Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks

A new video from Tyler McVicker takes a look at some Source 2 engine information gleaned from a new low-level update for Dota 2. Tyler thinks this points to a new project called Citadel that was referenced briefly in previous code snippets. While Tyler says "I'm not going to be doing the normal Valve News Network thing. There isn't enough to go off of here. And I'm not going to be throwing up baseless speculation on what this game could be. However, it needs to be stressed, this is a separate project in Source 2. The only other projects that exist are Dota 2, HLVR, and Left 4 Dead 3. Citadel is a new part of this list." That said, he caps off the video with some post-credits speculation that Citadel is a stealth game based on a cancelled Nintendo Switch RTS game called Half-Life Tactics. But we digress. He also makes the case that the VR project Valve is working on is Half-Life VR. Here's more:

Now, at the same time that we found this new reference to Citadel, we have more stuff in relation to HLVR, and this game *has* to be under crunch time. Because I have it on *very* good authority that the Half-Life game that Valve has been developing for at least three years is the flagship VR game that Gabe Newell has doubled down on a few times. Both at the Index press launch party, and through email directly from community members.
But this needs to be stressed: HLVR is very heavily in development, and we've known about it for at least three years. That has been confirmed through anonymous sources directly to me, and I know a lot of you are sick of hearing about "anonymous sources," but it has been confirmed to me that the flagship VR title is the Half-Life game, and now we have this completely different game, codenamed Citadel, that has a lot of things related to stealth, AI pathfinding, and a top view minimap.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 13:56 theglaze

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 11:34:
theglaze wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 10:03:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 09:48:
Really, I think you need to explain what you think "affordable" means.

No, an explanation is not required.

It's called Product Life Cycle, and the vast majority of people don't want to pay the premium price that comes with being an early adopter.

No one is wrong or at fault, it's simply the nature of technology+capitalism+marketing intertwined with consumer desire.

I suppose. Like my initial post says, though, those SAME people will be crying about the game not being available for non-VR. At this point, that "premium price" has come down a long, LONG way. Sure, the latest and greatest hardware is pricey; that's the way things go. But VR is now like 1/4 the cost to get into that it initially was.

Actually it's not the VR headset that's revolutionary with the Index eco system. It's the new Index controllers that detect grip pressure, the player can also 'let go', and it detects finger movement so hand gestures are represented within the game.

The Index controllers are the game changer; that's why a 2D variant won't "work" because Valve potentially has built the entire puzzle gameplay around completely different input that cannot be ported to kb+m or joypad without seriously compromising the content.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 11:34 HoSpanky

theglaze wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 10:03:

It's called Product Life Cycle, and the vast majority of people don't want to pay the premium price that comes with being an early adopter.

No one is wrong or at fault, it's simply the nature of technology+capitalism+marketing intertwined with consumer desire.

I suppose. Like my initial post says, though, those SAME people will be crying about the game not being available for non-VR. At this point, that "premium price" has come down a long, LONG way. Sure, the latest and greatest hardware is pricey; that's the way things go. But VR is now like 1/4 the cost to get into that it initially was.

16. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 10:03 theglaze

15. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 09:48 HoSpanky

Quinn wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 09:24:
Zero interest in VR until it becomes affordable to have >80 fps performance with it. Literally zero.

Is a GTX 1060 "not affordable"? Most VR games run just fine on them. Sure, there's a few that push too hard, but they usually have a settings slider like anything else. The catch is that VR headsets are getting higher and higher resolution, pushing the basic needs higher as well. at the low end of the spectrum, VR is totally affordable. WMR headsets can be found around $200. A midrange video card is all that's needed to run them.

14. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 09:24 Quinn

Zero interest in VR until it becomes affordable to have >80 fps performance with it. Literally zero.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

13. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 09:05 theglaze

Great... now the waiting list for Valve Index is going to exponentially increase... and it's still not available for pre-order in Canada  

12. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 09:02 aka_STEVE

Farmed out to some 3rd world country ,& by some 3rd party Chinese firm.  

11. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 06:20 Wesp5

MeanJim wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 23:59:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 22:33:
Gabe has said that he has no interest in doing an HL3 unless it's revolutionary in some way.

Valve releasing anything with a 3 in it would be revolutionary.

Indeed! Maybe the Epic Store is giving them a hint that their Steam monopoly won't automatically last forever...

10. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 05:09 Spektr

I wonder if Valve has been looking at Steam lately. There's already a game called Citadel on it. Have they been living on a tropical island sipping coconut juice all day?  

9. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 01:48 jdreyer

Task wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 23:21:
gfunk wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 22:32:
speculating this is why half life 3 is taking so long, because they are designing it to be played exclusively? with Index VR

Exclusive though? That would be a pretty high price tag just to play an a hypothetical HL3.

It definitely will not be an Index exclusive. There's too much previous gen hardware out there to ignore. That said, it probably will include some Index only features.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 00:35 [VG]Reagle

Gabey baby must be powering down the donuts by the trillions...  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

7. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 23:59 MeanJim

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 22:33:
Gabe has said that he has no interest in doing an HL3 unless it's revolutionary in some way.

Valve releasing anything with a 3 in it would be revolutionary.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 23:21 Task

speculating this is why half life 3 is taking so long, because they are designing it to be played exclusively? with Index VR

Exclusive though? That would be a pretty high price tag just to play an a hypothetical HL3.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

5. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 22:42 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 22:24:
I'm going to guess that it is Half-Life 1 and 2 VR editions or something like that.

While that WOULD be the easy way, I think the Index is something Valve doesnít want to have sliding into the dustbin next to the Steam Machines, Steam controller and Steam Link. Looking at The Lab, Valve had an iron grip on what makes VR great, right from the beginning. The range you fight at in the first two HL games is too far to be functional in VR, and ranged isnít where VR shines. Itís best when itís up close, where you interact with your hands.
Thatís on top of the eye rolls theyíd get for just pushing their old content out the door and claiming itís worthwhile because now itís in VR, especially if they asked for ANY money for it.

It might not actually be HLVR. It might be. Boneworks, which is apparently ground breaking in terms of how it works, has a deal with Valve. Thatís ignoring how half-lifey Boneworks looks.

If it IS HLVR, thereís gonna be a HUGE amount of crying from people who donít want to buy VR. There will be an unprecedented number of threads and petitions to ďmake it work on normal monitors tooĒ, from idiots who donít understand why the best VR games canít convert over. Itís not the headset, itís the controllers. THEY make VR amazing JUST as much as the headset does. Itís been four years since VR showed up, and people still canít get that through their heads.

Honestly? It wonít matter WHAT they put out for VR. If itís awesome, people will cry about it being for VR and not for monitors. They already do for ANY mildly successful VR game. Gonna be an interesting week when they announce...whatever it is.

4. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 22:33 Sepharo

edit:
6+ years earlier
Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 00:55:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 19:18:
They're not releasing HL3 until it has something revolutionary in it... You should be cheering them on in their VR and other peripheral pursuits if you want to see HL3 sooner.
I don't think those 2 things have anything to do with each other.

3. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 22:32 gfunk

2. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 18, 2019, 22:24 Task

I'm going to guess that it is Half-Life 1 and 2 VR editions or something like that.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

1. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games! Jul 18, 2019, 21:02 RedEye9

Oh gosh, hope they're episodic. Wink  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo