Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 11:37  RedEye9 

B2 was well received with a solid 80% https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/borderlands-2  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 11:05 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 22:56:
Do people complain that most Diablo 2 weapons were garbage?

No, but Diablo isn't that heavily dependent on your weapons to be doing damage (well, I guess maybe as a pure melee class). You do most of your offensive output through skills, whereas with Borderlands, you do most of your offensive output through weapons.

Borderlands can be one of two games.

1) You have great weapons, and can quickly mow through enemies, making it a fun, mayhem filled shooter and you wish there were more things to kill.

2) You have shit weapons, causing every single mook to be an absolute slug to kill, and you wind up sitting in cover taking potshots and slowly grinding down what then becomes an insane amount of enemies that you curse the developer over.

BL2 very, VERY easily falls into the second category because of its garbage drop rates. The mere fact they had to put the golden chest in the game, so that people who were getting fucking shithammered by their terrible drop rates could at least get some decent weapons, is indictment enough that they went way overboard with the stinginess.

My first time in BL2 going to the second replay, I hadn't grinded the dragon at the end for weapons, and it took me six fucking hours from the start of the game to get to sanctuary. It was the most god-awfully frustrating six hours of a shooter I'd ever played, and I was really very close to just uninstalling that shit and never playing it again. Every single mook practically one shot me, and they took minutes of shooting to kill. It was NOT.FUN. It took me like 30 minutes to kill captain Flynt. It was fucking horseshit.

Eventually I just got a cheat engine script that allowed me to modify the drop rates, after which I was getting excellent weapons which allowed me to play game #1 again, and everything was peachy.

To each their own, of course. Some people apparently love having to grind the same boss for 20 hours to get some decent stuff. To me, that's no longer fun.

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 08:33:
In Skyrim and Oblivion, you found more useless weapons. In The Witcher 3, at any given time I had 400 swords in my bag, all of which were useless other than to sell.

None of those games bleat "WE HAVE A TRILLION SWORDS!" in their marketing and make it their #1 hook. All of those games also allow you to craft your own weapons. Fairly huge difference.

11. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 10:56 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 21:59:
Effervescent, lol. The iridescent, rainbow, whatever drops

Haha, no idea why I typed that. I guess my mind just figured that's what they were called.

10. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 08:33  Beamer 

I think it needs to move from guns to gun parts. You have barrels, which determine if the gun fires normally, or in a wave, or three at a time, etc. You have stocks, which add fire or electricity or whatever. Magazines determine how many are held. All of these also have a damage rating, so finding a magazine that holds 100 bullets but only does 3 damage is great to start, but useless later. So you're building something for you.

My only big complaint, though, was that it was often hard with them to tell which weapons were truly better. DPS was a weird calc. In Diablo, you could pick something up and immediately know you were going to sell it. Incidentally, in the Diablos, I think you absolutely found more useless weapons. In Skyrim and Oblivion, you found more useless weapons. In The Witcher 3, at any given time I had 400 swords in my bag, all of which were useless other than to sell.

So I never fully got the "all the weapons in Borderlands are useless." All the weapons in anything randomly generating weapons are useless. The difference is that, at least in Borderlands, they feel distinguished and useless, instead of identical and useless. Oh, hey, I found a pistol that fires 4 bullets in a cube, then explodes, but it only shoots 10 feet, takes forever to reload, and does half the damage I need. Dumb, but I'll take it over a sword just like the 10 swords I just sold.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 04:01 Dash

It was also a much better game.

And that feels like the crux of it. Doesn't matter how much gear is in a game, if a vast majority of its going to be used for a moment to see what it does, and trashed/sold. Quality vs Quantity.

For the Diablo games [Save 3. Which even though its not as good as 2, I find myself going back to do rift-runs, anyway...], and similar dungeon-crawl games, there was more of a 'numbers' game on the weapons you could get. Varied stats could change how things felt. Plus, you'd be looking for specific gear to get Set bonuses, where everything interlocked with each other as you were going along in the game, and could find yourself sitting on a statistically 'flat' weapon because of whatever extra bonuses it had when linked up with the rest of your gear, than throwing on that newer weapon just because it had a bit more green numbers than red numbers, but lose whatever bonuses you had at that point. I found myself sitting on some gear, collecting it for 5-10 levels until I found other gear that matched everything up.

Class mods in Borderlands drifted kind of close to how it felt, but not enough to give the same feel. I'd put them more like the Charms from Diablo 2.

On the flip-side, there was the Titan Quest games, which threw so much similar stuff at you, in terms of loot, like the Diablo games, but it all felt the same, so it didn't feel as engaging.

I find myself avoiding Borderlands 3, because 2 felt like the shine of one was a bit rubbed off, and Prequel felt more 'samey', and I don't know if I have the interest to do it all over again.

I'd personally be more interested in 3, if instead of loads of guns that look different, but don't have that much actual difference between them based on stat-lines, they put in a 'workshop', where you could scrap all the garbage you get, and start making your guns. They'd feel personalized. Like Tuco stripping all the guns in the Gun Store scene from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

RNG would apply to the individual pieces, as well as how they'd link with each other. On top of that, if you started mixing Manufacturers, then you'd get fail chances during creation and use. Want a Tediore crossed with a Dahl? Sure. But that reload might blow up in your hands. Vladof with an Eridian? Sure. But it'll overheat during extended firefights. Mixing rarities? Go for it, if you don't mind misfires.

MotherGunShip's gun creation is probably what I would have liked, but tuned to the weirdness of Borderlands.

Just an opinion.

8. Re: Sunday Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 02:27 Razumen

No, but Diablo 2 didn't tout that it had a million billion unique possible weapons that could drop.

It was also a much better game.

7. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 23:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Most of the weapons in Diablo 2 AND Diablo 3 are garbage!

6. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 22:56  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 21:59 jacobvandy

Effervescent, lol. The iridescent, rainbow, whatever drops in the DLC are pretty numerous if you kill any of the bosses a few more times. Not guaranteed, but about the same as legendary drops for other bosses in the game. Which are not uncommon, really, if you're farming them. Only problem with the rainbow drops is there are several new vehicle paints of that rarity, so those were taking the drop slot more than I liked.  

4. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 18:55 Linthat22

Have any of you not found the best weapon for your class??? I've pretty much have had my pistol, sniper, shotgun, and Torgue weapons for years. Do y'all wear pussy hats while playing this game now?  

3. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 14:04 Creston

Halsy wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 13:12:
That's why I don't get the draw of these sorts of games. Yeah a billion weapons - 99.9% which are garbage, as you said.It actually gets to be more of a nuisance than anything. So what's the point when you're only really looking for Legendary stuff anyway? I'll check it out when it's $5.

And in the larger sense aren't we all here to make someone else's game?

The weird thing is that their weapon system was substantially better in BL1, because there were WAAAAAY more combinations. Elemental effects scaled from X1 to X4. More weird combinations could happen (sniper rifle smgs, etc). They toned that down massively for BL2, and made the only interesting weapons the legendary ones, THEN made it so that those never fucking drop.

I played the (free) DLC that came out recently. Six hours and many fights and chests later, I had gotten one shitty legendary (grenade) and one admittedly pretty cool effervescent weapon, but I believe that effervescent one is a guaranteed drop. In other words, nothing else dropped. And this is WITH their much-ballyhoo'ed "increased legendary drop rates." So I'm pretty worried about BL3 being another another MMO grind...

I think another thing that really needs to be changed is just the insane frequency of chests. There's literally a chest every few fucking feet, so you spend half of your gameplay just hitting a button to open chest # 397,246,110

Cut the frequency of chests by 90%, but then let the chests that ARE there actually have decent to good chances of dropping loot. And all the ammo and such can just drop from enemies.

*watches gameplay videos*

Oh...

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2019, 14:40.

2. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 13:12 Halsy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 12:15:
Hrm, have you fixed the innate problem of 99.99% of weapons being garbage, and most enemies at later levels being complete bullet sponges?

Don't get me wrong, I'll check out BL3 when it's on sale for ~$10 on Steam or if it ever makes it to Gog, but I'm not in any hurry to buy this new or on EGS.

That's why I don't get the draw of these sorts of games. Yeah a billion weapons - 99.9% which are garbage, as you said.It actually gets to be more of a nuisance than anything. So what's the point when you're only really looking for Legendary stuff anyway? I'll check it out when it's $5.

And in the larger sense aren't we all here to make someone else's game?

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

1. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 30, 2019, 12:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, have you fixed the innate problem of 99.99% of weapons being garbage, and most enemies at later levels being complete bullet sponges?

Don't get me wrong, I'll check out BL3 when it's on sale for ~$10 on Steam or if it ever makes it to Gog, but I'm not in any hurry to buy this new or on EGS.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >