More G2A Follow-up

The recent post on the G2A Website has an update from the keyseller following user feedback to their original post and a petition asking G2A to Stop selling indie titles that was started by Mike Rose. This all began with comments from some developers saying they'd prefer to have their games pirated over being purchased from G2A, alleging that shady practices keep them from seeing any revenue from such sales. Now G2A attempts to clarify one of the points many have seized upon, and says they will come back "in a couple of days" with a solution:
We received lots of feedback – both positive and negative. Developers themselves have offered some ideas and suggestions regarding the ways we can solve the issues they have with our platform. We need some time to put it all together. We’ll get back to you in the next couple of days with a solution.

Of all the negative comments, the following sentence was the most common:
“G2A admits they’re the problem because if not them, someone else would do it anyways”

Some developers cannot accept the fact that people have full rights to re-sell the things they own. It’s a problem for those developers, but not for us or anyone else. And certainly not for gamers who have access to cheaper products, games included, thanks to marketplaces such as G2A.

What we are saying is: “It’s a good thing that people can re-sell keys and, with or without G2A, they will continue to do so.”
View : : :

Re: More G2A Follow-up
Jul 9, 2019, 02:44
Re: More G2A Follow-up Jul 9, 2019, 02:44
Jul 9, 2019, 02:44

Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 02:12:
You didn't refer to the protection service in the past tense. You referred to it in the current tense, suggesting that it still exists. That was incorrect.

The "if we weren't doing it someone else would" comment was in reference to key reselling. That's not shady. It's completely legal and a consumer right. Also, G2A isn't the only site that facilitates key reselling so that comment is pretty accurate.

As for stating that they're working on improving their service and relationship with developers... is that bad? Would you rather they just ignore all the feedback and remain silent? Developers clearly don't like unauthorized reselling. Consumers feel the opposite. G2A is apparently trying to accommodate both audiences though that will be tricky.

We hear constant stories about G2A because the gaming media is an echo chamber. Someone writes a controversial tweet or forum post, then a gaming site makes a headline about it, then 50 other sites repost that headline without doing research or verification. I think Kotaku is the only site that does anything actually resembling journalism. Every other site is just regurgitating headlines. For example, you were ignorant of the fact that G2A no longer has a paid "protection" service because nobody actually reported that. Meanwhile, Kinguin (another site that lets people sell keys) still has a paid protection service. You've probably never heard of that site because no gaming sites have bothered writing about it.

I figured the take-away here was that they offered the service in the first place...but hey, I guess because they don't do it now means that it shouldn't be a checkmark on the box of shady things they do.

I don't care what they claim they meant by that statement, the inference was in regard that if they weren't around to be a key reseller (legitimate or not), someone else would take their place. Which they are implying that it doesn't matter if they resell fraudulent keys because someone else would be doing it if they weren't.

I never said that improving relations with devs was bad, I said that this being their, at minimum, 5th time saying it should be pretty clear that they don't intend on actually doing anything.

We hear about G2A all the time simply because they are the largest and they literally throw money at advertising campaigns, but Kinguin and CDKeys.com come up as well. The reason we don't hear about Kinguin is because almost everyone avoids it because of just how shady they can be. The reason CDKeys is not mentioned nearly as much is because, the last I saw, they are their own marketplace in the same vein as GMG and don't allow a user marketplace and has a whole can of worms of their own to deal with in that regard.

I'm also at a loss at how you can say Kotaku and journalism with a straight face...as for my 'ignorance', it again doesn't matter, they offered it in the first place because they saw the 'issue' they have with revoked keys...they then monetized it and pushed it to 'protect' the buyer. A service that, at worst, should've been free to begin with and at best shouldn't even be needed if they vet their sellers in any meaningful way.
Date
Subject
Author
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 9, 2019Jul 9 2019
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 8, 2019Jul 8 2019
Jul 9, 2019Jul 9 2019
Jul 9, 2019Jul 9 2019