Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact

A lengthy series of tweets from Tim Sweeney looks to address some of the concerns gamers have expressed over Epic Games Store exclusives and other issues:
This question gets to the core of Epic’s strategy for competing with dominant storefronts. We believe exclusives are the only strategy that will change the 70/30 status quo at a large enough scale to permanently affect the whole game industry.

For example, after years of great work by independent stores (excluding big publishers like EA-Activision-Ubi), none seem to have reached 5% of Steam’s scale. Nearly all have more features than Epic; and the ability to discount games is limited by various external pressures.

This leads to the strategy of exclusives which, though unpopular with dedicated Steam gamers, do work, as established by the major publisher storefronts and by the key Epic Games store releases compared to their former Steam revenue projections and their actual console sales.

In judging whether a disruptive move like this is reasonable in gaming, I suggest considering two questions: Is the solution proportionate to the problem it addresses, and are gamers likely benefit from the end goal if it’s ultimately achieved?

The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the developer who built the game that’s sold. This is a disastrous situation for developers and publishers alike, so I believe the strategy of exclusives is proportionate to the problem.

If the Epic strategy either succeeds in building a second major storefront for PC games with an 88/12 revenue split, or even just leads other stores to significantly improve their terms, the result will be a major wave of reinvestment in game development and a lowering of costs.

Will the resulting 18% increase in developer and publisher revenue benefit gamers? Such gains are generally split among (1) reinvestment, (2) profit, and (3) price reduction. The more games are competing with each other, the more likely the proceeds are to go to (1) and (3).

So I believe this approach passes the test of ultimately benefitting gamers after game storefronts have rebalanced and developers have reinvested more of their fruits of their labor into creation rather than taxation.

Of course, there are LOTS of challenges along the way, and Epic is fully committed to solving all problems that arise for gamers are for our partners as the Epic Games store grows.
View : : :
184 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
Jun 28, 2019, 09:00
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 09:00
Jun 28, 2019, 09:00

Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 08:48:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 18:34:
Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 16:02:
Ugh, I'm not going to read 155 posts, but I was just thinking of this earlier:

Everyone who argues that the extra split that EGS gives is going to somehow wind up in the hands of the developers, please think about this: The gaming industry is rife with stories of publishers abusing the LIVING FUCK out devs. Year long crunch times, 100 hour work weeks, no paid overtime, etc.

Yet somehow, you guys think that these publishers, these selfsame pieces of shit that treat human beings as fucking CATTLE, are going to voluntarily give these devs more money?

Yep. There is far more evidence demonstrating that too, the case for optimism is flimsy at best. I'm sure Randy Pitchford and Take-Two will be writing extra large bonus checks instead of fucking over their staff. Shit even among indie devs we have many examples of people absconding with development funds. The gaming industry is a pretty shitty place and it needs unionization a lot more than it needs an extra 12% revenue split.

And again they're not selling shares here, we're buying games. I don't care how they divvy the back end. Revenue splits are a PR handwave. Stop doing shitty things like removing consumer choice and pretending like you're doing us a favor.

The funny thing is that the people who are arguing for EGS are actually more concerned with hurting Valve for not making games anymore than they are for "better stuff for everyone". They believe that Valve will be pushed into making games again if Epic's Store takes off.

Is there an example here?
I'm sure it's true, but has anyone here said that? I haven't noticed the weirdo Valve haters falling on one side or the other - plenty of those angry over no HL3 seem to be also angry at EGS - I think some people just take games very personally and get very angry all the time, rather than just enjoying a very fun hobby.

I know I'm the annoying person in the middle. My stance isn't that EGS is good, just that it isn't bad. Competition isn't going to be as beneficial for the consumer as pubs/devs, they're the real customer here, not us, but we'll still see benefits. The store is behind right now, but there's no way for it to catch up without a revenue stream, and no levers it can pull other than exclusives. It's severely lacking in features, but none of the released exclusives really benefit from those features, their development roadmap shows the needed features hitting before any exclusives that need them, and if EGS is lacking in some needed feature when an exclusive is about to launch, I'm pretty sure that exclusive will no longer be exclusive.

Right now, the only real loss is "choice," which I don't think we ever really had with Steam (the choice was Steam or Steam), and hypothetical future losses, which we have no reason yet to assume will actually come true.

Jun 28, 2019, 08:48
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 08:48
Jun 28, 2019, 08:48

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 18:34:

Everyone who argues that the extra split that EGS gives is going to somehow wind up in the hands of the developers, please think about this: The gaming industry is rife with stories of publishers abusing the LIVING FUCK out devs. Year long crunch times, 100 hour work weeks, no paid overtime, etc.

Yet somehow, you guys think that these publishers, these selfsame pieces of shit that treat human beings as fucking CATTLE, are going to voluntarily give these devs more money?

Yep. There is far more evidence demonstrating that too, the case for optimism is flimsy at best. I'm sure Randy Pitchford and Take-Two will be writing extra large bonus checks instead of fucking over their staff. Shit even among indie devs we have many examples of people absconding with development funds. The gaming industry is a pretty shitty place and it needs unionization a lot more than it needs an extra 12% revenue split.

And again they're not selling shares here, we're buying games. I don't care how they divvy the back end. Revenue splits are a PR handwave. Stop doing shitty things like removing consumer choice and pretending like you're doing us a favor.

The funny thing is that the people who are arguing for EGS are actually more concerned with hurting Valve for not making games anymore than they are for "better stuff for everyone". They believe that Valve will be pushed into making games again if Epic's Store takes off.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 27, 2019, 19:05
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2019, 19:05
Jun 27, 2019, 19:05
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 17:55:
Ugh, I'm not going to read 155 posts,
If you read post #1 you'll learn about colors and if you read post #33 you'll learn that competition is good for everyone.
You can safely skip the rest as you have wisely chosen to do.

And then there are RedEye's posts that are tersely inept.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 27, 2019, 18:34
Verno

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 18:34
Jun 27, 2019, 18:34
 Verno

Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jun 27, 2019, 17:55
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 17:55
Jun 27, 2019, 17:55

Ugh, I'm not going to read 155 posts,
If you read post #1 you'll learn about colors and if you read post #33 you'll learn that competition is good for everyone.
You can safely skip the rest as you have wisely chosen to do.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
Jun 27, 2019, 17:53
Re: Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 17:53
Jun 27, 2019, 17:53

Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 17:43:

Most of the comments in this thread are opinions (mine included) that don't offer a comprehensive review of Tim's tweets. However, if you read my comment (#75), you'll see that I eviscerate Tim's fantasy utopia.

To sum up, he appears hell-bent on the idea that third-party PC exclusives will somehow lead to the promised land of consumer benefits. By themselves, exclusives create anti-consumer choice and artificially tiered access (I am separating publisher exclusives on publisher storefront [like EA on Origin] from third-party exclusives on non-publisher stores [like Deep Silver on Steam or EGS]). Further, he continues to use price reduction as one of the main pillars to justify exclusivity, when the facts show that only one or two games have ever had a preorder price reduction. The rest are sold at full-premium as they would be if on Steam and elsewhere. Exclusivity hasn't provided a benefit for consumers.
I see your 75 and raise you my 50! Giggle
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Jun 27, 2019, 17:43
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 17:43
Jun 27, 2019, 17:43
 Kxmode

Most of the comments in this thread are opinions (mine included) that don't offer a comprehensive review of Tim's tweets. However, if you read my comment (#75), you'll see that I eviscerate Tim's fantasy utopia.

To sum up, he appears hell-bent on the idea that third-party PC exclusives will somehow lead to the promised land of consumer benefits. By themselves, exclusives create anti-consumer choice and artificially tiered access (I am separating publisher exclusives on publisher storefront [like EA on Origin] from third-party exclusives on non-publisher stores [like Deep Silver on Steam or EGS]). Further, he continues to use price reduction as one of the main pillars to justify exclusivity, when the facts show that only one or two games have ever had a preorder price reduction. The rest are sold at full-premium as they would be if on Steam and elsewhere. Exclusivity hasn't provided a benefit for consumers.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 27, 2019, 16:02
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 16:02
Jun 27, 2019, 16:02

Jun 27, 2019, 15:58
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 15:58
Jun 27, 2019, 15:58

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 12:25:

When's the last time CD Projekt Red went out and sniped a game on steam a week before release to make it GoG exclusive, undercut a couple of Kickstarter projects that were to be released on Steam and made them exclusives, and then had Piotr Karwowski jump on Twitter to tell consumers that they are limiting their choice of retailers for their own good and the good of developers?

Sweeney brings this on himself.

Can't tell if you understood that was my whole point or not... but sure, yeah.

Jun 27, 2019, 15:30
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 15:30
Jun 27, 2019, 15:30

wow, so much butthurt over practically nothing. It's just fukin video games

At the end of the day, how is EGS really going to affect you? lmao

Either they'll succeed and Steam will have some actual competition, or they'll fail like 99% of most new companies/services that compete.

Either way, you'll still be able to get your precious games

Jun 27, 2019, 15:26
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 15:26
Jun 27, 2019, 15:26

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 12:09:
Drayth wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 10:51:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 09:09:
Epic doesn't get the kid glove treatment just because they're a new player in the industry. Seems pretty rational to me. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed over what others do their money either.

Seriously. GoG does pretty much everything right, and how much discussion on them occurs on average? You don't see anyone feeling the need to grab a sword and shout from the castle walls every time they have a sale, or when something doesn't get released on their store. Point being, if evryone's more or less content with a service there's not a whole lot to discuss other than the occasional praise over a sweet deal, or legitimately interesting news.

But when Epic news causes a genuine stir there's a VERY vocal few who feel like they need to explain to you how your thinking is wrong and their crystal ball has told them that Epic checks out. They totally will stop starving the market if their competitor will just give in to their demands, that they themselves totally will be living by as well forever. And yeah they may have gotten rich off someone else's idea, fumble how to handle a seasonal sale, and are known to have a stressful workplace for the sake of constantly pumping out new content, but their tactics are totally altruistic, meant for the betterment of all gamers, swearzys. Throw all your money their way so they can keep starving the market.

It's not like a company that can literally throw tons of money to anyone willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them would also have the money to hire some of the best marketing people who could come up with tweets like this one. This is from the heart.

Oh and if their tactics of buying out all these indy games happens to kill off GoG, meh... at least we're sticking it to the evil Steam store, with it's dumb feature rich store front and earned market share.

Hopefully that's one of the main takeaways that people get from this: buy on Gog, FFS.

*Disclaimer: I buy everything I can on Gog, instead of any other platform.

Indeed, except I can't buy Genesis Alpha One and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on GoG, they sold out to Epic last winter.

Jun 27, 2019, 14:11
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 14:11
Jun 27, 2019, 14:11

Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 14:04:
Numinar wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 02:01:
Wow, when did monopolies become a good thing?

All I know is a lot of idiots refuse to play phenomenal stuff like The Outer Wilds because they are sooky sooks who can't enjoy their games unless they have a white supremacist forum to shitpost on directly baked into the UI of their launcher.

And I love Steam. It's made plenty of money over the last decade and a half for making our amazing digital future a reality. But whatever other bullshit Tim is spewing, he is right that nobody else has really made a dent in Steam's market share playing fair. Let him throw money around at Devs. They can take it or not take it, whatever they need to keep a roof over their kid's heads. Making games is hard, I want them to have options. Exclusivity sucks but so do monopolies and all sorts of other industry shenanigans. It's like the Bible, it's full of insane nonsense but everyone gets hung up on the gays instead of the important shit like why can't we sell our children into slavery or quarantine menstruating women. Selective outrage at it's finest.

Also EGS is way better than Steam was for like what, the first 3 years? It was a garbage piece of bloatware that we installed because of a certain beloved exclusive. Fuck off with the moral highground.

We should probably add "the Bible," "the Gays," "slavery," and "the Womens" to Godwin's Law.

Sounds like something the libtards, Venezuela, George Soros, Brietbart, and the Koch Brothers would do.

Jun 27, 2019, 14:04
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 14:04
Jun 27, 2019, 14:04
 Kxmode

Numinar wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 02:01:
Wow, when did monopolies become a good thing?

All I know is a lot of idiots refuse to play phenomenal stuff like The Outer Wilds because they are sooky sooks who can't enjoy their games unless they have a white supremacist forum to shitpost on directly baked into the UI of their launcher.

And I love Steam. It's made plenty of money over the last decade and a half for making our amazing digital future a reality. But whatever other bullshit Tim is spewing, he is right that nobody else has really made a dent in Steam's market share playing fair. Let him throw money around at Devs. They can take it or not take it, whatever they need to keep a roof over their kid's heads. Making games is hard, I want them to have options. Exclusivity sucks but so do monopolies and all sorts of other industry shenanigans. It's like the Bible, it's full of insane nonsense but everyone gets hung up on the gays instead of the important shit like why can't we sell our children into slavery or quarantine menstruating women. Selective outrage at it's finest.

Also EGS is way better than Steam was for like what, the first 3 years? It was a garbage piece of bloatware that we installed because of a certain beloved exclusive. Fuck off with the moral highground.

We should probably add "the Bible," "the Gays," "slavery," and "the Womens" to Godwin's Law.

Jun 27, 2019, 13:53
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:53
Jun 27, 2019, 13:53
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 04:12:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 19:07:
I prefer to go to Kroger over Walmart personally.
And if something I was expecting to buy at Kroger recently became exclusive to Walmart, I'd be kind of upset about that.
Seems like a normal reaction.

The vast majority of EGS exclusives were never on Steam to begin with.

Isn't that what exclusive on EGS means?

Jun 27, 2019, 13:52
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:52
Jun 27, 2019, 13:52
 Kxmode

150! Thanks, Tim Sweeney! Dance

Jun 27, 2019, 13:48
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:48
Jun 27, 2019, 13:48
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:50:
Potato Head Jesus

Cannot unsee.

Jun 27, 2019, 12:25
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 12:25
Jun 27, 2019, 12:25

Epic doesn't get the kid glove treatment just because they're a new player in the industry. Seems pretty rational to me. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed over what others do their money either.

Seriously. GoG does pretty much everything right, and how much discussion on them occurs on average? You don't see anyone feeling the need to grab a sword and shout from the castle walls every time they have a sale, or when something doesn't get released on their store. Point being, if evryone's more or less content with a service there's not a whole lot to discuss other than the occasional praise over a sweet deal, or legitimately interesting news.

But when Epic news causes a genuine stir there's a VERY vocal few who feel like they need to explain to you how your thinking is wrong and their crystal ball has told them that Epic checks out. They totally will stop starving the market if their competitor will just give in to their demands, that they themselves totally will be living by as well forever. And yeah they may have gotten rich off someone else's idea, fumble how to handle a seasonal sale, and are known to have a stressful workplace for the sake of constantly pumping out new content, but their tactics are totally altruistic, meant for the betterment of all gamers, swearzys. Throw all your money their way so they can keep starving the market.

It's not like a company that can literally throw tons of money to anyone willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them would also have the money to hire some of the best marketing people who could come up with tweets like this one. This is from the heart.

Oh and if their tactics of buying out all these indy games happens to kill off GoG, meh... at least we're sticking it to the evil Steam store, with it's dumb feature rich store front and earned market share.

When's the last time CD Projekt Red went out and sniped a game on steam a week before release to make it GoG exclusive, undercut a couple of Kickstarter projects that were to be released on Steam and made them exclusives, and then had Piotr Karwowski jump on Twitter to tell consumers that they are limiting their choice of retailers for their own good and the good of developers?

Sweeney brings this on himself.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Jun 27, 2019, 12:09
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 12:09
Jun 27, 2019, 12:09

Hopefully that's one of the main takeaways that people get from this: buy on Gog, FFS.

*Disclaimer: I buy everything I can on Gog, instead of any other platform.

Jun 27, 2019, 10:51
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 10:51
Jun 27, 2019, 10:51

Jun 27, 2019, 10:14
Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 10:14
Jun 27, 2019, 10:14

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 08:41:
Um, I know that and that's pretty much exactly what I said. The "recoup" part obviously happens a lot SOONER if the publisher gets a HIGHER cut, i.e. if LESS money goes to the middle man.
So, the SOONER the publisher breaks even, the sooner the dev sees royalty money so, yeah, the developer benefits from EGS' lower cut even in a classic dev/publisher relationship.

I never talked about "renegotiating" deals so it'd be great to not put words in my mouth. I talked about negotiating deals, i.e. when a developer finds a publisher and they negotiate a deal.

If the EGS split (either due to EGS' rising popularity or other stores matching EGS) becomes more common it gives devs an OPPORTUNITY (my exact words) to maybe use that as leverage in negotiations. There are no guarantees in life for nothing except death.

The EGS is creating opportunities for developers, e.g. the opportunity to get royalties faster because the publisher will lose less money to the middle man or an opportunity to negotiate better contracts.

The first part is "guaranteed" by the way. Less money lost to middle man = faster recoup for publisher = royalties get paid to dev sooner is all but guaranteed if the publisher plays honest.

There's literally zero data to backup the assertion that publishers are currently or will in the future, give developers better royalty splits due to the 88/12 EGS split and exclusivity. Zero.

There's also zero evidence so far that taking a year long EGS exclusivity deal will cause a game to sell quicker, and get royalties in the hands of the developers quicker. Zero.

You can and Sweeney both can speculate that it should/will happen, but but for any game that's currently an EGS exclusive, those publisher agreements were signed long ago, and those devs are already locked into publisher agreements, and will most likely take longer to see royalties since the game is only being sold on EGS, and by the time it hits other outlets, will be marked down considerably.

Publishers write those agreements in their favor, that's why they make insane amounts of profits, and studios end up shutting down when games don't "sell as well as expected". They have zero business incentive to give developers a better royalty agreement due to EGS exclusivity payments.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
184 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older