Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact

A lengthy series of tweets from Tim Sweeney looks to address some of the concerns gamers have expressed over Epic Games Store exclusives and other issues:

This question gets to the core of Epic’s strategy for competing with dominant storefronts. We believe exclusives are the only strategy that will change the 70/30 status quo at a large enough scale to permanently affect the whole game industry.

For example, after years of great work by independent stores (excluding big publishers like EA-Activision-Ubi), none seem to have reached 5% of Steam’s scale. Nearly all have more features than Epic; and the ability to discount games is limited by various external pressures.

This leads to the strategy of exclusives which, though unpopular with dedicated Steam gamers, do work, as established by the major publisher storefronts and by the key Epic Games store releases compared to their former Steam revenue projections and their actual console sales.

In judging whether a disruptive move like this is reasonable in gaming, I suggest considering two questions: Is the solution proportionate to the problem it addresses, and are gamers likely benefit from the end goal if it’s ultimately achieved?

The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the developer who built the game that’s sold. This is a disastrous situation for developers and publishers alike, so I believe the strategy of exclusives is proportionate to the problem.

If the Epic strategy either succeeds in building a second major storefront for PC games with an 88/12 revenue split, or even just leads other stores to significantly improve their terms, the result will be a major wave of reinvestment in game development and a lowering of costs.

Will the resulting 18% increase in developer and publisher revenue benefit gamers? Such gains are generally split among (1) reinvestment, (2) profit, and (3) price reduction. The more games are competing with each other, the more likely the proceeds are to go to (1) and (3).

So I believe this approach passes the test of ultimately benefitting gamers after game storefronts have rebalanced and developers have reinvested more of their fruits of their labor into creation rather than taxation.

Of course, there are LOTS of challenges along the way, and Epic is fully committed to solving all problems that arise for gamers are for our partners as the Epic Games store grows.

View
184 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

184. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jul 3, 2019, 12:50 chickenboo

yeah i don't buy for a minute that the increased split is going to result in better games. all this will change is budgets will be decreased because the forecasted revenue will bank on the 88/12 split rather than 70/30. "Oh, you plan on collecting 88% of revenue instead of 70%? then we can reduce the budget to make the game by 18%."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

183. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jul 1, 2019, 11:04 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 10:54:
Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 17:48:
Yeah, I know, I said that's one issue.
But you CAN buy EGS keys on Humble Bundle. It's a live feature, but it requires the publisher to work with these stores to provide keys. It isn't Epic holding them back. Borderlands 3 is for preorder on GMG right now. And here it is on the Humble Store. Most of the other games they carry are available on multiple platforms, but not listed on GMG for any (including Steam.)

I was not aware they've been opening up key sales through other stores, which has been one of my big problems with EGS. If they can get a backup solution going the whole thing will be far more palatable for me.

I assume that, when this is solved for and publishers put EGS keys on these sites, it'll all be gravy and there will be no complaints. But from what I understand, neither publishers nor GMG are rushing for this, because it requires a site overhaul on GMG to let people pick which DRM they want, and the demand is currently so low that they're not interested in building it out. Similarly, publishers provide Steam keys to GMG, but aren't super excited to also create a process for EGS keys, since again, far less demand.

Yeah that makes sense.

I mean, I'm not saying it's perfect, or happening in a reasonable manner, just that those angry or fearful shouldn't be angry or fearful.

Those that are irked or annoyed, sure, reasonable. I get that I'm reacting to the worst reactions, but it feels like so many gaming sites aren't "well, this sucks" but more "fuck those greedy assholes, they're going to ruin the game I want to play that isn't even announced yet, I hope they all get nuked!" Getting to something better (i.e., a two-store system in this case) often requires a period of adjustment where things are briefly worse. If Epic truly makes this brief, that's awesome. I think we're still in that window, and appreciate that they're so clear with their roadmap.

But since we're on it, if they're throwing cash around, why not pay GMG to become an EGS key vendor?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

182. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jul 1, 2019, 10:54 Creston

But you CAN buy EGS keys on Humble Bundle. It's a live feature, but it requires the publisher to work with these stores to provide keys. It isn't Epic holding them back. Borderlands 3 is for preorder on GMG right now. And here it is on the Humble Store. Most of the other games they carry are available on multiple platforms, but not listed on GMG for any (including Steam.)

I was not aware they've been opening up key sales through other stores, which has been one of my big problems with EGS. If they can get a backup solution going the whole thing will be far more palatable for me.

I assume that, when this is solved for and publishers put EGS keys on these sites, it'll all be gravy and there will be no complaints. But from what I understand, neither publishers nor GMG are rushing for this, because it requires a site overhaul on GMG to let people pick which DRM they want, and the demand is currently so low that they're not interested in building it out. Similarly, publishers provide Steam keys to GMG, but aren't super excited to also create a process for EGS keys, since again, far less demand.

Yeah that makes sense.

181. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 30, 2019, 13:20 FloorPie

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 17:29:
Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 09:00:
Right now, the only real loss is "choice," which I don't think we ever really had with Steam (the choice was Steam or Steam), and hypothetical future losses, which we have no reason yet to assume will actually come true.

Except that you could buy Steam games pretty much everywhere. Other than during summer/winter sales, I never buy anything at Steam, I always buy it at GMG.

Can I still buy games for 25% off at GMG if they're exclusive at EGS? Nope. God, all these benefits I'm getting from Tim Sweeney & Crew, they're getting overwhelming. I should make a list!

Meh, still no Satisfactory for sale on HB.

Also, shill.

180. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 18:27 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 17:14:
Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 10:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 05:37:
Man, that Morning Metaverse thread was cray-cray.

Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 13:44:
Please everybody, vote all these fucking Incumbents out of office at the next election(s).

And then we "drained the swamp..." Ha!

Jesus, do you have all these comments bookmarked or something? How do you even find all that years-old shit??

Jdreyer found it, so I had to. Wanted to see what he called crazy.
That comment wasn't meant to call you out, just funny seeing pre trump posts.

-------------

179. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 17:56 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 17:14:

Please everybody, vote all these fucking Incumbents out of office at the next election(s).

Jesus, do you have all these comments bookmarked or something? How do you even find all that years-old shit??
L337 search skills or photographic mammary

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

178. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 17:14 Creston

177. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 10:37 Beamer

-------------

176. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 10:07 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 07:44:
I don't think we could put up those kinds of numbers anymore like that E:D thread. I think the lack of mobile optimization/SEO is slowly killing the BBS here, not sure about the actual traffic numbers for the rest of the site. We're not even in the top10 results anymore for PC gaming news and similar search terms. I can't remember when Google started Amp but it seems like around that time and they eventually started pushing it hard in 2017 with preferential placement. I personally check the site a lot less than I used to - busier with work/family than when I was younger and I do a lot of browsing on the go now with my phone and its much more cumbersome. I suspect others are in the same boat.

But who knows, maybe one day Star Citizen will ship and we'll explode

I think one like the E:D one is *possible*. That was an ongoing discussion among a few of the regulars. What's less likely is one like the Morning Metaverse one. Blue won't be as patient about letting a political thread going on for 800 comments. Also, haven't seen rollnthundr 'round these parts for a spell.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

175. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 07:44 Verno

I don't think we could put up those kinds of numbers anymore like that E:D thread. I think the lack of mobile optimization/SEO is slowly killing the BBS here, not sure about the actual traffic numbers for the rest of the site. We're not even in the top10 results anymore for PC gaming news and similar search terms. I can't remember when Google started Amp but it seems like around that time and they eventually started pushing it hard in 2017 with preferential placement. I personally check the site a lot less than I used to - busier with work/family than when I was younger and I do a lot of browsing on the go now with my phone and its much more cumbersome. I suspect others are in the same boat.

But who knows, maybe one day Star Citizen will ship and we'll explode

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

174. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 05:37 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

173. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 29, 2019, 05:03 jdreyer

173 Comments is nothing. NOTHING!

Top Threads at Blues:

1182 Elite Dangerous Ships
879 Morning Metaverse
680 Out of the Blue
654 More on the WTC
537 Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2
447 Battlefield 2 Demo
428 America's Army Demo
412 Out of the Blue
411 CoD Demo Open Letter
391 Diablo III Details

172. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 19:15 Drayth

Tim Sweeny says it's Valve's fault backers won't get Shenmue 3 Steam keys.  

171. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 17:48 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 17:29:
Right now, the only real loss is "choice," which I don't think we ever really had with Steam (the choice was Steam or Steam), and hypothetical future losses, which we have no reason yet to assume will actually come true.

Except that you could buy Steam games pretty much everywhere. Other than during summer/winter sales, I never buy anything at Steam, I always buy it at GMG.

Can I still buy games for 25% off at GMG if they're exclusive at EGS? Nope. God, all these benefits I'm getting from Tim Sweeney & Crew, they're getting overwhelming. I should make a list!

-------------

170. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 17:29 Creston

169. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 16:12 Simon Says

Gamers Don't Understand Revenue Splits, and Other Nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWBM0y2DY0

To everyone complaining about Steam's cut:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/b9i4yd/to_everyone_complaining_about_steams_cut_please/

168. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 12:14 RedEye9

Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 11:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 09:27:
Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 08:48:

The funny thing is that the people who are arguing for EGS are actually more concerned with hurting Valve for not making games anymore than they are for "better stuff for everyone". They believe that Valve will be pushed into making games again if Epic's Store takes off.
What odd takeaways from this thread.

Please point out the "hurting" valve posts because they're news to me.
As for thinking that storefront competition will push valve into making games again, well that's just laughable.

This from a previous thread on the topic

This is one of Slick's rants from a previous thread. It's pretty clear what his priorities are.
"the people" turns into a single sentence in one 2 month old post that you took out of context. ok, you win.

slick said he had an rss feed set to trigger on shill so here goes.

Shill shill SHILL, we'll see if the batcall err slickcall works and if he wants to clarify the statement.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

167. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 11:39 Beamer

Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2019, 11:37:

The funny thing is that the people who are arguing for EGS are actually more concerned with hurting Valve for not making games anymore than they are for "better stuff for everyone". They believe that Valve will be pushed into making games again if Epic's Store takes off.

As for thinking that storefront competition will push valve into making games again, well that's just laughable.

This is one of Slick's rants from a previous thread. It's pretty clear what his priorities are.

Question and answer.
Yeah, definitely there.

-------------

166. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 11:37 Slashman

165. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 28, 2019, 09:27 RedEye9

184 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo