Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2019, 05:03 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:53:
Xero wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 13:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 13:00:
Amazon - Yesterday I buy a ball cap online from them. Right after the transaction I think to myself, wow someone is going to hand delivery me a single ball cap on Thursday. In the past it was a drive to the store to buy many things including the cap. Cool this exists... however is it efficient and good for environment when each product gets its own personal delivery???

I'm pretty sure the truck that is going to deliver that cap is full of plenty of other shiiiiieeeet so they aren't wasting gas in a truck to deliver just you that cap.

You'd be surprised some of the things facilities have done to keep the customer promise. And I mean REALLY surprised.

OH? Do tell!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2019, 05:02 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:52:
Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 13:34:
Amazon - Yesterday I buy a ball cap online from them. Right after the transaction I think to myself, wow someone is going to hand delivery me a single ball cap on Thursday. In the past it was a drive to the store to buy many things including the cap. Cool this exists... however is it efficient and good for environment when each product gets its own personal delivery???

What's better: one deliver truck out delivering hundreds of things, or hundreds of cars out picking up one thing each?

What about all the re-attempts for delivery because people aren't available? Then there's the inefficient packaging… example:

I bought some software off Amazon, no media, just a code. They shipped me a box big enough to fit a couple dozen Bluray movies. Inside that was a single box, which contained nothing but a piece of paper with my code.

As a consumer, this was my cheapest/easiest option for me to get a code (besides pirating). And yet, it carried the highest environmental impact because of these inefficiencies.

They don't re-deliver any longer. They just leave it on the doorstep. Where someone steals it, and you have to re-order.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 21:55 The Half Elf

theglaze wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:52:

What's better: one deliver truck out delivering hundreds of things, or hundreds of cars out picking up one thing each?

What about all the re-attempts for delivery because people aren't available? Then there's the inefficient packaging… example:

I bought some software off Amazon, no media, just a code. They shipped me a box big enough to fit a couple dozen Bluray movies. Inside that was a single box, which contained nothing but a piece of paper with my code.

As a consumer, this was my cheapest/easiest option for me to get a code (besides pirating). And yet, it carried the highest environmental impact because of these inefficiencies.

Honestly you'd probably wanted to get the box verses the envelope as envelopes with just a piece of paper tend to get "eaten" in the sort centers sorta like how a washer/dryer eats a sock.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 21:53 The Half Elf

Xero wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 13:31:

I'm pretty sure the truck that is going to deliver that cap is full of plenty of other shiiiiieeeet so they aren't wasting gas in a truck to deliver just you that cap.

You'd be surprised some of the things facilities have done to keep the customer promise. And I mean REALLY surprised.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 15:52 theglaze

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 15:35 Burrito of Peace

The Aristocrats!

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 13:34 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 13:31 Xero

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 13:00 HorrorScope

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2019, 12:52 RedEye9

Just imagine Mexican robots. Build that Wall NOW.  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo