Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is an updated version of inXile's RPG sequel that's coming to Windows, Linux, macOS, on August 27th and to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th. This trailer celebrates the announcement of these launch dates, and this page has the details on what distinguishes this from the standard edition of the game:

Hidden in the shadows, an evil has waited patiently. Until now. Who will face the darkness if not you? A heroic adventure featuring 50+ hours of gameplay, 350 speaking parts, a Legacy Mode for returning fans, and over 100 pieces of incredible music!

Customize How You Play
Define the way you play, using sliders on numerous options such as saving (including “save anywhere”), the mini-map, waypoint markers and many more. Whether you seek a hardcore challenge, a lighter experience, or something in-between, the choice is yours.

Create the Hero You Want To Be
Play as Bard, Fighter, Practitioner, and Rogue, each featuring 60-70 skills and collectively unlocking 21 unique classes. Build an array of characters to make every playthrough a unique experience.

Craft your Party, Your Way
Start your party with a single character, recruiting or creating new heroes to bolster your ranks. Build a party that suits your play style!

An Adventure Around Every Corner
Explore towns full of quest givers, fight your way through dark and deadly dungeons, and navigate beautiful rolling hills, dense forests, ancient tombs, and icy wastes.

Outsmart Evil
Battle your enemies in dynamic, intuitive turn-based tactical combat, that rewards clever thinking. Use superior strategies, thoughtful positioning, and deadly combos to bring down your foes!

Unlock the Secrets of the Past
Unravel challenging mysteries. If your enemies don’t get you, the devious riddles and dangerous traps just might.

Elven Puzzle Weapons
The sense of discovery and mystery doesn’t stop with the environment. Gain ancient Elven weapons containing hidden powerful skills which you’ll need to uncover by carefully examining them.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 16, 2019, 17:38 Mullenkamp

MeanJim wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 05:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 08:46:
MeanJim wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 08:05:
I kind of felt shafted after going in for the physical collectors edition and only getting a standard edition key.

Wow, that's lame but rather typical for inXile. CE backers are scum level lepers to them apparently. It was similar with Torment where CE backers also got the short end of the stick when it came to beta access, their weird reward points system and when it turned out that the retail CE was actually much nicer than the "exclusive" backer CE and so on.

To inXile's credit: I did receive a full refund of my TToN CE pledge a few weeks before the release date when I got fed up with their continuous bullshit.

It's also why I did not back BT4 but got a key on the cheap for €11.39 last November. That seems like a pretty good deal now with the free DC.

They didn't do that on previous projects. I backed Wasteland 2 and TToN at the physical collectors editions and for both of those I got two keys which were for the highest tier of the game (one backer key from the backer site, for which I picked GOG and one Steam key inside the physical box).

I'm sorry but... while this is true it is at the same time false (kinda ;))

I am also a backer, also physical CE - and yes, the Steam key is only the standard edition BUT! everything that is in the Steam Ultimate Edition (or whatever the "best" version is/was) could be downloaded separately through the "backer portal"/website, including a code for the ingame items... I think they moved that now to the CrowdOx site but didn't care to try as I have everything already downloaded. So, yes, it's the standard edition but you still should have all the additional stuff.

After the Torment physical CE debacle I cannot complain about IXE this time... (we will see how the WL3 thing will end %))

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 14, 2019, 05:46 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 08:46:
I kind of felt shafted after going in for the physical collectors edition and only getting a standard edition key.

Wow, that's lame but rather typical for inXile. CE backers are scum level lepers to them apparently. It was similar with Torment where CE backers also got the short end of the stick when it came to beta access, their weird reward points system and when it turned out that the retail CE was actually much nicer than the "exclusive" backer CE and so on.

To inXile's credit: I did receive a full refund of my TToN CE pledge a few weeks before the release date when I got fed up with their continuous bullshit.

It's also why I did not back BT4 but got a key on the cheap for €11.39 last November. That seems like a pretty good deal now with the free DC.

They didn't do that on previous projects. I backed Wasteland 2 and TToN at the physical collectors editions and for both of those I got two keys which were for the highest tier of the game (one backer key from the backer site, for which I picked GOG and one Steam key inside the physical box).

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 21:51 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 11:43:
GinRummy wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 22:53:
I played the initial release, which had some bugs and fewer features than this update, but had a TON of FUN playing it. Combat is kinda weird with the grid layout, but once you get used to it, it's very strategic and handy.

Agreed--this game is highly original and makes great use of music--the old Irish chants and songs really set the mood. I was 76 hours in when I got word of the DC, so I reluctantly put it down until then. Of course, that was before they dropped the ball on the updates. The original was merely supposed to be BT4 2.0; to be shipped end of '18. Then it was "early 2019"; then in early '19 we got the news it had changed to the DC and would ship in June--last month--whereupon we got the news that it would ship "end of summer 2019"...which was less than awe-inspiring, as you might guess. And then we finally got a drop-dead date, of August 28! Whew...;) But according to the update video inXile has published (see link) the game will have, thousands of bug fixes, new characters (?), at least four hours of additional gameplay, a Bard Song to allow the brain-malformed among us to skip the puzzles, improved graphics and a brand new engine--so I will definitely replay on Aug 28th (fingers crossed)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npsZhJU1ps&feature=youtu.be

Greatly reduce puzzles if you want, much more and better balanced weapons. A little over 1/2 way you had all the best weapons and there was nothing to buy and all the gold in the world. Also the puzzle weapons are supposed to be a lot better, they were bested routinely by weapons you buy. Yes a very unique game that just needed a lot more time in the balance and bug dept, the design was solid.

15. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 17:39 GothicWizard

I was a backer. And I was really looking forward to this. But after 30 mins I was actually bored with it. It had none of the magic of the original that I recalled. Some of the textures were low res and the combat was too jarring IMO. I loved Wasteland 2 but for me this game was a miss sadly. I am glad however others find it more enjoyable, just wasn't my thing.  

14. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 11:43 WaltC

GinRummy wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 22:53:
I played the initial release, which had some bugs and fewer features than this update, but had a TON of FUN playing it. Combat is kinda weird with the grid layout, but once you get used to it, it's very strategic and handy.

Agreed--this game is highly original and makes great use of music--the old Irish chants and songs really set the mood. I was 76 hours in when I got word of the DC, so I reluctantly put it down until then. Of course, that was before they dropped the ball on the updates. The original was merely supposed to be BT4 2.0; to be shipped end of '18. Then it was "early 2019"; then in early '19 we got the news it had changed to the DC and would ship in June--last month--whereupon we got the news that it would ship "end of summer 2019"...which was less than awe-inspiring, as you might guess. And then we finally got a drop-dead date, of August 28! Whew...;) But according to the update video inXile has published (see link) the game will have, thousands of bug fixes, new characters (?), at least four hours of additional gameplay, a Bard Song to allow the brain-malformed among us to skip the puzzles, improved graphics and a brand new engine--so I will definitely replay on Aug 28th (fingers crossed)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npsZhJU1ps&feature=youtu.be

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

13. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 08:46 CJ_Parker

12. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 08:05 MeanJim

El Pit wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 01:35:
If you already own the game on PC when the Director’s Cut arrives, you’ll receive the update for free with the game’s release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut. For the digital Director’s Cut we’re making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director’s Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition.

Straight from the kickstarter mail I received as a backer of this game.

There's also this:
For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts.

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 07:34 CJ_Parker

Just checked my Steam account and the DC is already in there next to the regular version. Time to set the original game to 'hidden' since it is obsolete now. The Steam news site for BT4 has quite a few links to articles about the DC so if anyone wants to learn more about the changes it may be a good starting point.  

10. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 06:54 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 01:35:
If you already own the game on PC when the Director’s Cut arrives, you’ll receive the update for free with the game’s release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut. For the digital Director’s Cut we’re making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director’s Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition.

I admit, this..
those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition.

Says pretty clearly what is wrong with the games industry.

Why are there 5 different versions.

9. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 01:35 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 13, 2019, 00:17 JTW

The link lists the features the game has, but doesn't really say what distinguishes it from the original.  

7. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 00:14 Creston

Drayth wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 18:38:
After seeing this in the console news section earlier this morning I followed some links and found somewhere stating that owners on PC of the original will get this as a free upgrade. Having trouble finding where I saw that atm.

PC Gamer reports the same thing. They did the same with Wasteland 2.

<3 inXile. I'm looking forward to playing this once the new edition is available, it looks like a cool game.

6. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 22:53 GinRummy

5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 21:55 SunnyD

Satanic Practitioner Level Up! 2nd Level (2,666 xp):
Lou's Ball 'o Fire ---- "Bring the Light, Baby!"

~Finis~

4. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 20:36 Drayth

Satanism, Cutter!

SATANIC.
RITUALS.

3. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 19:51 Cutter

Practitioner? Well that's vague. Practitioner of what exactly? Couldn't just say wizard, or sorcerer?

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

2. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 19:17 HorrorScope

Drayth wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 18:38:
After seeing this in the console news section earlier this morning I followed some links and found somewhere stating that owners on PC of the original will get this as a free upgrade. Having trouble finding where I saw that atm.

Yeah it is a free update, the original after a few patches was still fun and overall a very good design idea overall. If they hit the marks here, it should be a very solid game.

1. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 12, 2019, 18:38 Drayth

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo