Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Happy Prime Day, an annual celebration of the primacy of Amazon. For those donning a pith helmet to explore the Amazon today, good luck, and keep a watchful eye out for jaguars, anacondas, and, of course, poison dart frogs. Also, thanks in advance if you happen to do any shopping after visiting through one of our affiliate links, as this will help line my pockets as well as Jeff Bezos'.

R.I.P.: Computer password inventor dies aged 93.

Prime Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Four kids, ages 10 to 14, steal parent's car and go on a nearly 600-mile road trip.
Ebola in DR Congo- Case confirmed in Goma.
Science: There’s a slight problem with Russia’s proposed Federation spacecraft.
Media: Apex Legends in the 1980s.
Balloon Brain Teaser. Thanks Hypothermia.
720 Ton Dragline Excavator Rescue From Island.
Man Pranks People Who Want To Charge Their Phones With A Sticker.
Follow-up: American Airlines extends Boeing plane flight cancellations.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2019, 10:58 Nimh

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 16:23:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:23:
Thanks for all the advice, gents!

Check out AMD's Freesync List. You can filter the hell out of it for what you want specifcally. Really handy tool. Shows lots of great VA monitors 30"plus for a lot cheaper than the ones you linked.

Appreciate it, but I don't have an AMD card, so Freesync doesn't do me much good?

Nvidia supports freesync now as 1badmf mentioned, some monitors better than others, so verify before you buy.

I picked up a Benq EX3501R a few months ago. It's been perfect for my needs and light gaming. I have a dual monitor setup at work and I'll probably never choose that again if an ultrawide is available as an option. Freesync has worked perfectly so far with my GTX 1080.

Everyone has a heart, and it’s calling for something. And we’re all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 20:56 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 16:23:

Check out AMD's Freesync List. You can filter the hell out of it for what you want specifcally. Really handy tool. Shows lots of great VA monitors 30"plus for a lot cheaper than the ones you linked.

Appreciate it, but I don't have an AMD card, so Freesync doesn't do me much good?

Ahh I thought you were going to be going that route. I imagine Nvidia must have something similar.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

20. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 20:34 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:23:
1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 14:36:
a ton? that's news to me. i would think most AAA titles do. i know AC:O did, as do the tomb raider games. also they are millions and even battletech did. also arma3 if that's your cup of tea, and i'm sure most driviing/flight sims. i don't doubt there's games that dont but i think it's safe to say there's enough market saturation for ultrawide monitors that support will only go up as time passes.

Probably a lot of older games don't support ultrawide. That said, won't they just display with black bars?

most likely, though also likely at least a few games will displayed stretched i think. i'm not a code monkey so i don't know the black magic behind it, but i'd guess it depends on whether it was coded to fill the screen or not.

oh, also freesync does do you good even though you're team green. nvidia enabled freesync support earlier this year in a driver upgrade. they have their own curated list called 'gsync compatible' that's like, super short but you can manually enable it in NCP. this only works for geforce 10xx and later though.

here's and article about it. if you can, i would see if there's a functional freesync version of your preferred monitor. it'll be noticeably cheaper since freesync is a free standard whereas nvidia charges OEMs to install a gsync module in their monitors. i saved like $200 on mine cuz i found the freesync version instead of gsync.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2019, 20:52.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 16:23 Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 15:48 Cutter

Omg funniest thing ever. Was at the hardware store getting some stuff when a mom and her son were there picking out door handles and knobs for shelves and stuff. Kid is 5 or 6 maybe? And he says 'Mama can I have a sporting one?', looking at the little football, basketball, etc. knobs, and then he says, 'This one?' Holding up a little baseball knob. To which his mother replied, 'Oh baby, baseball isn't a real sport.' I lol'd hard right there. Then she looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and said, 'Well, it isn't.' I just nodded my agreement and walked away laughing.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 15:45 Cutter

16. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 15:23 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 14:36:
a ton? that's news to me. i would think most AAA titles do. i know AC:O did, as do the tomb raider games. also they are millions and even battletech did. also arma3 if that's your cup of tea, and i'm sure most driviing/flight sims. i don't doubt there's games that dont but i think it's safe to say there's enough market saturation for ultrawide monitors that support will only go up as time passes.

Probably a lot of older games don't support ultrawide. That said, won't they just display with black bars?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 15:23 Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 15:19 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 14:24:
MAD Magazine will reportedly conclude its 67-year run in the coming weeks.

Will be collecting Social Security.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 14:36 1badmf

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 14:35 RedEye9

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/201485/out-of-the-blue  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 14:24 Kxmode

MAD Magazine will reportedly conclude its 67-year run in the coming weeks.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 14:02 Hoop

Here's hoping he has to re-enter a password to enter heaven only his e-mail has changed & the security question makes absolutely no sense.

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 13:50 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 12:51:
with the acer you should select the 21:9 ultrawide option. costs about the same as the aienware.

i highly recommend a 1440p ultrawide. gaming and movies are better since they use the full width of the screen. productivity is a lot more viable since the width is more conducive to side by side multitasking. only downside is watching videos that aren't native 21:9. you'll have black bars on the sides.

i personally have a 34" lg with a 3800r curve. at this size the curve makes a difference, though i wouldn't recommend anything with a deeper curve. for reference, the number is the radius of the circle the screen would make if it completed a circle, so a smaller number = a smaller circle = a deeper curve.

the alienware is a 1900r curve which i feel is too deep. any kid of off center viewing will probably be annoying, but i've never owned a 1900r monitor so i can't say for sure.

i prefer VA panels to IPS myself. i've owned both and VA panels have noticeably deeper blacks. people say IPS has superior viewing angles, but i see zero difference.

based on my own google-fu i'd be eyeballing this guy. 35"/VA panel/gsync/120 hz/cheaper than your options even!

if that's not to your liking, a bunch of monitors are discounted for prime day right now so shop till you drop!

Big issue with that advice is that a TON of games do NOT support 21:9, even big titles. If you don't pick in the normal 16:9 ratio you will always have issues, sometimes fixable, and sometimes hugely annoying, like if you wanted to play Stellaris on that monitor of yours

Of course your favorite games might just happen to support it. But considering how often I see "does not support 21:9" in steam reviews...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 13:37 Mr. Tact

Great.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 13:30 RedEye9

On monitors just be aware of the 2 types of gsync (Gsync vs gsync compatible and what they mean) and that's not getting into G-Sync Ultimate, although the article does cover it.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2019, 13:18 Mr. Tact

I've had two 24" Dell monitors for approaching two decades now and every time I consider going to either a 32" replacement (or maybe two 27" replacements) and I go read reviews articles my eyes glass over...

I'll probably take the leap someday, but I doubt I'll be "sure" when I do it...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 13:07 Watter

I'm certainly no guru, but here's one man's experience.

I had been using Dell business class IPS monitors for years and years; first a 24" 16:10 ratio and then a 30" 16:10. I LOVED these monitors. When I finally decided to upgrade I hesitantly went with an Agon AG352UCG G-Sync monitor. It uses the same panel as a number of other 35" ultrawide MVA monitors with a resolution of 3440x1440.

I say "hesitantly" above because I was VERY unsure about stepping away from my beloved IPS panels and into something that was potentially not as good. All I can say is that I have been happy in every single way with the decision. I use the monitor for 95% business as opposed to gaming despite having actually bought it for gaming purposes. The colors, clarity, and precision are all everything I could have hoped for.

Monitors are subjective and I know some of the reviews of MVA panels mention various uniforminty issues, etc. I'm either not as sensitive to those problems or they don't exist in my unit as to me it seems perfect from one end to the other. I'd have no problem recommending one of the several monitors using this panel. I'm typing this message on it right now and it prompted me to re-examine the angles and colors. They still look good to me.

For what its' worth I originally powered it with a GTX 970. That was "ok". The G-Sync kept everything playable even with lower framerates, but when I upgraded to a GTX 1080 a few months later it was a marked improvement. I'm no GPU expert but the improvement was actually way more than it should have been given the actual difference in GPU power and I suspect strongly that a big percentage of the difference was actually the higher memory count in the 1080 over the 970. So if that's true, it's a good reason to consider a high memory card, even with a smaller GPU if going for something with 3k or 4k resolution.

4. Max no more Jul 15, 2019, 13:04 RedEye9

Boeing is dropping the Max moniker since it's come to be known as Maximum Deaths.

3. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 12:51 1badmf

with the acer you should select the 21:9 ultrawide option. costs about the same as the aienware.

i highly recommend a 1440p ultrawide. gaming and movies are better since they use the full width of the screen. productivity is a lot more viable since the width is more conducive to side by side multitasking. only downside is watching videos that aren't native 21:9. you'll have black bars on the sides.

i personally have a 34" lg with a 3800r curve. at this size the curve makes a difference, though i wouldn't recommend anything with a deeper curve. for reference, the number is the radius of the circle the screen would make if it completed a circle, so a smaller number = a smaller circle = a deeper curve.

the alienware is a 1900r curve which i feel is too deep. any kid of off center viewing will probably be annoying, but i've never owned a 1900r monitor so i can't say for sure.

i prefer VA panels to IPS myself. i've owned both and VA panels have noticeably deeper blacks. people say IPS has superior viewing angles, but i see zero difference.

based on my own google-fu i'd be eyeballing this guy. 35"/VA panel/gsync/120 hz/cheaper than your options even!

if that's not to your liking, a bunch of monitors are discounted for prime day right now so shop till you drop!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo