Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia?

A Google Stadia AMA on Reddit yesterday answered some questions about Google's planned streaming game service. Since Google is notorious for pulling the plug on projects that don't pull their weight (Wikipedia puts the number at 50), Google's Andrey Doronichev was hit with the question of what will happen to game purchases if Stadia ends up going to a farm upstate to live with a nice couple. The response is that nothing in life is certain:

We get this a lot. I hear you. Moving to the cloud is scary. I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it's hard to find a CD player these days :)

The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it’s great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we'll feel great about it. We’ve been investing a ton in tech, infrastructure and partnerships over the past few years. Nothing in life is certain, but we’re committed to making Stadia a success.

The games you buy on Stadia are yours to play. From day one we’ll support Takeout, so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to.

Of course, it’s ok to doubt my words. Theres nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't. But what we can do is to launch the service and continue investing in it for years to come. Exactly how we've been doing with gMail, Docs, Music, Movies and Photos. That’s exactly what we’re committed to.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 22, 2019, 23:14 Nighthawk

Me and my Ultraviolet account would like to discuss this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 22, 2019, 11:45 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 19:33:
You got me curious. Looks like my Google Video purchases transferred to YouTube... not the same for you?
If I go to this url logged in with the account I used to purchase them on Google Videos originally they all show up there:
https://www.youtube.com/feed/purchases

Don't take this to mean I'm defending or making excuses for Google or anything, they've killed off plenty that I like to use...

I only see some shitty Transformer movie I got a code for in a contest. I already went through this with Googles laughable support and they refused to do anything about it except issue us a gift card for $50. Around the same time on reddit there were quite a few people in the same boat, I will go dig up the old thread.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

38. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 21, 2019, 23:08 Sepharo

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 22:20:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 19:28:
Thinks CDs are "files", that people dont have files anymore and only stream, then thinks CD players are hard to find.

I don't mean to defend his non-answers, but it has been nearly a decade since I last saw a CD player in the wild. And it's probably been five years since I last manually managed mp3 files to load onto a smart phone. And I don't personally know anyone under 60 who doesn't just use Spotify or Youtube to listen to music. I get that audiophiles may not be satisfied with streaming services, but I think it's kinda disingenuous to suggest that the mass market hasn't adopted music streaming as the standard way to listen to music.

*Disclosure: work for Google, don't work on Stadia, opinion is my own, have no plans to use Stadia, etc.

My parents who are in their mid 60's know how to use Spotify far better than I do.
I only listen to music in the car, and when I do that I do it via the ol fashioned radio... but mostly I listen to podcasts instead.

37. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 21, 2019, 22:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 19:28:
Thinks CDs are "files", that people dont have files anymore and only stream, then thinks CD players are hard to find.

I don't mean to defend his non-answers, but it has been nearly a decade since I last saw a CD player in the wild. And it's probably been five years since I last manually managed mp3 files to load onto a smart phone. And I don't personally know anyone under 60 who doesn't just use Spotify or Youtube to listen to music. I get that audiophiles may not be satisfied with streaming services, but I think it's kinda disingenuous to suggest that the mass market hasn't adopted music streaming as the standard way to listen to music.

*Disclosure: work for Google, don't work on Stadia, opinion is my own, have no plans to use Stadia, etc.

36. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 19:28 Muscular Beaver

What a shitty snake oil seller.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

35. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 09:03 RedEye9

Flo wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 07:40:
Again
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2019/06/10/stadioid
PA was spot on.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

34. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 07:40 Flo

Again
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2019/06/10/stadioid

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

33. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 06:29 Jonjonz

What a clueless know-nothing.

I have an expanded smart phone SIMM chip with all my music collection, which is 10 times bigger than my CD collection, and it is also less expensive and faster to acquire new/old songs today, and none of it from cloud services, 90% from one click conversions of Youtube 'lyric' videos.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

32. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 02:17 jdreyer

If I could buy games, GoG-style, and have them in an untouchable cloud account, that would be cool. Can't see that happening though.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

31. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 20, 2019, 00:50 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 16:48:
Sorry, the "cloud" is bullshit and is absolutely untrustworthy. Only a broke dick mouthpiece from Google would believe otherwise.

He doesn't actually believe any of his own bullshit. He's just parroting that to make good copy for the media. Most Silicon Valley bros don't let their families use their own products that they keep bleating are so wildly life-affirming and transformative, because they know full well that they are terrible, addictive and in general just not as beneficial as they're being made out to be.

This clown knows full well that unless Stadia starts bringing in billions of dollars from the get-go, the higher-up assholes at Alphabet are going to shitcan it in a matter of a few years.

30. Re: OnLive Jul 19, 2019, 21:37 DarkCntry

The Relentless wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 11:26:
When OnLive died, all your games died with it.

Not quite the same, OnLive was a service...you didn't purchase the games.

Now, you could buy digital copies of games via OnLive (a handful of titles), but the vast majority were locked as a service that you pay monthly for.

In that case, you were only paying for said service and not individual games, and when the service stops, so would general access.

In Stadia's case, you're digitally purchasing the games but they remain remote...if Google decides that the service isn't making what it should then you'd lose access to both the service and your overall purchases.

29. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 19:33 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:59:
We had a bunch of videos for the kids on Google Videos a long time ago, they basically retired the entire platform and gave us a $50 giftcard that didn't come close to the total value of the library. Too bad so sad, they give no fucks.

You got me curious. Looks like my Google Video purchases transferred to YouTube... not the same for you?
If I go to this url logged in with the account I used to purchase them on Google Videos originally they all show up there:
https://www.youtube.com/feed/purchases

Don't take this to mean I'm defending or making excuses for Google or anything, they've killed off plenty that I like to use...

28. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 19:28 MyRealName

Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too

What arrogance. As if the entire consumer-level hardware market (not to mention the interest in it) will just dry up and die. Just like PCs did, right? Oh, and all independent developers will just quit doing what they love to do. And all hacker types who move in step to defeat this type of nonsense every single day. And all retro collectors will forgo their passions. Etc., etc. Everyone who loves machines and tech will simply bow to the cloud. Right.

Google, since you track everything, track this: Eat shit.

27. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 18:48 saluk

Bad.  

26. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 17:21 Overon

You got to be pretty naive to be reassured by what that dude said.  

25. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 16:48 Burrito of Peace

" I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it's hard to find a CD player these days

The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files…"

This may be true for fucking morons who don't have two brain cells to rub together.

My legally purchased music? Ripped either from CDs in FLAC or bought as direct downloads and stored on my media server then backed up to both an on-site and off-site location. Movies, files, and pictures? Those are rounded up as part of an encrypted backup that goes to both an on-site and off-site location.

Sorry, the "cloud" is bullshit and is absolutely untrustworthy. Only a broke dick mouthpiece from Google would believe otherwise.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

24. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 16:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:01:
You buy games on Stadia, those games will be GONE in 3-5 years when they shut that shit down again.

I know, we run the risk with all of our other digital storefronts too. GabeN promised they'd make all the games capable of running offline permanently if they ever take Steam down, but it's just a promise. It's not in writing anywhere. Every other storefront doesn't even have this promise.

But none of them are Google, which is fucking notorious for shutting down everything they don't like anymore. Stadia will undoubtedly be in this list. Purchase at your own peril.
At least with Steam, you can spoof that Steam is running pretty easily.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 16:42 jdreyer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 11:00:
This is pretty much the most patronizing response I could imagine Google giving. At the same level of tonedefness as "We All Have Cellphones, So Come On, Let's Get Real".

Or the XB1 guy's response to the always online requirement: #dealwithit

22. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 16:05 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:01:
You buy games on Stadia, those games will be GONE in 3-5 years when they shut that shit down again.

That's generous. I'm calling 2 years max before they pull the plug on it. If they were renting games at $5 for a full week I'd bite but otherwise no. Besides, I was in the ACO Stadia beta and was less than impressed. Yeah you can play well most of the time but the visual fidelity sucks big time compared to playing on your own rig.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

21. Re: So he just said Stadia will be a failure? Jul 19, 2019, 15:29 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:47:
Hanneth wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 12:35:
Someone else has already stated a short list of their long list of high profile product shutdowns.
https://killedbygoogle.com/

Thanks for the link.

It doesn't bode well that services are the highest number of projects killed by Google.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo