Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month

3D Realms and 1C Entertainment announce that Ion Fury is the new title of the game formerly known as Ion Maiden, and the Early Access version on Steam already reflects the change. This is to avoid a legal battle with heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who objected to the old title. They also reveal August 15th as the official release date for the shooter, which is built upon the old-school Build Engine that powered Duke Nukem 3D and other titles back in the day. PC Release Date Trailer shows how this holds up and the announcement continues this stroll down memory lane:

Ion Maiden, the old-school first-person shooter developed by Voidpoint and published by 3D Realms and 1C Entertainment, will release under a new title to avoid legal issues with a certain popular heavy metal band. Ion Fury fires out of Early Access and 1.0 bursts onto PC August 15, with Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One coming later. To celebrate, PC Big Box-style physical copies are now available for pre-order.

Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison finally has a deadly date on her calendar with Dr. Jadus Heskel and his army of cyber-cultists. With signature weapons including her Loverboy revolver and Bowling Bombs, every cyborg she sees is about four seconds away from being nothing but gibs n’ gore.

Lovingly crafted in Build engine which powered ‘90s classics such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior, Ion Fury fuses nostalgic looks with today’s technology to create the ultimate shooter. Modern features like auto-saves, improved physics and map interactivity, headshots, widescreen functionality and controller support, simply weren’t possible back then, but Ion Fury brings the best of both worlds.

To celebrate the sheer madness of a modern shooter made in the Build engine, Shelly’s getting the Big Box she deserves. This edition includes a Bowling lBomb-shaped USB Drive, a poster, a keycard based on the ones Shelly finds in-game, a making-of booklet, a lanyard, and of course Ion Fury, all for $59.99.

Haven’t played yet, and find that trigger finger is getting itchy? The Digital Only edition of Ion Fury is available now on Steam Early Access in English, for $19.99. As the game has doubled in planned scope since its unveiling, the price will rise to $24.99 one week from today on July 18. Now’s the perfect time to pick it up and start blasting.

“After careful consideration, we’ve decided to rename our first-person-shooter “Ion Maiden” to “Ion Fury,” said Mike Nielsen, CEO of 3D Realms. “A lot of thought went into this, but most importantly it would be a disservice to our loyal fanbase and the fantastic developers, to drag out a long lawsuit. The amazing gameplay, interactivity and pure fun, is what makes Ion Fury a great game. Not the title.”

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 22:43 Xero

Whateva, just bring on the official release. I beat the early access version which was quite sure and made me wonder why I paid 15 bucks for it initially. It wasn't all that what the reviews made it seem.

I'm hoping the content on the official is for realz.

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 11, 2019, 21:48 Heltorne

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 20:22:
Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 13:12:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 12:25:
I don't think they would've lost in court. It doesn't seem much of an infringement to me. Just Iron Maiden's lawyers being dicks.

It's the way the law is structured. If you don't defend your trademark it's presumed you don't really care if you lose it or not. So it's not always that people are being dicks about it because they don't really have a choice if they want to keep their TM.
Not true. Trademarks are only enforced across related industries. Someone could open a restaurant named Led Zeppelin tomorrow and there would be no infringement. There's absolutely no way anyone would confuse a video game with a rock band. This was purely Iron Maiden being dicks.

Even if that's the case, Iron Maiden currently have a video game out so you're saying there's no way people would get Ion Maiden mixed up with Iron Maiden which is of course the same industry. Also, surely you know the actual band members are not the ones that sued right?

13. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 11, 2019, 21:27 Acleacius

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 20:22:
I don't think they would've lost in court. It doesn't seem much of an infringement to me. Just Iron Maiden's lawyers being dicks.

It's the way the law is structured. If you don't defend your trademark it's presumed you don't really care if you lose it or not. So it's not always that people are being dicks about it because they don't really have a choice if they want to keep their TM.
Not true. Trademarks are only enforced across related industries. Someone could open a restaurant named Led Zeppelin tomorrow and there would be no infringement. There's absolutely no way anyone would confuse a video game with a rock band. This was purely Iron Maiden being dicks.
Apparently you haven't met our president. Mwahaha

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 11, 2019, 20:22 Stormsinger

11. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 17:29 Lorcin

Killer Kane wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 12:18:
"The makers of the original 'Iron Maiden Torture Device' formally protest the heavy metal band's use of it's name"

You know they were never real and made up in the 18th century yeah?

10. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 15:34 Riahderymnmaddog

is this a Nick Fury video game, uggg I am so confused now.  

9. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 14:48 ldonyo

Iron Maiden has mobile game, which has been out for several years now. I wouldn't be so sure of a lack of infringement, were I them. The desired free publicity was probably the end goal, anyway.

8. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 14:47 Flo

Loved the early access campaign!  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

7. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 13:47 El Pit

Should have called it Depp Purple, anyways, and get sued by a band and an actor.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

6. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 13:12 Cutter

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

5. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 12:32 Acleacius

They just wanted to avoid the cost of a court battle, since they are probably on a budget. You know they will probably have a joke about this, where she has to kill a band of assholes.  

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

4. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 12:25 Bill Borre

3. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 12:18 Killer Kane

"The makers of the original 'Iron Maiden Torture Device' formally protest the heavy metal band's use of it's name"  

2. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 12:12 GinRummy

Should have added a subtitle to it to really cash in: "Ion Fury: Powerslave."  

1. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 12:01 panbient

Successful publicity stunt was successful.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo