashed.
All you really need is the ability to buy a game geez.
But teh steamz has 85% more things no one ever uses. gosh

I must be in a major minority because my friends and I use them all the time. We're totally weird like that.

Sorry but your opinion doesn't really matter. If I personally don't use most of Steam's features then they are clearly worthless and serve no purpose. If Valve just removed those features and 90% of the games on Steam, they could easily reduce their insane and totally non-standard 30% cut and prevent developers from accepting millions of dollars in bribes for EGS timed exclusivity.

Yeah I get that most people must not want them and I wonder why it is that Epic has a road map to add them to its store?

They were also brainwashed by Steam.

34. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 23, 2019, 15:48 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 22:43:

Yeah but nobody actually likes or uses those features and if you think you do it's only because you're brainwashed.

Sorry but your opinion doesn't really matter. If I personally don't use most of Steam's features then they are clearly worthless and serve no purpose. If Valve just removed those features and 90% of the games on Steam, they could easily reduce their insane and totally non-standard 30% cut and prevent developers from accepting millions of dollars in bribes for EGS timed exclusivity.

Yeah I get that most people must not want them and I wonder why it is that Epic has a road map to add them to its store?

33. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 23:16 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 17:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 14:44:
Darks was referencing Piranha Bytes.

No he wasn't. Piranha Bytes have only released the following games: Gothic 1, 2 + NotR add-on, Gothic 3, Risen series (three games) and Elex. Not a single one of their games has even had multiplayer, let alone any MMO crap inside of it.

Darks was referencing Piranha Games, the devs of MechWarrior Online as well as MW5 here.

Ya. But it's generally known that MWO is barely paying the bills -- no surprise, 6 years is a pretty good run -- and that MW5 is their attempt to establish some new revenue.

32. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 22:43 Jerykk

31. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 22:03 Slashman

30. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 17:36 RedEye9

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

29. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 17:31 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 14:44:
Slashman wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 23:08:
Darks wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 20:41:
Slashman wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 20:10:
Basically its Epic helping to pay for publishing costs.

As a developer who cannot finance their game properly I'd take the cash. It's interesting that most of these deals are big publishers who can finance their games and do better by developers but instead kick the games out the door whether they are ready or not.

Kickstarter games are another thing entirely. Those guys already got paid what they reckoned they would need for their games. That's why they kickstarted them in the first place. I really can't see any justification for them taking an Epic deal.

That's why it is a little hard to swallow Sweeny's I'm just doing it for the good of gaming line when he is constantly going in low and then apologizing for doing the the thing he is going to continue doing.

Yea, well thats bullshit. This developer can very easily publish their own game, they make a ton off selling in game crap from their MmO version. This is nothing but pure selfish greed on the part of the developer to take advantage off the situation.

Nothing else plain and simple greed!

Wow. Solar Ash and Ancestors the Humankind Odyssey must really be looking to cash in on their MMO versions!

No he wasn't. Piranha Bytes have only released the following games: Gothic 1, 2 + NotR add-on, Gothic 3, Risen series (three games) and Elex. Not a single one of their games has even had multiplayer, let alone any MMO crap inside of it.

Darks was referencing Piranha Games, the devs of MechWarrior Online as well as MW5 here.

28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 15:58 Sepharo

Just going to swoop in and LEAVE THIS HERE......

OK BYE!

27. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 15:30 Tipsy McStagger

Just going to swoop in and LEAVE THIS HERE......

OK BYE!

26. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 14:44 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 23:08:

As a developer who cannot finance their game properly I'd take the cash. It's interesting that most of these deals are big publishers who can finance their games and do better by developers but instead kick the games out the door whether they are ready or not.

Kickstarter games are another thing entirely. Those guys already got paid what they reckoned they would need for their games. That's why they kickstarted them in the first place. I really can't see any justification for them taking an Epic deal.

That's why it is a little hard to swallow Sweeny's I'm just doing it for the good of gaming line when he is constantly going in low and then apologizing for doing the the thing he is going to continue doing.

Yea, well thats bullshit. This developer can very easily publish their own game, they make a ton off selling in game crap from their MmO version. This is nothing but pure selfish greed on the part of the developer to take advantage off the situation.

Wow. Solar Ash and Ancestors the Humankind Odyssey must really be looking to cash in on their MMO versions!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 10:21 Burrito of Peace

"Well, ackchyually, it's about ethics in storefronts! #GameStoreFrontGate"  

24. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 09:03 Primalchrome

Simon Says wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 18:20:
I played with their toys without paying. There's such a thing as consistence when someone is acting from principles and yes I do realize the apparent "irony" in those words, fortunately, I don't give one shit about CULT-ural beliefs, dogmas and taboos that indoctrinate people from birth the world over into suggesting such a logically fallacious irony in the first place.
....usually folks actually acting on principle simply don't buy the item and patronize the product/service. Let's not play the 'make myself feel better' game and try to cloak it in some kind of self-righteous-sticking-it-to-the-man conspiracy.

23. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 23:37 RedEye9

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 23:17:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 15:13:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 14:45:
Cue the manbabies posting their usual drivel about EGS which is the online equivalent of throwing your toys out of the crib and crying about it...
DUDE!
ReadMyLips
two words;
different color storefront and shopping cart!
GoSh!

i seem to have thrown my toys beyond my reach, would someone please be kind enough to toss them back in my crib

Going to need a lot more straw to stuff in that argument if you want to get paid.
Au contraire Mon frere, the Checks keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. It's like I've won the lottery day after day after day. Let me know your bank account number and I'll send you some cash.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

22. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 23:17 grudgebearer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 15:13:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 14:45:
Cue the manbabies posting their usual drivel about EGS which is the online equivalent of throwing your toys out of the crib and crying about it...
DUDE!
ReadMyLips
two words;
different color storefront and shopping cart!
GoSh!

i seem to have thrown my toys beyond my reach, would someone please be kind enough to toss them back in my crib

Going to need a lot more straw to stuff in that argument if you want to get paid.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

21. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 23:08 Slashman

20. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 20:55 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 17:27:
Well, what is Steam doing to improve things, exactly? A few minor UI overhauls? It seems like Steam is just content to wait out the Fortnite money train, but so far that train is hauling in billions of dollars with no end in sight. It seems strange to just sit by and just not do anything when another player comes and starts taking away your market share.

Maybe nobody at Valve can be bothered to roll their desk over to the "Let's come with a plan of action against EGS" corner.

Valve is constantly improving Steam for both devs and customers. Case in point: the new Steam Labs experiment. Basically exposing R&D for discoverability tools to the public and using their feedback to guide development. In the long run, this will help devs expose their games to more customers and it will make it easier for customers to find games they want to play.

Valve has done more to improve discoverability than any other platform. Constant improvement of Steam is their plan of action against EGS. Really, that's the only thing they can do other than pay for exclusives or punish devs/pubs that agree to EGS exclusivity.

Simon Says wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 18:20:
Yeah noticing a trend lately about EGS posts... On one side you have drivel like this from the pro exclusives / pro anti-competitive group, on the other you have principled arguments from the pro competition group.

It's because the EGS defenders know they don't really have a valid position so they resort to reductive arguments made in bad faith.

For example, mocking people for criticizing the lack of a shopping cart when that's just one of many, many features that EGS lacks.

19. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 20:41 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 20:10 Slashman

17. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 18:58 FloorPie

Its Pirhana games, of course they'll take a cash payout from Epic or anyone offering one.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo