Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2019, 17:24 Riahderymnmaddog

WaltC wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 15:28:
Re: 5700's not Crossfiring. OK, the guy who wrote that is all wrong on several levels! The latest 19.7.1 Adrenalins--which specifically support the 5700--support Crossfire all the way back, including dozens of old-game profiles--now in the drivers (where they have been for years--but if you don't have a Crossfire system you cannot see them as they do not appear)--and they are not going anywhere--Crossfire and SLI are pre-d3d12 tech, both of which lay outside of the API--any 3d-game API--and were dependent on 3dfx and then later AMD and nVidia, 100%. D3d12 puts all of that in the past. In the future, AMD and nVidia both will be doing SLI/Crossfire in the D3d12 motif. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, is one recent blockbuster game that does D3d12 multi-GPU perfectly, for instance. Crossfire and SLI are not disappearing--they've simply moved into the API--which I think is a lot better, myself, all of which people who write articles in gaming mags should be aware of, imo. But it is important to note that the driver support for the old multi-GPU games, formerly called Crossfire and SLI, is still very much a part of the AMD drivers--and probably nVidia's drivers, too, although I can't comment on those.

Crossfire/SLI has always been a very niche market. In its "heyday" it was never beyond 4%, and the kicker then was the total user base for 3d-gaming was 7x-10x smaller than it is today! So that 1% today could well equal 7%-10% of that "4%" market, etc. Percentages presented alone rarely tell a complete story, of course. All I can say is that I bought an RX-480 couple of years ago, then bought an RX-590 Christmas, 2018, and it has made a splendid Crossfire rig! Crossfire has come a long way--today you don't have to match frequencies between the cards (Rx-480 runs at 1305Mhz; 590 @ 1600Mhz.) You don't have to reboot to turn X-fire on and off anymore, etc. AMD has made it about as transparent as it can be. To top that off, D3d12 now includes multi-GPU (X-fire or SLI) as already mentioned. I think the writer here jumped the gun. Multi-GPU is about like RAID 0--some do, most don't, but that's always been the case for RAID 0--and Crossfire/SLI...;)

LOL I use both SLI and RAID 0

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2019, 15:28 WaltC

Re: 5700's not Crossfiring. OK, the guy who wrote that is all wrong on several levels! The latest 19.7.1 Adrenalins--which specifically support the 5700--support Crossfire all the way back, including dozens of old-game profiles--now in the drivers (where they have been for years--but if you don't have a Crossfire system you cannot see them as they do not appear)--and they are not going anywhere--Crossfire and SLI are pre-d3d12 tech, both of which lay outside of the API--any 3d-game API--and were dependent on 3dfx and then later AMD and nVidia, 100%. D3d12 puts all of that in the past. In the future, AMD and nVidia both will be doing SLI/Crossfire in the D3d12 motif. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, is one recent blockbuster game that does D3d12 multi-GPU perfectly, for instance. Crossfire and SLI are not disappearing--they've simply moved into the API--which I think is a lot better, myself, all of which people who write articles in gaming mags should be aware of, imo. But it is important to note that the driver support for the old multi-GPU games, formerly called Crossfire and SLI, is still very much a part of the AMD drivers--and probably nVidia's drivers, too, although I can't comment on those.

Crossfire/SLI has always been a very niche market. In its "heyday" it was never beyond 4%, and the kicker then was the total user base for 3d-gaming was 7x-10x smaller than it is today! So that 1% today could well equal 7%-10% of that "4%" market, etc. Percentages presented alone rarely tell a complete story, of course. All I can say is that I bought an RX-480 couple of years ago, then bought an RX-590 Christmas, 2018, and it has made a splendid Crossfire rig! Crossfire has come a long way--today you don't have to match frequencies between the cards (Rx-480 runs at 1305Mhz; 590 @ 1600Mhz.) You don't have to reboot to turn X-fire on and off anymore, etc. AMD has made it about as transparent as it can be. To top that off, D3d12 now includes multi-GPU (X-fire or SLI) as already mentioned. I think the writer here jumped the gun. Multi-GPU is about like RAID 0--some do, most don't, but that's always been the case for RAID 0--and Crossfire/SLI...;)

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

2. Re:AMDís RX 5700 cards ditched CrossFire because less than 1% of gamers care. Jul 10, 2019, 14:43 Riahderymnmaddog

muahhh, I am betting less then .01 of gamers can afford it, clue #1 being that they bought an AMD video card.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2019, 14:02 Creston

15 years from now I'm sure we'll again get another round of SLI/Crossfire, to soon to be followed by Yet Another Attempt at 3D as well.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >