Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: ! Jul 7, 2019, 19:44 Osc8r

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 6, 2019, 10:53:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 18:26:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:16:
Thanks but I'll wait and see what a wide test bed says on a wide test of games before writing the new AMD cards off. And the other two upsides are, as always, AMD is cheaper and they make price cuts faster. Plus in countries outside of the US there's generally a rather significant difference in pricing for AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia products.

But then you generally have the downsides of more noise, more heat, no g-sync and worse drivers.

Their GPU's sound like they'll be rather disappointing, but really looking forward to hearing more about the 3900x CPU.

Since when is G-Sync an issue? Few people waste money on monitors with that feature because of big differences in price. Secondly have you heard the new super graphics cards from Nvidia? Want to talk about noise, go listen to one!

I'm sitting next to a 2080ti at full load and can barely hear it, plus, my g-sync monitor at home is amazing...

And where are you getting your facts from?

According to people in the know, the new 5700xt is a WHOPPING 10db louder than the super cards you are calling noisy - so yeah, strong logic.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_5700_xt_review,11.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAWtKEIYbw

AMD fanboys are so cute.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. ! Jul 6, 2019, 10:53 Ozmodan

Osc8r wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 18:26:
Thanks but I'll wait and see what a wide test bed says on a wide test of games before writing the new AMD cards off. And the other two upsides are, as always, AMD is cheaper and they make price cuts faster. Plus in countries outside of the US there's generally a rather significant difference in pricing for AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia products.

But then you generally have the downsides of more noise, more heat, no g-sync and worse drivers.

Their GPU's sound like they'll be rather disappointing, but really looking forward to hearing more about the 3900x CPU.

Since when is G-Sync an issue? Few people waste money on monitors with that feature because of big differences in price. Secondly have you heard the new super graphics cards from Nvidia? Want to talk about noise, go listen to one!

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2019, 10:48 Ozmodan

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:44:
Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:14:
A resounding "ehhhh" to those benchmarks. The XT slots in weirdly between a 2070 and a 2070S. The results themselves are all over the place, indicating immature drivers that need work. There's a rumor they are going to drop the price to make it more attractive and frankly that's necessary otherwise there is no reason to get one over Nvidia's refreshed offerings.

Yup. Navi is DOA as expected due to nVidia's preemptive Super-strike. You are objectively getting the all around better package with a nVidia based graphics card in terms of performance, efficiency (including noise... wtf was AMD thinking still screwing leaf blowers on their cards?), RTX/DXR support, Gameworks, PhysX, G-Sync + AdaptiveSync (G-Sync compatible mode), better/broader game/feature support thanks to market leadership and so on and so on.

Navi will still sell to the hardcore AMD fans who would never touch a nVidia card but there isn't really any reason for someone who isn't an AMD fanboy or a nVidia hater to pick one up.
I think AMD know this as well and it's why they are sort of "hiding" the Navi launch behind the simultaneous Zen2 launch which will steal all the thunder from Navi anyway.

Seriously? Nvidia pay you for that diatribe? Navi will do quite well as Nvidia cards are still way overpriced and I expect that AMD will lower card prices far sooner than Nvidia does. Firstly the vast majority of people still play games in 1080p hence that makes there less expensive RX cards still popular. Secondly ray tracing at this stage of development is a complete joke, even the 2080ti still can't do it without major graphics degradation.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2019, 00:14  Simon Says 

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 23:33:
PRICE CUTS

The Radeon 5700 XT, previously listed at $450, will now cost $400, and the Radeon 5700, previously $380, will be priced at $350.

The verge

Still way overpriced for midrange cards. Seems like 350$-400$ is the new 200$-300$.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 23:33  RedEye9 

PRICE CUTS

The Radeon 5700 XT, previously listed at $450, will now cost $400, and the Radeon 5700, previously $380, will be priced at $350.

The verge

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 18:26 Osc8r

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 16:58  RedEye9 

It appears that the Poles aren't the only ones who are immune from leaks.

Ze Germans over at pcgameshardware.de released their AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X review with benchmarks

Vaccines Cause Immunity

9. How much RAM does your...PC need? Jul 5, 2019, 16:06  Burrito of Peace 

So 32GB like I currently run. Glad I have that covered.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 14:50 Verno

I think if they drop the price as rumored then it might be fine. I would like to see the XT at least $50-75 below the previously announced prices otherwise it just doesn't much make sense from a value proposition. Performance will hopefully improve to 2070S consistent levels. Vega 56 has matured nicely with driver optimization although frankly it took far longer than it should've with their cut down driver team. I hear you on the leaf blowers though, they really need a better reference design. The Nvidia founders edition cards are actually very decent and if they had idle spin down I would probably consider one over a partner board.  

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 14:44 CJ_Parker

A resounding "ehhhh" to those benchmarks. The XT slots in weirdly between a 2070 and a 2070S. The results themselves are all over the place, indicating immature drivers that need work. There's a rumor they are going to drop the price to make it more attractive and frankly that's necessary otherwise there is no reason to get one over Nvidia's refreshed offerings.

Yup. Navi is DOA as expected due to nVidia's preemptive Super-strike. You are objectively getting the all around better package with a nVidia based graphics card in terms of performance, efficiency (including noise... wtf was AMD thinking still screwing leaf blowers on their cards?), RTX/DXR support, Gameworks, PhysX, G-Sync + AdaptiveSync (G-Sync compatible mode), better/broader game/feature support thanks to market leadership and so on and so on.

Navi will still sell to the hardcore AMD fans who would never touch a nVidia card but there isn't really any reason for someone who isn't an AMD fanboy or a nVidia hater to pick one up.
I think AMD know this as well and it's why they are sort of "hiding" the Navi launch behind the simultaneous Zen2 launch which will steal all the thunder from Navi anyway.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 14:16  Cutter 

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:54 Verno

It's not GCN hardware architecture... It's RDNA.

It's still the GCN Instruction Set Architecture ( ISA ) tho.

Saying 5700XT is GCN so like Polaris is a bit like saying Zen is x86 ISA so like FX CPUs.

I've watched the David Kanter discussion on RDNA and it sounds more like Navi 10 is a hybrid arch with several design concessions originating from GCN. Navi 20 sounds more like a "pure" RDNA arch. But some of that stuff is above my head so /shrug.

This "leaked" benchmark was no doubt "leaked" by nVidia...;) The real reviews will be here soon enough.

It was a Polish tech site who published too soon, not an Nvidia conspiracy. The results aren't unfavorable by any means either, they're just sort of...whelming at best.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 WaltC

Simon Says wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:30:
Hopefully they can finally put GCN to bed once and for all after this.

Saying 5700XT is GCN so like Polaris is a bit like saying Zen is x86 ISA so like FX CPUs.

Get it?

Edit: And forget about AMD dropping the GCN ISA anytime soon, as long as Sony and MS will want easy backward compatibility going forward, AMD will be forced to continue to use the GCN ISA. They're stuck with it, thank the conslows. Sony/MS > PC gamers.

This "leaked" benchmark was no doubt "leaked" by nVidia...;) The real reviews will be here soon enough.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:37  RedEye9 

8GB is the new 4GB.
Thanks W10 and hungry browsers.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:30  Simon Says 

Get it?

Edit: And forget about AMD dropping the GCN ISA anytime soon, as long as Sony and MS will want easy backward compatibility going forward, AMD will be forced to continue to use the GCN ISA. They're stuck with it, thank the conslows. Sony/MS > PC gamers.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 Verno

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >