Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers

At their Lavecon gathering this weekend, Frontier Developments announced details about September and December updates coming to Elite Dangerous, their space exploration and combat game. The September update will bring a new "in ship" starter experience for new players, a new livery system, and a new virtual currency called Arx which can be earned in-game or purchased with cash. The December update will add a new Fleet Carrier system shown off in this teaser trailer. Details on both updates can be found in this post and more on the new currency system are in a new Arx FAQ. Here's word on the new starter experience:

A whole new starting experience right from the cockpit of a Commander's first ship. With clearer instructions and guidance during the beginning of Elite Dangerous, the new starting flow should provide a more engaging way to learn the basics on their way to becoming fully-fledged pilots.

At the start of the experience, commanders will be guided through essential pilot training by a flight instructor from the Pilots Federation. During this training, a number of lessons will be taught to commanders, from space flight to combat.

• Basic flight controls and scanning.
  • Supercruise and navigation.
  • A combat exercise around a megaship.
  • Culminating with the final lesson: completing a first Hyperspace Jump and docking at a Starport.

All of the training will include VO across supported languages. Veteran Commanders out there who wish to experience the training will also be able to access it in the 'Training Section' via the right-hand panel of their cockpit.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 10, 2019, 08:23 VaranDragon

Did they fix the terrible control configuration UI?

As someone who has, pedals, stick, throttle and TrackIR, the last time I tried to configure my shit to work in ED I just gave up after about an hour and unistalled the game, yet again.

This is coming from someone who has hundreds if not thousands of hours with the terrible (but functional) DCS user interface.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 21:29 Mr. Tact

Thanks for the suggestion, I was not aware of spamgourmet. The price is right -- in a pinch that could work. However, in part I want to use addresses like this when I am expecting them to spam me, but I want to receive the spam for some reason for some limited amount of time. Hence having spamgourmet deleting the spam without forwarding it could be a problem in some small number of cases.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 20:26 Dev

There's some free services that give disposable emails that are live for only a few mins, google will find them.

I use spamgourmet which lets you have unlimited email addresses that forward to your real address. It's free, and I've used it for many years.

19. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 19:29 Mr. Tact

Hmm, I used to have a hotmail account -- but, it has been a long time since I have logged into it. I'll check it out, thanks. I wouldn't mind a small annual fee. I paid $20 a year to Yahoo for more than a decade, that price has doubled recently to $39.99 but the disposable address feature is easily worth $40 a year to me.  

18. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 18:51 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 18:19:
Yeah, I have multiple email addresses. I use Yahoo's "disposable address" option. I have over 80 different addresses setup currently. I'd like to find another similar option, I fear the day Verizon (who now owns Yahoo mail) eliminates this disposable address system. It would screw me over. Unless I'm reading it wrong, Mailinator doesn't fit the bill as a possible replacement.

I'm pretty sure that Hotmail (outlook.com) has disposable addresses as well. It's been a while since I've been in my Hotmail account (I have everything there forwarded to my Gmail account) but I wanna say there's an option there for that. I know for sure that back in the day Earthlink had an option for disposable addresses. I know this because my mother insisted on keeping her Earthlink.net account for many years because she didn't want to change her email address and thus was paying $9.99 a month for the 'privledge', which I absolutely hated. With the plethora of free email services out there, paying for email seemed to be sacrilege to me. She eventually let me set up a Gmail account for her but she only had it maybe six months before she passed away. *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 18:19 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 16:26:
So I don't install many things on my phone either and I use multiple email address or mailinator to squash tracking and such as well.

When you installed windows 10, local account, put pretty much everything to off and then afterwards you can also regedit you way to other things being off. Personally, I love windows 10 as much as I loved the jump to windows 98.

Read a few windows 10 privacy articles (there's tons now) you'll get an idea.
Yeah, I have multiple email addresses. I use Yahoo's "disposable address" option. I have over 80 different addresses setup currently. I'd like to find another similar option, I fear the day Verizon (who now owns Yahoo mail) eliminates this disposable address system. It would screw me over. Unless I'm reading it wrong, Mailinator doesn't fit the bill as a possible replacement.

I have not ever installed Win10, yet. I've read a few articles here and there, but don't recall anyone mentioning a local account. I'll look around again.

16. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 16:26 Tipsy McStagger

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 14:14:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 10:34:
What's your issues with it? the social media platform can be disabled to have all adds/etc turned off.
I'll admit the possibility I am not fully informed, but my impression was you can only turn off some of Microsoft's monitoring. If I understand correctly, they did recently fix the forced updates and reboots -- which frankly was just about a complete no-go for me. Those can now at least be forced into a delay, allowing you to update at a time of your own choosing as long as you don't wait too long. But overall, turning their OS into a customer information collection tool is highly objectionable to me. Additionally, hasn't there been talk recently of them adding advertisements to platform?

While I am certainly tracked by other companies, I'm tracked by fewer than most people simply because I don't use so many of the other things which do tracking. I don't use apps on my phone other than basic texting and occasionally the browser (I don't even connect via Wi-fi). I've never logged on Facebook or its various predecessors. I use VPN software on my PC. I'm not paranoid or anything, but I do try to keep my profile low so voluntarily using an OS designed to track me, isn't a low bar to surpass.

So I don't install many things on my phone either and I use multiple email address or mailinator to squash tracking and such as well.

When you installed windows 10, local account, put pretty much everything to off and then afterwards you can also regedit you way to other things being off. Personally, I love windows 10 as much as I loved the jump to windows 98.

Read a few windows 10 privacy articles (there's tons now) you'll get an idea.

15. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 14:14 Mr. Tact

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 10:34:
What's your issues with it? the social media platform can be disabled to have all adds/etc turned off.
I'll admit the possibility I am not fully informed, but my impression was you can only turn off some of Microsoft's monitoring. If I understand correctly, they did recently fix the forced updates and reboots -- which frankly was just about a complete no-go for me. Those can now at least be forced into a delay, allowing you to update at a time of your own choosing as long as you don't wait too long. But overall, turning their OS into a customer information collection tool is highly objectionable to me. Additionally, hasn't there been talk recently of them adding advertisements to platform?

While I am certainly tracked by other companies, I'm tracked by fewer than most people simply because I don't use so many of the other things which do tracking. I don't use apps on my phone other than basic texting and occasionally the browser (I don't even connect via Wi-fi). I've never logged on Facebook or its various predecessors. I use VPN software on my PC. I'm not paranoid or anything, but I do try to keep my profile low so voluntarily using an OS designed to track me, isn't a low bar to surpass.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2019, 16:19.

14. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 10:34 Tipsy McStagger

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 09:00:
Yeah.. the biggest hold up is it means deciding what to do instead of Win7. Burrito has me considering going with Linux and while I am tempted to believe him on the relative ease of doing that in the current environment, I am less convinced on the compatibility for the gaming side of things. I suspect eventually I'll wimp out and settle for Win10, but I'm pretty sure that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth...

13. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 09:00 Mr. Tact

Yeah.. the biggest hold up is it means deciding what to do instead of Win7. Burrito has me considering going with Linux and while I am tempted to believe him on the relative ease of doing that in the current environment, I am less convinced on the compatibility for the gaming side of things. I suspect eventually I'll wimp out and settle for Win10, but I'm pretty sure that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth...  

12. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 04:12 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 20:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 20:36:
Still thinking about getting a HMD? NMS VR coming soon!
I'll probably wait at least until I get a new computer -- I'm overdue to do that...

Seems like there's no better time than the present to start planning, given the plethora of CPUs and GPUs that were just released. Also SSDs cheaper than ever! Hit up KXMode for some awesome stats on his new build.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 20:37 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 20:36:
I'll probably wait at least until I get a new computer -- I'm overdue to do that...

10. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 20:36 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 20:31:
I've spent over 1,000 hours in both ED and NMS. And although I suspect many would disagree, generally speaking, I don't find much difference between them. Yeah, ED has "more realistic" flight, and NMS lets you explore on foot, and lots of other things ARE different, but overall they are basically the same game.

It will be interesting to see how Frontier implements the carriers, and how they compare to freighters in NMS. I'm not quite sure I see the purpose in the new currency, seems like all it will do is reduce their cash flow for the cosmetic items they sell. Whatever.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 20:31 Mr. Tact

I've spent over 1,000 hours in both ED and NMS. And although I suspect many would disagree, generally speaking, I don't find much difference between them. Yeah, ED has "more realistic" flight, and NMS lets you explore on foot, and lots of other things ARE different, but overall they are basically the same game.

It will be interesting to see how Frontier implements the carriers, and how they compare to freighters in NMS. I'm not quite sure I see the purpose in the new currency, seems like all it will do is reduce their cash flow for the cosmetic items they sell. Whatever.

8. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 18:20 Nimh

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 18:05:
Turd Ferguson wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 15:06:
My biggest gripe is that FDevs constantly take back seat, ppl just flown to the end of the galaxy to find nothing but dirt. There were no lore bread crumbs, no answers to any of the lore questions, bah, there was no participation from the devs at any levels whatsoever.

Hats off to the DW2 organizers, they did an amazing job making this journey happen.

They really need better in-game community planning.. they are trying right now somewhat but my god they suck at it.

They can't even design a satisfying reward loop outside of piloting.. you think they should try crafting community events? Honestly be happy they don't get involved more.

Let us know when Sandro has been fired, then it might be worth another look. Until then enjoy the RNG pretending to be a game.

7. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 18:05 Tipsy McStagger

Turd Ferguson wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 15:06:
My biggest gripe is that FDevs constantly take back seat, ppl just flown to the end of the galaxy to find nothing but dirt. There were no lore bread crumbs, no answers to any of the lore questions, bah, there was no participation from the devs at any levels whatsoever.

Hats off to the DW2 organizers, they did an amazing job making this journey happen.

They really need better in-game community planning.. they are trying right now somewhat but my god they suck at it.

6. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 18:00 jdreyer

Obsidian Ant had a nice video in what to expect from this update.  

5. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 17:59 jdreyer

J wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 13:34:
In space, nobody can hear you grind.

Yes, but the grinding is so beautiful in VR...

4. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 15:06 Turd Ferguson

3. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 8, 2019, 13:34 J

In space, nobody can hear you grind.  

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo