Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

It was 50 years ago today that Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon, making his famed "one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind." TIL that we left more than footprints and flags behind, as this article notes almost 200 tonnes (220 tons) of things we've sent to the moon remain there to this day. This includes five Saturn V rocket stages; dozens of U.S. and Soviet probes; some robots; a bunch of lunar rovers; two golf balls; and 96 bags for poo, urine, and vomit the article notes that scientists "are keen to get their hands on should the opportunity arise." Sounds like we need to send up one of those crews in orange vests to do some roadside cleanup. But either way, we should send astronauts back there and beyond. Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

R.I.P.: Professor Patrick Winston, former director of MIT’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, dies at 76. Thanks Slashdot via Ant.

Lunar Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Moon Landing Conspiracists in 2019. Thanks Digg.
‘Tired of Running’- A Sci-Fi Veteran Tells His Own (Earthling) Story. Thanks RedEye9.
The details behind the iconic patch of Apollo 11.
Stories: Alan Moore, writer worst served by Hollywood, calls it quits.
Why Taquerias Are Making Guacamole Without Avocados. Heretics. Thanks RedEye9.
Torpedoed US warship found, solving 75-year-old cold case.
Science: The latest study on trigger warnings finally convinced me they’re not worth it. Thanks Max.
France seeks science-fiction writers to help futureproof its military against science-fact. Thanks Neutronbeam.
This little-known inventor has probably saved your life. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: StarCrafts S7 Ep 3 'My Life For Aiur.'
The first clip from Rick and Morty season 4 stars a diabolical Taika Waititi. Thanks Neutronbeam.
“Unpickable” Europa Disc Padlock Picked FAST.
Follow-ups: The lesson from the ruins of Notre Dame- don’t rely on billionaires. Thanks Boing Boing.
Archer renewed for season 11, reveals major changes.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2019, 08:12 Fusey

@RedEye9 - Thanks for the link regarding the ARL Flight Memory Unit. Very interesting!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2019, 10:59 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 20:14:
Blue wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 14:44:
JZ Temple wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 14:23:
But either way, we should send astronauts back there and beyond. Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

I don't know, I'd really like to spend those billions on things like climate change, health care, education, etc. But then only my wife listens to me, and even then not always.

The science that comes from the space program benefits all mankind. And the future of humanity can be safeguarded once we stop keeping all our eggs in this one basket. IMO.

Here are some examples: 3 Automotive Innovations That Came From the Space Program
and more Space Spinoffs: The Technology To Reach The Moon Was Put To Use Back On Earth npr.org

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2019, 10:12 Creston

Numinar wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 08:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 19:55:
Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 17:30:
As for Archer season 11, fuck yeah!

"I can only get so erect."

What? Come on, you were pushing rope!

Are we sure we're not doing phrasing anymore?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2019, 08:58 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 19:55:

What? Come on, you were pushing rope!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2019, 08:47 Numinar

But either way, we should send astronauts back there and beyond. Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

I don't know, I'd really like to spend those billions on things like climate change, health care, education, etc. But then only my wife listens to me, and even then not always.

The science that comes from the space program benefits all mankind. And the future of humanity can be safeguarded once we stop keeping all our eggs in this one basket. IMO.

As a massive space nut I'm partial to this argument, though the kind of Human that will live in space wont be much like us, none of our 4.5 billion years of adaptation helps up there. The country I live in is already fairly uninhabitable in parts, Antarctica is not great either. But the worse place on, under or submerged in the oceans of earth is easier to colonise than Mars or the Moon. Earth after a dino-killer rock, gamma burst or rogue black hole would still probably be better than those places for the few survivors, and with infrastructure you can have a lot more survivors. You just wouldn't want to put kids through space any time in the next few hundred years unless people start making some crazy progress.

If we funded environmental research and action (Which should probably include getting industry and energy outside the atmosphere if we can't clean it up) and space based calamity reduction efforts at the same rate as Apollo (and this goes for all governments, not just the US) that would do more for long term survival than anything else. The cost of terraforming any of the frozen/firey hell spheres in this solar system or creating some kind of hard to imagine artificial self sustaining habitat that dosn't need volatiles from earth seems almost unimaginable for a people that have not left Earth orbit in 47 years.

But again, I hope I'm wrong and Eric Weinstein isn't full of shit and his or someone elses sci-fi physics shit will take us to the stars before we use it to blow each other up.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 20:14 jdreyer

Here are some examples: 3 Automotive Innovations That Came From the Space Program

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 19:57 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 17:44:
Heads up, the humble bundle this month has Kingdom Come Deliverance AND Surviving Mars!

What what WHAAAAT???

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 19:55 jdreyer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 18:21 Kxmode

Star Trek Picard ComicCon trailer! Welcome back to the Prime timeline. Dance

Patrick Stewart posted a video where he talks about San Diego ComicCon on the way to San Diego.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2019, 18:34.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 17:44 Creston

Heads up, the humble bundle this month has Kingdom Come Deliverance AND Surviving Mars!  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 17:33 ventry

The Latest Study on Trigger Warnings Finally Convinced Me They’re Not Worth It

And in other news....
The sky is blue...
Water is wet...
Being born is the leading cause of cancer...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 17:31 Creston

and 96 bags for poo, urine, and vomit the article notes that scientists "are keen to get their hands on should the opportunity arise."

I'm on it! Let me get Jeb!

*fires up Kerbal Space Program.*

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 17:30 Creston

50 years and counting. Thank you, Neil, and all the other astronauts (and the Russian cosmonauts as well) for taking such incredible risks and dedicating your life to the furtherance of the human race.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 14:25:
If it's not actual guac than they're obliged to call it something else or it's fraud. That's like you coming to my bar and I suggest a Gin & Tonic and hand you a Screwdriver, 'There ya go, pal, one G&T.' It's not like what they're making sounds bad so I don't understand the desire to deceive people.

Yeah, I don't like the deception either. I'm sure the reasons are monetary. They should call it "squash guac" or whatever. Tuscan bean hummus is still delicious without chickpeas. Ditto for vodka tonics.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:44  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:35 jdreyer

The Latest Study on Trigger Warnings Finally Convinced Me They’re Not Worth It

As they say, the road to Hell...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:26 Cutter

I'm in complete agreement. I'm all for space travel but only if it's privatized. We need far too many things here and now to be wasting tax dollars on space. Just listen to Gil Scott Heron's Whitey's on the Moon.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:25 Cutter

If it's not actual guac than they're obliged to call it something else or it's fraud. That's like you coming to my bar and I suggest a Gin & Tonic and hand you a Screwdriver, 'There ya go, pal, one G&T.' It's not like what they're making sounds bad so I don't understand the desire to deceive people.

Don't trust billionaires? No shit.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 14:23 JZ Temple

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 12:39 RedEye9

Finally, a lawyer I could come to love.  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo