Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 17:47 jdreyer

Wut Verno sed. Thanks, Verno.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 14:05 Verno

Timmeh wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 13:08:
We either have a free and open society or we dont.

I vote for free and open.

Free and open means free from oppression from government, not "Say whatever you want without any consequences" or "profit off something that is literally damaging society". These types of idiotic movements are causing real world problems and should not be given a platform to recruit and advocate. Youtube shares responsibility both morally and financially, many (if not most) of these videos are heavily monetized. Youtube and Facebook make a lot of fucking money peddling clickbait and conspiracy bullshit.

When the village idiot said that he believed the moon was made of cheese he didn't have a worldwide reach, the ability to earn income from his stupidity and a huge pool of morons to recruit and grow. And don't tell me this shit is harmless, look at the measles outbreaks as proof of this nonsense coming full circle. People being not only allowed but encouraged to actively suspend their critical thinking and trust in pillars of our society is not a fucking good thing.

Maybe you don't want government involved and fair enough but at some level these platforms need to accept responsibility and either being responsible stewards or pay for the damage they're doing.

Playing: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Spider-Man, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: The Expanse, Three Kingdoms, The Curse of La Llorona

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 14:03 jdreyer

Nimh wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 13:56:
Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 12:07:
I don't know how much responsibility Youtube has in this. It's not like they're responsible for people being stupid. And unfortunately there's no law against pandering to them. If there was we'd be free of the Kardashians, "Reality" TV, etc.

Youtube's primary goal (as defined by Youtube) is retaining and increasing site views. The "up next" algorithm is painstakingly crafted to meet that end. It pushes click-bait, controversy, You wouldn't believe..., anything internet rubbernecking related.

In the real world conspiracy stories go die on a tabloid shelf somewhere. In the digital world this stuff is content gold for social media companies trying to attract attention.

YouTube specifically because of their algorithms, but also the internet in general has allowed these communities to connect and flourish. In the past, you might believe in a conspiracy, but never meet another person that held the same view.

Lastly, Minecraft has had a huge influence. See my sig.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 13:56 Nimh

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 12:07:
I don't know how much responsibility Youtube has in this. It's not like they're responsible for people being stupid. And unfortunately there's no law against pandering to them. If there was we'd be free of the Kardashians, "Reality" TV, etc.

Youtube's primary goal (as defined by Youtube) is retaining and increasing site views. The "up next" algorithm is painstakingly crafted to meet that end. It pushes click-bait, controversy, You wouldn't believe..., anything internet rubbernecking related.

In the real world conspiracy stories go die on a tabloid shelf somewhere. In the digital world this stuff is content gold for social media companies trying to attract attention.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 13:08 Timmeh

We either have a free and open society or we dont.

I vote for free and open.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2019, 12:07 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo