G2A Fights Back

A post on the G2A Website responds to the recent news of developers saying they'd prefer gamers pirate their games over buying keys through G2A's marketplace. G2A offers a lengthy defense of their practices, claiming their business is based on the same principles as other digital storefronts while telling their side of the story about where they get their game keys. They also look to address complaints about credit card chargebacks, promising to reimburse developers tenfold for any money they've lost on them, though the developer must be able to prove keys were illegally obtained before doing so. They offer "wall of text" explanation along with this shorter version:
Let’s lay all cards on the table. We will pay developers 10 times the money they lost on chargebacks after their illegally obtained keys were sold on G2A. The idea is simple: developers just need to prove such a thing actually happened on their stores.

To assure honesty and transparency, we will ask a reputable and independent auditing company to make an unbiased examination of both sides – the developer’s store and G2A Marketplace. The cost of the first three audits is on us, every next one will be split 50/50.

The auditing company will check if any game keys sold on G2A were obtained using stolen credit cards on a developer’s store compliant with card scheme rules from Visa and Master Card/payment provider rules. If so, G2A guarantees it’ll pay all the money the developer lost on chargebacks… multiplied by 10.

We want this process to be transparent, so we will publicly report every step of the procedure. Meaning, you will get information such as who came forward, and what the verdict was, all of which will be published for everyone to see.

If you’re a developer willing to cooperate, contact the G2A Direct team

And now onto some other Twitter-related issues that have popped up in the last few days.

For the sake of your time, here’s a TL;DR version:

• G2A is a marketplace that’s all about making the prices for gamers as low as possible.
  • G2A’s business model is the same as any other big, global marketplaces’ like Amazon or eBay, with all its ups and downs. And just like them, we always try to maximize the ups and minimize the downs. Not only because of the law, but also because the customers require certain standards, and because the competition would beat us if we stayed behind.
  • Out of all marketplaces, G2A offers the best benefits for copyright owners – G2A Direct. Nobody else gives developers a percentage cut of all sales on their games sold by someone else.
  • G2A, like most online businesses, uses automated marketing, so every product available on the marketplace can be shown based on what the user is interested in.
  • If any developer suspects there are keys on the marketplace that shouldn’t be there, there’s a quick and easy way to report it. All it takes is to contact us. If any key was illegally obtained, we’ll remove it, block the seller and provide their personal data to the proper authorities.
  • We are and always were open for discussion, but a real one, not empty accusations and catchy slogans.

View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: G2A Fights Back
Jul 5, 2019, 13:05
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 13:05
Jul 5, 2019, 13:05

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 13:01:
I dislike global pricing being taken advantage of, because then publishers will just try and kill it somehow (or kill third-party keys) and that helps no one. It's a good thing for potato land to get cheaper games, and people in steak land shouldn't try to screw that up to save a dime IMO.

Ubisoft making all third-party keys launch Uplay immediately for verification is probably where everything's headed, which will put places like G2A out of business.
I agree with everything you posted.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jul 5, 2019, 13:01
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 13:01
Jul 5, 2019, 13:01

I dislike global pricing being taken advantage of, because then publishers will just try and kill it somehow (or kill third-party keys) and that helps no one. It's a good thing for potato land to get cheaper games, and people in steak land shouldn't try to screw that up to save a dime IMO.

Ubisoft making all third-party keys launch Uplay immediately for verification is probably where everything's headed, which will put places like G2A out of business.

Jul 5, 2019, 12:51
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 12:51
Jul 5, 2019, 12:51

Acleacius wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 12:43:
I guess that means all the other key sites like Kinguin and CDKeys are all bought with stolen credit cards, too. Otherwise I can't think of how they could all be selling for about the same prices.
Guess I need to be more careful trying to stick it to big corps.

Honestly, any cd key resale site is probably at least partially stocked with either stolen keys or 'real' keys bought with stolen credit cards. The remainder of their keys are bought in low price markets and resold, which is at best, in a gray area legally.

Credit card companies don't give a fuck these days, unless the charges are in the tens of thousands of dollars. If nobody calls to report the card stolen, they just bill the customer; if somebody does call, they just cancel those charges and the guy who bought that key from G2A ends up getting screwed eventually.

Jul 5, 2019, 12:43
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 12:43
Jul 5, 2019, 12:43

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:46:
Yes some of the keys are legit and by legit I mean they were purchased with stolen credit cards. Devs have often lamented having to deal with this nonsense, its pretty well known in the industry and has been discussed countless times here. G2A is a scummy operation, they are not legitimate in the slightest. There is no free lunch, they are not selling keys below everyone else in the industry legitimately. They are also well known for ignoring complaints and enabling this sort of shit, just throwing their hands up and saying "its a marketplace!" as if that's an answer to anything.

This bullshit will not check out. When they say independent audit firm, they mean some third party they control that probably knows nothing about the industry. And they will absolutely not honor any results, probably using semantic dodging about "proof" as they have done in the past.

If people want to buy keys on G2A then whatever, I don't care how they spend their money but at least know where it's going.
'All the keys are bought with stolen credit cards' that's pretty shocking. It's hard to conceive there isn't a huge amount of data from credit card companies (ccc) trying to stop it.
I had thought it was easy to ccc to track stolen cards and items purchased with them.

I guess that means all the other key sites like Kinguin and CDKeys are all bought with stolen credit cards, too. Otherwise I can't think of how they could all be selling for about the same prices.
Guess I need to be more careful trying to stick it to big corps.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jul 5, 2019, 11:46
Verno

Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:46
Jul 5, 2019, 11:46
 Verno

Yes some of the keys are legit and by legit I mean they were purchased with stolen credit cards. Devs have often lamented having to deal with this nonsense, its pretty well known in the industry and has been discussed countless times here. G2A is a scummy operation, they are not legitimate in the slightest. There is no free lunch, they are not selling keys below everyone else in the industry legitimately. They are also well known for ignoring complaints and enabling this sort of shit, just throwing their hands up and saying "its a marketplace!" as if that's an answer to anything.

This bullshit will not check out. When they say independent audit firm, they mean some third party they control that probably knows nothing about the industry. And they will absolutely not honor any results, probably using semantic dodging about "proof" as they have done in the past.

If people want to buy keys on G2A then whatever, I don't care how they spend their money but at least know where it's going.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jul 5, 2019, 11:42
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:42
Jul 5, 2019, 11:42

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:15:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 10:59:
They're saying all the right things. I wonder what proof their accusers have?

G2A magically found a formula to sell well below cost that everyone else in the industry somehow missed? Uhhh lol. This is just bullshit PR, even if it was proved they will not make good on it.
I thought they were just buying up 2nd and 3rd world priced games, then selling them like a commodities trader. The industry side seemed to come up with region restricted to prevent it. Some of these keys must be legit, since there doesn't seem to be any evidence, atm.

The only scandal I remember only happened once, iirc. It was with a stolen credit card about 4(?) years ago. It's been at least a year or more since I've used them and only 4 or 5 games. Iirc, I've only bought games from shitty publishers and never been for indie games. In theory I wanted the shitty publishers getting less profit because these guys (or other key sites) got these on the cheap from 2nd and 3rd world marked down prices. Afaik, it's the same way m$ does it selling windows dirt cheap in regions trying to get a foothold.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jul 5, 2019, 11:25
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:25
Jul 5, 2019, 11:25

Methinks G2A doth protest too much. If I'm a dev, I'm totally calling them on their times 10 bullshit.

Jul 5, 2019, 11:15
Verno

Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:15
Jul 5, 2019, 11:15
 Verno

G2A magically found a formula to sell well below cost that everyone else in the industry somehow missed? Uhhh lol. This is just bullshit PR, even if it was proved they will not make good on it.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jul 5, 2019, 11:12
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:12
Jul 5, 2019, 11:12

They're calling the publishers' bluffs with a bluff of their own.

Pubs know they have no proof and are just accusing G2A because they assume that the only way G2A could sell cheap keys is illegitimately.

G2A thinks they're safe because they assume the publishers have no real proof. But watch them come up with some and this puts G2A out of business when they have to pay back 2.4 billion dollars or something crazy. XD

Jul 5, 2019, 10:59
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 10:59
Jul 5, 2019, 10:59

Jul 5, 2019, 10:54
Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 10:54
Jul 5, 2019, 10:54

They have won the war in digital ink.
"I Never Argue with a Man Who Buys Ink by the Barrel" - Twain?
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older