Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway

Valve announces the conclusion of the Steam Grand Prix, saying that to cap off their Steam Summer Sale they will be giving away an additional 5000 games:

CONGRATS, DRIVERS!
A valiant effort was made by all, with Team Corgi in 1st place, Team Tortoise in 2nd place and Team Hare placing in 3rd!

DON'T FORGET TO REDEEM YOUR TOKENS AT THE PIT STOP

THANKS FOR PLAYING

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Grand Prix. We realize that the race track had some unexpected turns – we tried to straighten them out when we could, and we’ll anticipate the curves better next time we invite you to the races.

As an extra gift for those that participated, we have randomly selected 5,000 users that contributed from any team in the Steam Grand Prix to receive the top game from their wishlist. Users that were randomly selected will receive their gift within 48 hours from the end of the Steam Grand Prix.

The Pit Stop remains open through the end of the sale, so be sure to exchange those tokens for the Summer Sale badge, profile backgrounds, and more before July 9th, 10 am PDT.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 10, 2019, 16:48 Drayth

As with everything it's up to them what to do with the data. Developers do have motivation to get their games sold sooner rather than later before other games absorb up hype, or eclipse their own game. A ton of wish lists with no one biting could mean that sweet low low price you're aiming for happening sooner rather than later.

Probably more frequent but less deep sales, but I enjoy the service it provides and video games themselves enough to not worry about something for $14.99 vs $11.99.

Note I don't use it with AAA publisher games however (easy enough to track those anyways). For indie pre-release games it helps show the publisher there's demand for the game, so a tight budgeted one may get more funding, or not axed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 10, 2019, 02:09 CJ_Parker

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:47:
The comments about the wishlist being spyware is just CJ going all-out tinfoil.

Nope.

Valve does not need such a list to make decisions what and how they need to market to their users, they have all the data they need for that from the playtimes of your games, the playtimes of games played by those on your friends list and the games you browse in the store.

Of course Valve doesn't. The wishlists are a tool for the PUBLISHERS, not Valve. The publishers always determine the prices of their products, not Valve.

The wishlist is an invaluable tool given to the publishers by Valve to gauge demand. It is an invaluable market analysis tool that helps them determine price ranges at which most people will bite.

It's really funny and ironic to see the complaints about low discounts this sale. This is only logical. If a publisher can see that 50K people have wishlisted a game then you don't drop the price by 75%. You start carefully with 25% max to see how much of the wishlist gets cleared.

It has nothing to do with "tinfoil". It's factual logic that people using the wishlist are 100% responsible for shitty discounts.

22. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 20:16 jacobvandy

Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:36:
5000 is pretty measly for a 90 million monthly active player base.

Well, you had to have participated in the sale event minigame. I'd be shocked if more than a couple million people actually did that.

It's not really meant to be a freebie for everyone, though, more like a consolation prize for the bunch of salty folks who didn't get any of the 13 thousand free games handed out for the duration of the event. One team totally dominated and received nearly half of them (~45%) while another two teams did okay and received about that many between them, leaving the last two teams to each get about 5%.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2019, 20:43.

21. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 19:42 Saboth

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 13:06:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:30:
It seemed like the weakest deals of any Steam Summer Sales I can recall.

I didn't know it was ending today... I knew I have Kingdom Come on the list for $18. When I went into the cart noticed I got $5 off because of their race thing where I picked Hare last week, who knows why. But it was good for $5 and then for $13.... made the last minute deal. Picked up PoeT2 and Kingmaker. Those three games should be played sometime in 2020 or 2021 and be good for a couple months of game time.

Funny, those are the only two games I bought (starting on Deadfire, first). But I got them from Fanatical since I had coupon codes for 10-15% off.

20. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 18:29 Osc8r

I use the wishlist a lot, i think i've got about 70 games on it... when they go on sale for over 50% i consider buying them. Usually if they are over 70% i often snap them up, sometimes in multiples as gifts.

Think i purchased around 9 games during the sale (closer to 15 purchases), so my backlog of games continues to grow.

I really have no interest in using other stores - and the majority of the games i play are indie games with online co-op, so they often only exist on steam anyway.

Works fine for me.
*shrug*

19. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 17:52 Cutter

I think if there's a company that really doesn't care about the metrics of its users and datamining them it's Valve. Even the hardware surveys are voluntary and they strike me more as general interest than anything nefarious.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 17:30 MeanJim

Saboth wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:13:

No doubt. I did not buy one single game. I bought 2 games from
Fanatical. They had the same prices as the Steam Sale versions, but Fanatical gave me a 10% off and 15% off coupon that I could use.

Don't think there's ever been a steam sale where I didn't buy a game.I used to spend $50 or $100+, but that's back when you'd get 75, 80, 90% off most games.

I'm still used to waiting until the last day to make Steam sale purchases. I checked my waitlist on ITAD last night and only bought two $2 games. The rest of the games actually had better discounts during the spring sale.

I think Steam has realized that they've conditioned people to wait for summer and winter sales because that's usually when the better discounts happen and usually accompanied by some sort of event with cards or other rewards. I know the past few years I have only bought games from Steam during the summer and winter sales. Maybe they're trying to break that habit by having better deals during spring and fall sales and removing the cards from the summer and winter sales. Between Steam sales, I only buy Steam keys from Humble, GMG, etc.

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 17:22 Slashman

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 16:30:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:15:
They can also go fuck themselves and their spyfucking "wishlist". I haven't used that spyware shit in years.

Using the wishlist is 100% retarded cuz:
Ucrazy

Well that's about enough Bluenews for today.....

Laugh2

16. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 16:30 Tipsy McStagger

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:15:
They can also go fuck themselves and their spyfucking "wishlist". I haven't used that spyware shit in years.

Using the wishlist is 100% retarded cuz:
Ucrazy

Well that's about enough Bluenews for today.....

15. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 16:25 grudgebearer

I didn't know it was ending today... I knew I have Kingdom Come on the list for $18. When I went into the cart noticed I got $5 off because of their race thing where I picked Hare last week, who knows why. But it was good for $5 and then for $13.... made the last minute deal. Picked up PoeT2 and Kingmaker. Those three games should be played sometime in 2020 or 2021 and be good for a couple months of game time.

I almost snagged Kingdom Come myself, but then I saw that it's the early unlock for the August Humble Bundle Monthly.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

14. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 16:17 Primalchrome

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:47:

Valve does not need such a list to make decisions what and how they need to market to their users, they have all the data they need for that from the playtimes of your games, the playtimes of games played by those on your friends list and the games you browse in the store.
While it is true that the Wishlist is another data point....anyone that has even the slightest concern about that information shouldn't be using Steam or the internet in the first place. You give up massive amounts of generic data points just to reach the wishlist...let alone populate it.

13. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:47 roguebanshee

MattyC wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:15:
@CJ um some of us have these things called friends who gift us games that are on our wishlist.:. Spyware?

12. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:23 jdreyer

Yeah, games that would have been $5 or $10 in the past were $12 or $15.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:21 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:44:
Anybody here win anything? I didn't participate but I was wondering how good the odds were of getting one of those 5000 giveaways and if maybe I should have.

I got $5 off a game I picked up last night.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:15 MattyC

@CJ um some of us have these things called friends who gift us games that are on our wishlist.:. Spyware?  

9. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 15:13 Saboth

No doubt. I did not buy one single game. I bought 2 games from
Fanatical. They had the same prices as the Steam Sale versions, but Fanatical gave me a 10% off and 15% off coupon that I could use.

Don't think there's ever been a steam sale where I didn't buy a game.I used to spend $50 or $100+, but that's back when you'd get 75, 80, 90% off most games.

8. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 14:35 FloorPie

You got $5 off if you redeemed tokens earned by the race deal and some previous points from the lunar sale thing if you had them.

7. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 14:16 Acleacius

That sounds pretty good, let us know how you like them in the 2020s!

The best bang for the buck was Sleeping Dogs $1.99 at least for me. Passed on most of the rest, waiting for better deals. I ended up just buffing my ESO game (not steam version) with Summerset and Elsweyr (both upgrades for $36). I really wanted to play a Necromancer but didn't realize needed to replay the main story again on a new toon, bleh.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

6. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 13:06 HorrorScope

5. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 12:36 Solemn-Philosopher

5000 is pretty measly for a 90 million monthly active player base.

I use the wishlist to track games I might want to buy. I find it especially helpful to track a bunch of early access games. I am patient and usually wait until they are actually completed (if ever).

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it sucks and everyone that finds it helpful is retarded.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo