Out of the Blue

One of the things that really appealed to us about our new condo when we first saw it was a view of a pond from the back deck and patio. By the time we moved in, however, spring had sprung, and a lot of the view was blocked by foliage that had grown in. You could still see part of the pond, and it was all quite lovely and serene, so we weren't upset about it. But we weren't upset either when a crew showed up three days later and started clearing things out. As I watched them work I commented to MrsBlue that this seemed like more than just an annual spruce up, as some of the bushes and overgrowth they pulled out had stems (trunks?) that were as thick as an arm. Sure enough we later learned that this was the first time they undertook such a clearing in around 15 years, so we benefited from some extremely good timing. By the time they were done, we had an almost completely unobstructed view. There was an oddity, though, as they cut the stems of a lot of vines that were running up our tree, but left the vines themselves in place. As you'd expect, these quickly withered and died from being cut, which resulted in a bigger eyesore than they were when they were alive. We convinced someone that this should be addressed, and yesterday they came back for more extreme defoliation, going at parts of this all with chainsaws. This was pretty extreme, and resulted in an even more dramatic improvement in our sightlines. We now can see almost the entire pond, perfect for watching the ducks and geese when they swim there. This is a wonderful bit of nature right in our own backyard, and we feel extremely lucky about how this all is turning out.

Natural Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Island Survival Simulator.
Links: American Green. Thanks Digg.
Stories: The Owners of a Brewery Put a Crashed Airplane on Display in Their New Portland Pub. Then the Air Force Came Looking for It.
Widespread, oppressive and dangerous heat to roast much of the U.S. through the weekend.
Game of Thrones showrunners drop out of SDCC panel at the last minute due to “scheduling conflicts.” No time scheduled for being reamed.
Science: Autism largely caused by genetics, not environment, study finds. Thanks Acleacius.
Zombifying fungus bypasses the brain to make ants its puppets, study finds.
Media: The ACTUAL Computer from the Saturn V Rocket. Thanks Hypothermia.
When games get caught in a loop.
Rick And Morty Season 4 Details Revealed.
Follow-up: DRC Ebola epidemic is international emergency, says WHO. Thanks RedEye9.
Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than people knew. This is how it was saved. Thanks Max.
"Westworld" Eases Up On Twists For Season 3.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 18, 2019, 19:33
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 19:33
Jul 18, 2019, 19:33

Notre-Dame article was eye opening. Thanks Max
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Jul 18, 2019, 19:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 19:19
Jul 18, 2019, 19:19

Now you need a water dog to go with the pond.
Neutronbeam

Jul 18, 2019, 17:52
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 17:52
Jul 18, 2019, 17:52

The problem with geese is that those fuckers will attack you for no reason. They are hideously foul-tempered. The shitting everywhere is annoying (especially after they eat blackberries etc. and shit all over your car), but it's the aggressiveness that makes people want to get rid of them at all costs.

If they do attack you, kick 'em in the beak, they tend to slither away pretty quickly after that.

Jul 18, 2019, 16:47
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 16:47
Jul 18, 2019, 16:47

panbient wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 11:50:
Lucky.

Until you find out just how much geese poop.

Everywhere.

Actually I was already aware of this from my younger days at summer camp.

The geese here now are those who remain after what is apparently an annual "roundup" of them. I asked the guy who told me this if they relocated them or executed them after the roundup and his response was "don't know, don't care." It's hard for me to imagine they're so bothersome that I'd rather them be dead, but I'm pretty extreme in my desire to coexist with critters.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jul 18, 2019, 15:29
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 15:29
Jul 18, 2019, 15:29

Trade you jd, it's raining here constantly and the wind won't go away (it's normally in the 100s, right now its barely 80... wind is hitting 30 mph).

Jul 18, 2019, 14:16
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 14:16
Jul 18, 2019, 14:16

Widespread, oppressive and dangerous heat to roast much of the U.S. through the weekend.

The coal fired plant near me produces plenty of power so I'ma crank the A/C to max. Then I'ma hop I'm my Hummer and drive the 100 miles to this great brewpub, and fill up a couple growlers of beer.

Problem, planet savers?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 18, 2019, 13:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 13:46
Jul 18, 2019, 13:46

That's awesome Blue.
Um .. Behind you...

Jul 18, 2019, 12:12
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 12:12
Jul 18, 2019, 12:12

SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE - DUCKTALES
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jul 18, 2019, 11:50
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2019, 11:50
Jul 18, 2019, 11:50

Lucky.

Until you find out just how much geese poop.

Everywhere.

Game of Thrones showrunners drop out of SDCC panel at the last minute due to “scheduling confli
Jul 18, 2019, 11:45
Game of Thrones showrunners drop out of SDCC panel at the last minute due to “scheduling confli Jul 18, 2019, 11:45
Jul 18, 2019, 11:45

"No time scheduled for being reamed."

Most of the cast won't be there either... Even they know the last season was rubbish and nobody wants to take a face full of ripe tomatoes. xD
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older