Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I'm starting to turn my attention towards reforming the sovereign state of Manstovia. As I previously mentioned, charcoal grills are verboten by our new homeowners association, so I must turn my attention elsewhere. At first I thought this meant I would have to get a propane grill, but in reading the HOA rules, it does not appear there is a rule against wood pellet grills, so I am going to look a little further into this. There is already a pellet stove in the house, and we're discussing installing another in my office/man cave, so it would be pretty convenient to get a grill that uses the same sort of fuel.

Fuelled Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Mr. Blast.
Stories: Half a century after Apollo, why havenít we been back to the Moon?
Philadelphia high-rise fire- Man escapes by climbing down it in true "Spider-Man" style.
"Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" To End With S7.
Science: The 'Ghosts' of 2 Unknown Extinct Human Species Have Been Found in Modern DNA. Thanks Max.
Study suggests girls' advantage in reading explains gender gap in math fields. Thanks Max.
Media: Moonlighting: RTX Real-Time Ray Tracing Snaps Apollo 11 Landing Into Focus.
The Real Story Behind the Apollo 11 Computer Error.
Jumping The Tour Dr France Peloton 2019.
Follow-up: Toys 'R' Us is coming back to the United States.
Shkreli stays in jail; Infamous ex-pharma CEO quickly loses appeal.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 23:27 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 02:19:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 00:20:
The Witcher trailer.

Actually looks awesome.

Agreed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 02:19 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2019, 00:20:
The Witcher trailer.

Actually looks awesome.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2019, 00:20 Kxmode

The Witcher trailer.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 23:09 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 17:01:
1badmf wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 15:01:
so you're telling me she scored a 1570 out of 1600? and a perfect score on verbal? holy fuck. i guess i for one welcome our dreyer overlords. or lady in this case.

Even weirder is that she didn't prep or study for it. And she was recovering from a concussion.

One thing I've read about modern education is that language is a grade earlier than when we were kids and math is two grades. So I wonder if learning stuff earlier is part of it.

She says she wants to be a surgeon, so she's on her way, I guess.

Tell her to focus on neurology. That's the future big time for so many reasons. Neurologist/neurosurgeon/neurotologist/neuroradiologist/neuroscience anything is writing your own ticket to wherever you want to go these days.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 22:49 1badmf

less common in socal but i've seen it. almost smashed into two assholes on bikes cuz they felt like slamming on their brakes on the freeway so they'd have room to do some wheelies. one of those fucks looked behind him only when he heard my screeching tires running up on him. then wheelie'd off into the distance without even a second look.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 21:36 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 14:22:
Some of you live in Northern California, did anyone here about this?

Authorities in Sacramento, California arrested a total of seven people while issuing 27 traffic citations in connection to a highway stunting and sideshow event that shut down a major portion of Interstate 5 this past Saturday. For the unfamiliar, sideshows are when a group of people halts traffic on a roadway so they can perform various vehicular shenanigans like burnouts and donuts, the commutes and general safety of bystanders be damned.

This isn't a rare occurrence in NorCal. San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento...even the more rural cities like Chico or down like Fresno...they all have a "sideshow" problem and have had it for some time. That said, it doesn't happen in broad daylight very often. This is a stupid thing in the first place, but doing it in broad daylight on I5 is basically begging to get arrested and used as an example by the legal system. Most sideshows happen at night where the crowds can get bigger and the shows can last longer before the law shows up. Also, at night you can at least pretend you have a chance of escaping due to the lack of traffic and poor visibility. As Instagram proves, some people will do literally anything for attention. Minors or not.

ps: The police should not, in my opinion, make too big a deal about age when stopping these things. This isn't only a young person's thing and the people who do the organizing are usually adults. Young adults, but adults. Passing this off as "dangerous activity by underage drivers" makes it sound like some sort of passing stupidity fad like Slenderman or eating Tide Pods. I think when something has been a thing for like 70 years+ it qualifies as a little bit more than a fad enjoyed only by the young and stupid. Seriously, my dad is 72 and he says these things were going on when he was in high school and college. He also grew up here in NorCal.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 17:01 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 15:01:
so you're telling me she scored a 1570 out of 1600? and a perfect score on verbal? holy fuck. i guess i for one welcome our dreyer overlords. or lady in this case.

Even weirder is that she didn't prep or study for it. And she was recovering from a concussion.

One thing I've read about modern education is that language is a grade earlier than when we were kids and math is two grades. So I wonder if learning stuff earlier is part of it.

She says she wants to be a surgeon, so she's on her way, I guess.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 16:55 Burrito of Peace

HOAs: dictating what you can and cannot do on your own property by a group of wizened fucks who desperately wish they could be Nazis.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 16:14 Cutter

So no charcoal but what about wood?

"Best Fire Wood for Cooking - Cooking over firewood has many advantages, whether its in your fire pit or fireplace barbecue cooking wood can add great flavor and aromas to your grilled foods. Again, dense hardwoods are best here.

The fruit woods, like cooking with apple wood, almond wood or cherry wood, are perfect companions to grilled foods. Their sweet smoke aroma complements food beautifully. Oak, being one of the hardest and densest woods, burns hot and long and is definitely a good barbecue cooking wood, but doesn't have as much distinct flavor as the fruit woods. It does impart a strong smoky flavor though.

Some of the strongest smokey flavors come from hardwoods like hickory and mesquite. They can be a great compliment to certain meats and poultry but have a very distinctive aroma. If you don't want their strong signature aromas in your food, stick to the milder fruit woods or oak.

For cooking, avoid softwoods and highly resinous woods like pine or juniper. First of all, they burn quicker and cooler. Secondly, the resinous woods give off very potent resin aromas which are off-putting and don't work with food. Some can even be toxic so avoid these woods!

Some Tips and Facts to Help Choose the Best Fire Wood for You:

Softwoods burn fast and cool, good for starting a fire, but bad for heat and cooking.

Avoid resinous woods, like pine, willow and juniper, for cooking.

Wet wood burns colder than dry wood but burns longer. It is harder to light. Generally avoid wet wood for cooking.

Use "seasoned" firewood because it is dried out completely so that it burns slow and hot and is easier to light.

Heart wood burns hotter than sapwood in general. Sometimes wood is labeled as one or the other.

Wood embers (and charcoal) burns hotter than the fire of the fresh wood itself. Therefore, for maximum heat for cooking, let a bunch of logs burn completely until they are embers before adding food. The embers give off much more heat than the fire itself. You can get coals faster if you use smaller pieces of wood to begin with. More can be added as needed to maintain the heat."

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 15:01 1badmf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 14:40 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:42:
770 Math
Well within the margin of error. Congrats on raising a rocket surgeon!!!
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 10:55:
Shkreli loses appeal, that's upsetting ... not
Well, it's good, yes, but he's one of thousands of greedy CEOs raping the US in particular with drug prices.
It's almost like citizens have no real legal recourse vs corporations or something.
thnx for dragging me back to the real world.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 14:27 jdreyer

Moonlighting: RTX Real-Time Ray Tracing Snaps Apollo 11 Landing Into Focus.

Jeez, Buzz looks 59, not 89!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 14:22 jdreyer

Some of you live in Northern California, did anyone here about this?

Authorities in Sacramento, California arrested a total of seven people while issuing 27 traffic citations in connection to a highway stunting and sideshow event that shut down a major portion of Interstate 5 this past Saturday. For the unfamiliar, sideshows are when a group of people halts traffic on a roadway so they can perform various vehicular shenanigans like burnouts and donuts, the commutes and general safety of bystanders be damned.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 14:14 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 11:10:
Does that mean girls are better at word problems?

DreyerDaughter much prefers math and science to language arts. Was shocked when latest SAT came back: 770 Math, 800 Language.

from your descriptions it sounds like she also has an eloquent and creative grasp of language =D shouldn't be surprised when she can do it without words of the four letter variety. edit: wait wait, so i took my SAT back in the 90s when it was still on the 1600 point scale, but now is it still the 2400 pt scale? so are those numbers good or bad?

They went back to the 1600 point scale a few years ago. My own score was several hundred points lower, so not sure where she gets it...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 14:13 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:52:
Toys R Us never closed in canada, it's still the best place to take your kids shopping for a toy.. Place was magical when I was younger and it's awesome to share the experience with your kids.

They just had the problem of way too many stores..

They also had an Amazon problem...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 13:56 1badmf

DreyerDaughter much prefers math and science to language arts. Was shocked when latest SAT came back: 770 Math, 800 Language.

from your descriptions it sounds like she also has an eloquent and creative grasp of language =D shouldn't be surprised when she can do it without words of the four letter variety. edit: wait wait, so i took my SAT back in the 90s when it was still on the 1600 point scale, but now is it still the 2400 pt scale? so are those numbers good or bad?

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2019, 14:07.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 13:54 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 13:28:

Well, it's good, yes, but he's one of thousands of greedy CEOs raping the US in particular with drug prices. One could say he was an obvious scapegoat/distraction, if they were a little paranoid/tin foil hatted. The rest of them quietly just raise the price of vital drugs by 10,000% and nothing happens.

It's almost like citizens have no real legal recourse vs corporations or something.

It's almost as if we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 13:52 Tipsy McStagger

Toys R Us never closed in canada, it's still the best place to take your kids shopping for a toy.. Place was magical when I was younger and it's awesome to share the experience with your kids.

They just had the problem of way too many stores..

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 13:42 jdreyer

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2019, 13:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, it's good, yes, but he's one of thousands of greedy CEOs raping the US in particular with drug prices. One could say he was an obvious scapegoat/distraction, if they were a little paranoid/tin foil hatted. The rest of them quietly just raise the price of vital drugs by 10,000% and nothing happens.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo