Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Gabe Newell Almost Says Three

A post on Reddit features a video of a Valve Index launch party speech by Valve honcho Gabe Newell to commemorate the occasion (thanks PCGamesN). Amid the congratulations and discussions of the new hardware launch, Gabe almost comes out and uses the number three. This offers a glimmer of hope that there's still a chance Valve will some day come through with Half-Life 3, or at least Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Here's the incriminating insinuation:

Milestones aren’t really the end of anything, they’re really the beginning. So Half-Life led to Half-Life 2, Source led to Source 2, the experiments that we did with Team Fortress 2 were what enabled us to build Dota. Artifact is the reason we’re able to do Underlords.

So, maybe someday the number 2 will lead us to that shiny integer glowing on a mountain someplace… we’ll just have to see.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 30, 2019, 10:25 Razumen

Halsy wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 00:37:
No idea what most of that means as VR won't be on my radar until there's sufficient good content to justify the cost.

There's already LOADS of content on PC, both paid and free.

Seriously, we're already there.

Luke wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 11:02:
Yep nothing better than floating guns in tha air

Actually, yeah, you're right. There isn't. Not when you can actually physically aim those guns, look down the sights, pull out the mag, cock it, etc.

But I guess you think moving a mouse on a pad is more fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 30, 2019, 04:27 Acleacius

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 23:01:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 15:21:
Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 09:14:
I don't know, for all of his faults Gabe has been a pretty good steward of Steam if nothing else. I kinda worry about what happens when hes gone and some suits get a hold of it.
Yeah, far from perfect they have never stopped trying to innovate and provide new Steam content and obviously it doesn't all work. Iirc, one of the reasons Valve was formed from ex-m$ employees is, they didn't like the way m$ bullied and bribed retailers. Pretty sure m$ was constantly getting into trouble in the 1990s and 2000s for trade practices.

OT
They clearly don't want to do a cash grabs, on any of their IPs. They could have tried it at anytime, instead of waiting until it feels right.

Wow.

Hard to make heads or tails of this.

What might happen when Gabe goes and some suits take ahold of the company? Ummm, maybe they'll go back to making videogames and not just trying to min-max their rent-seeking storefront?

You youngins might not remember so let me refresh you, Valve is a company that used to make video games... lol

Steam regularly makes more money from a game sale by ringing your credit card than the entire studio that made the game sees. This is a bean-counter "suit" wet dream.
You mean these games, that show they have constantly kept making games since 1996?

I've got no idea what will happen to Valve/Steam if something happens to Gabe, but they are such a family oriented company I bet there's a shared ownership situation already in the works.

Pretty sure that's pure BS or epic propaganda.

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

24. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 30, 2019, 01:47 Orogogus

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 23:01:
Steam regularly makes more money from a game sale by ringing your credit card than the entire studio that made the game sees. This is a bean-counter "suit" wet dream.

When does that happen? It's been generally reported that Steam (and GOG, and Apple) take 30%, or a straight $100 for games that come in through Steam Direct. Or are you comparing revenue to profit?

23. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 23:01  Slick 

Acleacius wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 15:21:
I don't know, for all of his faults Gabe has been a pretty good steward of Steam if nothing else. I kinda worry about what happens when hes gone and some suits get a hold of it.
Yeah, far from perfect they have never stopped trying to innovate and provide new Steam content and obviously it doesn't all work. Iirc, one of the reasons Valve was formed from ex-m$ employees is, they didn't like the way m$ bullied and bribed retailers. Pretty sure m$ was constantly getting into trouble in the 1990s and 2000s for trade practices.

OT
They clearly don't want to do a cash grabs, on any of their IPs. They could have tried it at anytime, instead of waiting until it feels right.

Wow.

Hard to make heads or tails of this.

What might happen when Gabe goes and some suits take ahold of the company? Ummm, maybe they'll go back to making videogames and not just trying to min-max their rent-seeking storefront?

You youngins might not remember so let me refresh you, Valve is a company that used to make video games... lol

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

22. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 15:21 Acleacius

OT

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

21. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 11:09 Spektr

Is there a word for non-announcement? Because that's what it is. And "Someday" got to be the least exciting word for a game announcement or non-announcement ever.  

20. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 11:02 Luke

Armengar wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 10:55:
Dont really care for HL3 now, its been too long. VR on the other hand is excellent. For me, Elite Dangerous, DCS and Payday 2 are worth it. My OH likes beat sabre. Runs juat fine on my 1660ti so not a huge setup cost.

Yep nothing better than floating guns in tha air

19. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 10:55 Armengar

Dont really care for HL3 now, its been too long. VR on the other hand is excellent. For me, Elite Dangerous, DCS and Payday 2 are worth it. My OH likes beat sabre. Runs juat fine on my 1660ti so not a huge setup cost.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 09:14 Verno

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

17. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 08:51  Mr. Tact 

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 19:32:
I give you three dismissive wanks, Gabe.
And I'll throw a few I no longer give a shits...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

16. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 07:21  RedEye9 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 19:28:
Gabe needs to spend some of his billions on a personal trainer and dietician, ...
and groomer

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

15. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 04:06 Luke

HL3 confirmed also episode 3 incoming..i knew it  

14. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 00:37 Halsy

Slick wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 19:40:
As someone who is fundamentally against the idea of the 30% store tax that is Steam, I will give credit where it is due.

Valve's pioneering in VR is unparalleled. Their lighthouse system is the most advanced consumer VR implementation on the planet. Fucking sum-millimeter precision in freespace, it's fucking wild.

The Index looks to be incredible, but I'm waiting for a lightweight version that more resembles the "ski goggles" that you see in the movie Ready Player One.

VR is the one arena that no one can argue Valve hasn't re-invested their billions of otherwise unearned dollars wisely (sorry haters, if you had no hand in making the game, you shouldn't make more money on every sale than the creators themselves).

And if you wanna dig deep, the story of how Valve's VR was born is incredible. Oculus was poaching talent from Valve's VR team, and even visited Valve's HQ to see demos of tech that was far superior to Oculus. Kinda like when Gates and Jobs were visiting Xerox to totally rip off their mouse design. It's pretty nuts.

I have no love for giant multinational rent-seeking corporations, but Facebook I have genuine hate for.

No idea what most of that means as VR won't be on my radar until there's sufficient good content to justify the cost. I still think the future for VR is bright - virtual tourism, education, games, etc. yet no one is doing any of that in a meaningful way. Not even close.

It's good to hate Facebook. A few days ago I resubbed to SiriusXM as they had a 6 months for $25 deal so why not. I really like their - good - 80s and Grateful Dead channels - and others. Today on the 80s station they played a song I haven't heard in forever, Public Image Limited - Rise. I forgot how much I quite like PIL. Anyway, the great line from the song is, "Anger is an energy". Damn straight.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

13. Give us three sequels! Jun 28, 2019, 23:25  Ant 

HL3, P3, & TF3!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

12. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 23:04 Verno

Just give me Left 4 Dead 3, I don't even care about Half-Life anymore I'm so fucking bitter about it  

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

11. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 21:54  Tipsy McStagger 

Epic billionaire troll is good at trolling lol  

10. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 21:44  RedEye9 

Gabe, way to go mic-less dumb ass.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

9. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 21:23 Dacron

Slick wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 19:40:
VR is the one arena that no one can argue Valve hasn't re-invested their billions of otherwise unearned dollars wisely (sorry haters, if you had no hand in making the game, you shouldn't make more money on every sale than the creators themselves).

Huh, valves income, earned off a mutually agreed contract, is "unearned" (did you mean undeserved?) if a developer enters into a shitty contract ?

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

8. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 20:47  jdreyer 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 19:28:
I hate to say it, but Gabe needs to spend some of his billions on a personal trainer and dietician, or he's going to keel over from a heart attack soon. Source: I am a former fat guy, who did NOT have the money for a personal trainer/dietician, but still lost the weight.
Ornish program, FTW.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

7. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 20:39 Caslon

Why keep wishing and watching for HL3 when it would be a huge letdown given the possible impending super hype for it. It would be nothing but a cash grab at best. Besides, a game worthy of Half-Life would take years to make.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >