Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Epic Games Store Roadmap

The Epic Games Store Roadmap Trello has details on Epic's plans to add new features and functions to their online store (thanks PC Gamer). The list of future updates is divided into near-term and mid-term goals:

Near Term (1 - 3 Months)

• Ubisoft Titles Require Large Installs
  • Brazilian Currency Support
  • Library Improvements
  • Cloud Saves
  • Store Video Hosting
  • Store Page Redesign
  • Improvements to Offline Mode
  • Improved Patch Sizes
  • Player Play Time Tracking
  • Humble Bundle Integration

Mid Term (4 - 6 Months)

• User Reviews
  • Wishlists
  • Newsfeed and Follow Improvements
  • Price Adjusting Bundles
  • Additional Payment Methods
  • Additional Currencies
  • Mod Support for Games
  • Epic Games Overlay

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 19, 2019, 16:11 Kxmode

"
Epic Games first announced the Epic Games Store last December. It followed Valve's reveal of the new "Revenue Share Tiers" system for developers and publishers, which met with some discontent from indie developers in particular. Epic saw the opportunity to disrupt the market with the store and its launcher. In many ways, this was more a marketing move than a properly assessed business tactic. Epic's plan hinged on its decidedly generous revenue split, with everything else playing second fiddle. The company, and its CEO Tim Sweeney, seem to favor the "move fast and break things" approach to business.

Such an approach worked for Google and Facebook, sure. However, it doesn't seem suitable for a digital distribution platform that relies mainly on customers, rather than advertisers and investors. As such, we've seen a lot of discontent from PC gaming consumers over Epic's aggressive strategy of timed-exclusive titles. These often come with short notice, such as the infamous case of Metro Exodus. While most PC gamers will agree that Steam could use some heavyweight competition, many of us aren't satisfied with Epic's service so far.

The Epic Games Store launcher is still virtually the same as when it went live last December. Epic first announced a delay on features back in early May. Based on the current roadmap board on Trello, it doesn't look like it will hit the target for many of its features very soon either. The lack of very basic features such as a shopping cart or a wishlist is baffling. It's odd that a multibillion-dollar company doesn't seem able to deliver simple features in a realistic time frame.

Credit where it's due, though most of us appreciate Epic's generosity toward indie developers in particular. The giveaways of free games are also nice, and one particular game actually drove me to buy a copy on Steam afterward. Still, we can't help but look at the Epic Games Store from the perspective of potential customers. And we have to point out that it's severely lacking in incentives to use it, even at the most basic level. We also have to look at the promises made, and the controversies that surround the development.
"

Source and continue reading

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 17, 2019, 03:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 08:57:
It is a scrolling nightmare.
But I still don't get the "I won't use it without a shopping cart" argument. Has anyone here actually had a time when they wanted to buy multiple products from Epic at one time? Even if you did, how much longer does it take to check out with two products, when everything is two clicks?

It just seems like table stakes for them, sure, but it's so odd to me that it consistently makes the "I won't use EGS without this feature!" list. Of all the features, that feels bottom half to me. Weird to not be there, but 99% of my game transactions are one at a time, and even during the Steam sale, I regularly buy something, then see something 5 minutes later that I want and buy it, then see something 2 minutes later and buy that. It's really not particularly time consuming or frustrating, unlike cloud saves, or a decent layout with proper information.

I can't speak to the Epic Store, but ran into this on the Oculus Store. When Steam runs a sale, I might browse a few pages and stick a bunch of things that look interesting into the cart, then pare it back to a reasonable dollar amount and check out. On the Oculus Store, I buy the thing I was there for and then usually stop before spending any more money because I failed a save against buyer's remorse. And also, I think my mind is just wired to do my browsing and picking, and then pay for it. Spending money and then looking at more stuff doesn't seem to come naturally.

So that's good for me because I have too many games already, but it doesn't seem to help them. From my point of view, I don't know why Oculus even bothers to have themed sales.

On a more practical note, there are anecdotes of cartless storefronts triggering credit card fraud protection on people who do buy more than one thing.

Another missing feature I don't get: Why don't Epic, Uplay, Oculus and the Microsoft Store let me see my games library through the web interface? You really need me to run your app to see that information? How does this help them?

48. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 11:30 Beamer

Dude, store fronts always release in unfinished states.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

47. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 11:12 chickenboo

i hate that now even store fronts release in unfinished states and the company releases patch notes for daily/weekly updates to keep users enticed. "My favorite store is constantly improving just like my favorite game, Fortnite!"

next it will be netflix movies. they release it in quarters as they finish it. nobody has the time these days to watch an ENTIRE movie but they have time for the first 25 minutes of one!

46. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 08:57 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 07:15:
The shopping cart is just an example of their ineptitude and bungling of the launch. Also I'm pretty sure everyone here has purchased more than one game at a time on a sale, not exactly an unheard of scenario on a PC games store. It's basic expected functionality, along with stuff like cloud saves. People rightly expect more from a storefront/client in 2019 than one that launched in 2003 when effectively nothing existed.

Also I feel like the store page itself is an endless scrolling nightmare that desperately needs a redesign but I see thats on their road map too.

It is a scrolling nightmare.
But I still don't get the "I won't use it without a shopping cart" argument. Has anyone here actually had a time when they wanted to buy multiple products from Epic at one time? Even if you did, how much longer does it take to check out with two products, when everything is two clicks?

It just seems like table stakes for them, sure, but it's so odd to me that it consistently makes the "I won't use EGS without this feature!" list. Of all the features, that feels bottom half to me. Weird to not be there, but 99% of my game transactions are one at a time, and even during the Steam sale, I regularly buy something, then see something 5 minutes later that I want and buy it, then see something 2 minutes later and buy that. It's really not particularly time consuming or frustrating, unlike cloud saves, or a decent layout with proper information.

-------------

45. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 07:15 Verno

The shopping cart is just an example of their ineptitude and bungling of the launch. Also I'm pretty sure everyone here has purchased more than one game at a time on a sale, not exactly an unheard of scenario on a PC games store. It's basic expected functionality, along with stuff like cloud saves. People rightly expect more from a storefront/client in 2019 than one that launched in 2003 when effectively nothing existed.

Also I feel like the store page itself is an endless scrolling nightmare that desperately needs a redesign but I see thats on their road map too.

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

44. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 23:04 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 08:56:
Shopping carts are a weird dealbreaker to me. Multiple checkouts aren't really a big issue.

No cloud saves is an enormous issue. No download size previews is an enormous issue.

The lack of a shopping cart isn't an enormous issue but it is an annoyance when you're trying to buy multiple games (as you often would during a big sale). A storefront should aspire to be as friction-less as possible.

43. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 17:38 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:56:
Shopping carts are a weird dealbreaker to me. Multiple checkouts aren't really a big issue.

Hmm, I usually buy my games in bulk, say 20 or 30 at a time. Doesn't everyone buy games like that?
Is there any other way.

The following is satire, if you or a loved one has had an allergic reaction to satire or you think Blue should not link to The Onion then please don't read further w/out seeking qualified and appropriate medical advice.

Did you see how far Valve stock dropped when Epic merely mentioned shopping carts. if I was a steam employee I'd be updating my resume toot suite.

Everything I just wrote was satire.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2019, 18:56.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

42. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 15:56 jdreyer

Hmm, I usually buy my games in bulk, say 20 or 30 at a time. Doesn't everyone buy games like that?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

41. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 12:01 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 11:29:
This roadmap looks very much the same as the roadmap they published three months ago, with the same timeframes on it, so it doesn't appear as if they're making much headway. Maybe they'll just keep reposting the same roadmap every three months.

Is there any way to back up games on EGS yet?

It's a Trello, so it's a living document and technically is the same. You can click on any item and see the history. A lot of the near-term was created in March, with a July launch date. We'll see if anything hits. Only one thing was released in July, the crash fix. A lot actually did move from mid to near, but we'll see when we actually get a release.

-------------

40. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 11:29 Creston

This roadmap looks very much the same as the roadmap they published three months ago, with the same timeframes on it, so it doesn't appear as if they're making much headway. Maybe they'll just keep reposting the same roadmap every three months.

Is there any way to back up games on EGS yet?

39. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 08:56 Beamer

No cloud saves is an enormous issue. No download size previews is an enormous issue.

-------------

38. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 07:24 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:46:
You may want to bone up on people's actual criticisms of EGS. Nobody expected EGS to launch with full feature parity to Steam. However, they did expect it to launch with basic features that are standard to all platforms in 2019. Things like cloud saves, achievements, download size previews and yes, shopping carts.

Satire doesn't really work when you don't understand what you're mocking.

Gonna need boron to put this one out Flamethrower

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

37. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 06:23 Jonjonz

These guys are obviously shooting their wad on exclusive payoffs, everthing else, like this blue sky marketing hype list of storefront bullet points, is all on one un-paid intern "webmaster".  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

36. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 03:23 RedEye9

• Mordhaus wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 02:55:
    RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:03:
    Mordhaus wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 20:23:
    Some people are nutjobs if they think valve has 6mos to live though.
    Sooner if the shopping cart gets finished early. Wink
    You may want to bone up on hyperbole, jokes, satire and Poe's Law.

The thing is, I can never tell if you are joking when you fall all over yourself praising Epic.
    Now you know.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

35. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 02:55 Mordhaus

The thing is, I can never tell if you are joking when you fall all over yourself praising Epic.

34. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 02:22 Ant

Good luck, Epic. They will need a lot to compete against Steam. However, I do support them and others to commpete. However, none of them are at Steam level.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

33. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 00:34 Red886

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:38:
    Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 20:16:
    RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:40:
    New store does not have same features as 20 year old any store.

Fixed.

Yeah... This isn't ground-breaking stuff, the roadmap only proves they neglected some simple due-diligence in their rush to launch this thing.

Coming out 15+ years after your biggest competitor is not an excuse for why your service sucks, it is in fact a huge advantage for you because you don't have to spend all that time figuring out what works through trial and error like they did. There is no need to try and re-invent the wheel here, you should copy what you think others are doing right and leave out or change what you think they're doing wrong.

Epic focused only on a few specific points to the latter, which is why they've been criticized and why they're having to ask for patience and understanding while they implement basic features they forgot to include from the start.

it's not a mistake if it is deliberate.

32. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 21:46 Jerykk

You may want to bone up on people's actual criticisms of EGS. Nobody expected EGS to launch with full feature parity to Steam. However, they did expect it to launch with basic features that are standard to all platforms in 2019. Things like cloud saves, achievements, download size previews and yes, shopping carts.

Satire doesn't really work when you don't understand what you're mocking.

31. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 21:44 rawbelly

Humble integration?

Whatever. I'm all in.

I have so many HB games I can't count. Would be nice to have em all in one place. Y'all do what you want.

It's just video games...

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo