Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Oh thank heaven, it's 7/11. That means today is Slurpee Day, a decidedly commercial publicity stunt that we acknowledge every year because it's clever, and because it involves free Slurpees. The 7-Eleven Website has details on how this works. For all the times I threatened to do so, I've almost never actually collected on this deal, even though for years we lived just a few miles from a 7-Eleven. The nearest one to our new home is much farther, but we're actually planning a trip to our old stomping grounds today to pick up some mail and such, so I have a chance of invoking a bit of irony if we end up going to the store near there. Though we do see a recent story saying there are now over 60,000 7-Elevens in 17 countries, apologies to our friends in other locations where this offer will be difficult or impossible to collect upon. But you only have yourself to blame if you live somewhere too dignified for convenience stores, not to mention where they write the date backwards.

R.I.P.: Willy Wonka star Denise Nickerson who played Violet Beauregarde taken off life support a year after suffering stroke. Thanks Ant.
R.I.P.: Jim Bouton, ex-Yankee and 'Ball Four' author, dies.

Big Gulp of Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Drivers stopped on an Atlanta interstate to grab $175,000 in cash that fell out of an armored truck.
At The T-Rex Races- On Your Mark, Get Set, Rawwrr. Thanks RedEye9.
Taylor Swift named world's highest paid celebrity. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Surgeon Transfers Nerves to Let Paralyzed Patients Use Hands. Thanks Max.
Mysterious illness that paralyzes healthy kids prompts plea from CDC. Thanks RedEye9.
Study links a small glass of juice or soda a day to increased risk of cancer.
Media: Damaged Engine on Delta Flight Sparks Emergency Landing in Raleigh. Thanks Boing Boing.
Cockatoo vs bird deterrent spikes.
Dog Tries to Chase Dust Devil.
Follow-up: How a vaccinated woman's death exposes the threat of anti-vaxxers. Thanks RedEye9.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 17:39 Kxmode

Patrick Stewart posted a poster of Star Trek Picard.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 15:29 RedEye9

Atomic wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 14:28:
That woman dying of measles is sad, but it sounds like that was going to be her future anyway. She was training to become a border patrol agent, so certainly would have been exposed to the un-vaccinated migrants droves.
I don't know where to begin

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 14:28 Capella

That's funny. My wife says that about her buying whole milk. "One bowl of Cheerio's a week won't kill ya!" Gotta say it damn sure tastes better than 2%.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 14:28 Atomic

That woman dying of measles is sad, but it sounds like that was going to be her future anyway. She was training to become a border patrol agent, so certainly would have been exposed to the un-vaccinated migrants droves.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 14:22 HoSpanky

7-11 isn’t a shitshow everywhere. In Japan, they’re actually not bad at all. Always clean and well-stocked.

Our house went on the market today. It’s been a short whirlwind of insanity getting moved to another state and prepping the old place for sale. Luckily it’s all but guaranteed to be worth the headache and effort...I just hope the move was worth it.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 13:44 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 13:04:
Slurpees are poison, although once a year probably won't kill you.

Tasty, tasty poison. The closest one to me is way to far to go for a slurpee. I could use one today. It's 30C and I think it's getting hotter. I'm not even doing a whole lot and I'm sweating my balls off. Humidity is effing high too though. They keep saying thunderstorms are on the way - calling it 90% probability yet there isn't a cloud in the sky at this point.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 13:07 jdreyer

R.I.P.: Willy Wonka star Denise Nickerson who played Violet Beauregarde taken off life support a year after suffering stroke.

At first I thought "she's just a kid!" But I see she's from the '71 version. Still, 62 is too young.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 13:04 jdreyer

Slurpees are poison, although once a year probably won't kill you.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: 175,000 in cash Jul 11, 2019, 12:34 Bill Borre

I bet there's an armored car driver looking for a new job.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2019, 12:11 RedEye9

The Twilight Zone taught us never ever look out the window.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo