Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Well, we survived our adventure to the DMV, with just a few speed bumps along the way. The reason we were doing this at the office rather than online is because besides changing our address, we were getting "enhanced" licenses. Starting next year standard New York State licenses will no longer be sufficient identification to board an airplane, so this required a visit to present additional IDs. We started out going to one of the bigger nearby offices, but despite its size and the number of people waiting, they only had three windows open. We sat next to a fellow who was looking for the same thing as us who had been there for three hours, so we bailed and made our way back to the smaller office nearer our home. While we were waiting I realize we didn't have our required birth certificates, so I drove home to get them and still got back before our number came up. There were a few additional complications along the way, and at one point MrsBlue blew (blue?) her top, but we worked it out in the end. I don't understand why New York State is not just changing its licensing procedure to match the new federal guidelines, but it's a relief to know our new IDs will overcome this.

IDed Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Trial of Temptation.
Science: Scientists unveil the first-ever image of quantum entanglement.
Is targeting brain inflammation the key to beating Alzheimer's disease?
Media: StarCrafts S7 Ep2 Protossed.
Stentors: Single-Celled Giants.
Follow-up: Prominent anti-vaxxers lose New York court case over religious exemptions.
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 11:32 Cutter

Drath71 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 09:20:
Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 14:58:
They just did away with the enhanced licenses here because no one was using them - and at $40 more for one that's no surprise. If you've already paid $120 for a passport you're just going to use that when traveling anyway.

There's no religious exemptions for lots of stuff - e.g. seatbelts - and they don't kick up a fuss about that. I don't recall anywhere in the Bible where it said, 'Thou shalt not get vaccinated!'. What's their arguement? It's interfering with God's will? How do you interfere with an all powerful deity? Besides these are the same people who claim there's a plan for everything. Well, this is part of the plan in that case so suck it up, buttercup.

The whole vaccination issue is just so weird, but there's always going to be people who hold on to ideas that just don't make sense *cough*flatearth*cough*.
But that's an incredibly small minority, and people shouldn't take that and deliberately apply that to the majority. Doing that is as bad as saying "That muslim/islamist/buddhist/athiest/whatever chopped someone's head off, ALL of them are bad!"

[Edit] Ok, I just did some more research on this, to better educate myself. From what I understand, some object to the original means to create the vaccination, using aborted fetal tissue. Now, my understanding is that fetal tissue is no longer required, but regardless...some maybe doing it because they have issues with its morality, even if it may not apply, but by whose standards?

Also, I'm curious...the flu kills a lot more people than measles. But everyone is fine about getting the flu shot, or not, no worries there. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If some dude jumped up and said no because of religious objections, I suspect suddenly the internet would be aflame and "oh look religious people are idiots".

We're all hypocrites to one degree or another but theirs is just mind-boggling stupid most of the time. I'm not fine with getting a flu shot but my objections are based on the risk of A) negative side effects B) actual risk of getting it C) it being at all effective, which it often is not D) there's a lot of graft issues with big Pharma and flu shots , not anything religious. And ultimately the overwhelming majority of people who die from the flu are the very young and old with compromised immune systems to begin with. Most other vaccinations are much more safe and effective.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 11:22 Cutter

SunnyD wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 21:44:
What's their arguement? It's interfering with God's will? How do you interfere with an all powerful deity?

God: Let there be Marijuana, and THC receptors in your brains for its molecule!

Man: .. uh, that's illegal. Sorry.

Hey, you asked.

~Finis~

The only thing that validates is their selective hypocrisy. They're all "anti-drug" except for booze or what their doctor prescribes, and somehow that's just fine. Rastafarians strike me more as true Xtians.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 10:39 RedEye9

Drath71 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 09:20:

Also, I'm curious...the flu kills a lot more people than measles. But everyone is fine about getting the flu shot, or not, no worries there. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If some dude jumped up and said no because of religious objections, I suspect suddenly the internet would be aflame and "oh look religious people are idiots".
The measles does not kill as many people because the vaccination rate is extremely high and the vaccine itself is very effective.

The same can't be said for the annual flu vaccine.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 09:20 Drath71

They just did away with the enhanced licenses here because no one was using them - and at $40 more for one that's no surprise. If you've already paid $120 for a passport you're just going to use that when traveling anyway.

There's no religious exemptions for lots of stuff - e.g. seatbelts - and they don't kick up a fuss about that. I don't recall anywhere in the Bible where it said, 'Thou shalt not get vaccinated!'. What's their arguement? It's interfering with God's will? How do you interfere with an all powerful deity? Besides these are the same people who claim there's a plan for everything. Well, this is part of the plan in that case so suck it up, buttercup.

The whole vaccination issue is just so weird, but there's always going to be people who hold on to ideas that just don't make sense *cough*flatearth*cough*.
But that's an incredibly small minority, and people shouldn't take that and deliberately apply that to the majority. Doing that is as bad as saying "That muslim/islamist/buddhist/athiest/whatever chopped someone's head off, ALL of them are bad!"

[Edit] Ok, I just did some more research on this, to better educate myself. From what I understand, some object to the original means to create the vaccination, using aborted fetal tissue. Now, my understanding is that fetal tissue is no longer required, but regardless...some maybe doing it because they have issues with its morality, even if it may not apply, but by whose standards?

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2019, 09:34.

14. Re: Burrito Of Piece Jul 14, 2019, 07:38 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 18:14:
@BoP
I've been hearing nasty rumors that some motherboards can do cpu-less bios flashing.
Also referred to as USB BIOS Flashback port.

damnit when do i get my 3700 vs 3800x benchmarks, the e-peen is straining my button fly genes.

Some can, yes, although in practice it isn't a sure thing. You'll obviously have to look at the particular model you are interested to see if it is supported and that it supports output via a dGPU instead of an iGPU.

Sad to say, you are going to have to wait a bit longer. It looks like the end of August is when I am going to be able to acquire a 3700x.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 21:44 SunnyD

What's their arguement? It's interfering with God's will? How do you interfere with an all powerful deity?

God: Let there be Marijuana, and THC receptors in your brains for its molecule!

Man: .. uh, that's illegal. Sorry.

Hey, you asked.

~Finis~

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 18:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 18:06:
What's "Border's?"
That is me having a brain fart, I meant Barnes and Nobles. Although, technically -- Barnes and Nobles is Borders now, since they bought them...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 18:17 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 18:06:
What's "Border's?"
a place multi-yeared people go to windowshop and then order on amazon.

The federal gubment has them placed on the endangered businesses list

edit
oh damn, i didn't know they'd been sold to B&N.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10. Burrito Of Piece Jul 13, 2019, 18:14 RedEye9

@BoP
I've been hearing nasty rumors that some motherboards can do cpu-less bios flashing.
Also referred to as USB BIOS Flashback port.

damnit when do i get my 3700 vs 3800x benchmarks, the e-peen is straining my button fly genes.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 18:06 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 13:58:
Similar situation here in Illinois -- you can either get a "Standard" driver's license which will soon not be sufficient identification for boarding a plane or you can get a "REAL ID" driver's license which is. The REAL ID license requires documentation of your name, date of birth, social security number and residency. There was some concern Illinois wouldn't meet a Federal deadline to provide the REAL ID types of identification, but after a couple of extensions they finally managed to do it.

On a totally separate subject.. anyone care to offer an opinion on the "The Lost Fleet" series written by John G. Hemry under the pen name Jack Campbell? Noticed it in Border's today. (never seen that surname before, despite it being that way in Wikipedia, it still looks like a typo)

What's "Border's?"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 17:35 JZ Temple

Here in Florida those Enhanced licenses have been in effect for at least about eight years, because back in 2011 when I had to renew my license I had to bring several documents to the DMV and get my Enhanced license. With the usual eight year expiration period that should mean that pretty much everyone should have one now, as I don't believe there are allowed exceptions, although I could be wrong. It's not a big deal, or wasn't for us, our local DMV is set up pretty well and except for the occasional grumpy clerk it functions pretty well.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 16:20 RedEye9

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 16:12 Jivaro

In California I think they are calling it a "Real" ID and they are implementing it a little slower. We can still use our old IDs unless very specific things happen. For example, flying requires the new ID if you don't have your passport. I think the short version is that from nowish on if you have to prove who you are to a federal employee you have to have the new ID or your passport, otherwise proceed as normal. There is a deadline for some people, I don't remember why off the top of my head. I think they are folks that tried to get a Real ID early on and the state actually screwed them all up somehow and they all have to be reissued. I believe those "early adopters" all earned the privilege of going through the process all over again ASAP.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 14:58 Cutter

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 13:58 Mr. Tact

Similar situation here in Illinois -- you can either get a "Standard" driver's license which will soon not be sufficient identification for boarding a plane or you can get a "REAL ID" driver's license which is. The REAL ID license requires documentation of your name, date of birth, social security number and residency. There was some concern Illinois wouldn't meet a Federal deadline to provide the REAL ID types of identification, but after a couple of extensions they finally managed to do it.

On a totally separate subject.. anyone care to offer an opinion on the "The Lost Fleet" series written by John G. Hemry under the pen name Jack Campbell? Noticed it in Border's today. (never seen that surname before, despite it being that way in Wikipedia, it still looks like a typo)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 13:24 RedEye9

Capella wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 13:15:
Damn never heard of an "Enhanced" license. Is this the start of the National ID card?
One ring I.D. to rule them all.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 13:15 Capella

Damn never heard of an "Enhanced" license. Is this the start of the National ID card?  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2019, 13:09 RedEye9

Vaccines are rapidly becoming this centuries roe v wade.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >