Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Diablo 4 Speculation

Blizzard now has job listings for a Lead Character Artist and a Lead Concept Artist for an "unannounced project" that's listed under the "Diablo Irvine" heading. PCGamesN also has word via French publication that says this may be for Diablo 4, and that the next full installment in the action/RPG series may be further along than those positions imply, as they offer the following translation of their report:

... Blizzard Entertainment teams have already had the right to a presentation of the highly anticipated Diablo 4 and know that a new Overwatch is in the pipes. But none will come out before 2020, at best.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 27, 2019, 16:00 chickenboo

i don't care about diablo 4. didn't even play diablo 3. i just want a diablo 2 remaster!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 26, 2019, 03:46 MoonSpook

Sacrifex wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 11:21:
I'm not sure Blizzard is in the position to make anything that is going to be worthy of the Diablo brand these days. They're lodged under the thumb of Activision, so, what would we be looking at as almost certain?

- Creating a campaign that will follow up one so bad that it was basically patched out of the game (effectively) by Adventure mode in Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. Oh, and, under a regime that has started removing campaign modes from their games. A real recipe for quality.

- Grotesque horror themes are going to push away some users - it should have a more accessible feel to ensure maximum purchasing audience. Definitely going to soften the tone further.

- They're not going to want to retcon the entire plot from 3, so, we have to continue from the mess that is now the Diablo story universe, unless it's a prequel. And, yes, I know I already mentioned plot. It was that bad. In an ARPG it shouldn't even matter - it was so bad in Diablo 3 that it matters twice.

- Activision isn't going to want them taking risks - who cares if the genre has seen notable improvements and refinements from the likes of PoE, Grim Dawn, etc... we're looking at more of the same formula, likely simplified further. Diablo 3 was already pretty heavy handed in cuts from D2, could you imagine a cut back Diablo 3 system?

- While we'll almost certainly not see full Activision greed, Blizzard has shown that they're not above selling anything without a stat-point attached these days. Expect more micro-transactions than you can swing a Loot Box at if you want to look cool - and a full retail price to go along with them. Maybe sell us some character slots while they're at it.

- It can't be marketed as an E-sport, so, expect minimal after the sale content/support.

- ...Unless they make it a true live service (Which could fit why they are not ruling out hiring a Lead Character Artist and Lead Concept Artist for a game which is not even ruling out a 2020 launch). If it fails like D3 did at first? Go ask the Anthem player-base how that feels.

I loved the Diablo franchise, but, at this point the horse is dead. If you really want to come out and bludgeon it a few more times, just don't expect us to show up to watch.

Whilst I'm not commenting on what might happen with D4, it's worth pointing out that Activision don't own Blizzard and aren't subject to their whims. They (Activision and Blizzard) partnered up to create a stock-holding company, under which Blizzard, Activision and King Games are independent dev companies (along with MLG esports). You can check the wiki link below and a Blizzard CM confirms it in the second link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/activision-and-blizzard-relationship/68419/26

I know it's popular to bemoan the big bad Bobby Kotick for ruining Blizzard games etc, but it's not actually true, as much as the internet tries to make it so. It's Blizzard themselves that're losing their way.. either that, or it's shareholders that're putting the pressure on to change things for the worse.

25. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 12:35 HorrorScope

Being Blizzard they can still make a standard variant Diablo edition and do well. They have lost some gleam, but they can still get away with releasing something not fresh and still do quite well.

Otherwise I would say using the classic Diablo formula, Path of Exile imo pretty much owns that and their game will only get better by adding more content and mechanics from now until people simply stop giving them dollars.

Every three months brings a new league and that won't change, that is where they are making their money. What that does is brings new content and mechanics to the players, some of those mechanics become part of the base 10-Act game for new players or people wanting to run a new character through. So their 10 Act starting point will always be expanding which is cool, last time I played was I think right before Act 3 was released, today that base Standard game has much more going on because of how they've add content. As they have said, this game is built to be updated forever.

They are also working on update v2.0 which in their words is to combat Diablo 4's release. For your Diablo itch, I can't see too many people being turned off by PoE, sure some exist, but one can argue PoE's setup is what Diablo 3 should have been. If anything I hope D4 takes many leads from PoE in general design.

That said, it would be nice if Diablo were to bring some new mechanics to the genre, but make no mistake there are people that want no change to it. The goal here is to build a spreadsheet character that can mow down all opponents as fast as possible, to get from point A to point B faster than anyone else. That is the game. Make THEE BEST facerolling character possible and going into slower more story, more mechanics will have a backlash.

24. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 11:57 Muscular Beaver

Xero wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 11:09:
It's weird because I feel like Diablo 3 isn't even that old when compared to waiting from Diablo 2 to 3.

Diablo is always one of those games that is crazy addicting in the beginning but once you max out a character, it's just a grind for that next shiny piece of armor or sword that ultimately means nothing. A patch later they introduce the next big fancy new shiny item and the last one is old news. It's a rinse and repeat formula but I know a lot of people love it.
Yep, same here. Its weird. But when I look at my monitor, which I bought for D3, it has a lot of clouding and other crap that shows its age. Then I remember its 7 years ago.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

23. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 11:21 Sacrifex

I'm not sure Blizzard is in the position to make anything that is going to be worthy of the Diablo brand these days. They're lodged under the thumb of Activision, so, what would we be looking at as almost certain?

- Creating a campaign that will follow up one so bad that it was basically patched out of the game (effectively) by Adventure mode in Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. Oh, and, under a regime that has started removing campaign modes from their games. A real recipe for quality.

- Grotesque horror themes are going to push away some users - it should have a more accessible feel to ensure maximum purchasing audience. Definitely going to soften the tone further.

- They're not going to want to retcon the entire plot from 3, so, we have to continue from the mess that is now the Diablo story universe, unless it's a prequel. And, yes, I know I already mentioned plot. It was that bad. In an ARPG it shouldn't even matter - it was so bad in Diablo 3 that it matters twice.

- Activision isn't going to want them taking risks - who cares if the genre has seen notable improvements and refinements from the likes of PoE, Grim Dawn, etc... we're looking at more of the same formula, likely simplified further. Diablo 3 was already pretty heavy handed in cuts from D2, could you imagine a cut back Diablo 3 system?

- While we'll almost certainly not see full Activision greed, Blizzard has shown that they're not above selling anything without a stat-point attached these days. Expect more micro-transactions than you can swing a Loot Box at if you want to look cool - and a full retail price to go along with them. Maybe sell us some character slots while they're at it.

- It can't be marketed as an E-sport, so, expect minimal after the sale content/support.

- ...Unless they make it a true live service (Which could fit why they are not ruling out hiring a Lead Character Artist and Lead Concept Artist for a game which is not even ruling out a 2020 launch). If it fails like D3 did at first? Go ask the Anthem player-base how that feels.

I loved the Diablo franchise, but, at this point the horse is dead. If you really want to come out and bludgeon it a few more times, just don't expect us to show up to watch.

22. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 11:09 Xero

It's weird because I feel like Diablo 3 isn't even that old when compared to waiting from Diablo 2 to 3.

Diablo is always one of those games that is crazy addicting in the beginning but once you max out a character, it's just a grind for that next shiny piece of armor or sword that ultimately means nothing. A patch later they introduce the next big fancy new shiny item and the last one is old news. It's a rinse and repeat formula but I know a lot of people love it.

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

21. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 07:17 Simon Says

I for one am looking forward to D4. I couldn't stand PoE's stupid systems. I tried 3 times to get into this game and got bored each and every time in mere hours.

I'd prefer a true Dungeon Siege 2 sequel tho, DS3 was uber crap.

20. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 06:24 Mr. Tact

shitty wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 02:12:
Diablo 1 release date: 12-31-1996
Diablo 2 release date: 06-21-2000
Diablo 3 release date: 05-15-2012
Diablo 4 release date: around 2021...................................
are you fucking serious?.............................................
Their release frequency kicks the hell out of Valve's....

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 04:33 Avus

I have NO DESIRE to play Diablo anymore. My Diablo itch had been replaced by Titan Quest after Diablo II and PoE after Titan Quest. And with the CONSTANT content updates for PoE, I really don't need Diablo.

I have grown out of Blizzard after Warcraft III and Diablo II. Zero interest in Overwatch, Heartstone and Heroes of the Storm.

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

18. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 04:22 Muscular Beaver

I wish they would go back to the roots. Make it highly story based, scare the shit out of people, make it DARK DARK DARK, HOPELESS again.
But I guess the kids are the main target nowadays... so it will be another boring clickfest... truly hopeless.

Did anyone ever read the awesome story that came with the Diablo 1 box? I think not...

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

17. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 02:37 El Pit

Diablo for Mobile - this is what they mean. Somebody heard it and understood Diablo 4 (Mobile).  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

16. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 02:12 shitty

Diablo 1 release date: 12-31-1996
Diablo 2 release date: 06-21-2000
Diablo 3 release date: 05-15-2012
Diablo 4 release date: around 2021...................................
are you fucking serious?.............................................

15. Re: Morning Patches Jun 25, 2019, 01:51 TheBigVlad

Rehire Matt Uleman to do the soundtrack and I'll buy it for that alone. Also it would be nice if they hired actual writers. The ridiculous dialog and storytelling in Diablo 3 made me laugh out loud so often that it kind of killed the mood. It's supposed to be dark, gothic, and gritty. But it was just goofy as hell.  

14. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 25, 2019, 00:24 Tipsy McStagger

With how bad Diablo 3 was... I'll be excited when I hear it's done by Grinding Gear Games... (They make path of exile)

13. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 22:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 20:27:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 20:17:
Diablo 4 by mid-2025, is what they're saying.

Better reserve my ticket on the hype train, SM0k3!
"They"? Did Blizzard say that, or that's just the general consensus on the Internet? Whatever the case, I certainly wouldn't expect it prior to 2022.

I was mostly joking; to be clear I have no source other than prior experience with Blizzard release schedules.

Don't get me wrong; whenever it actually does come out, I'll probably at least look at it, unless it's a mobile game.

12. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 21:25 Steele Johnson

If they’re planning on making another Diablo, then they’ll have to reinvent the genre because that’s good ‘n dead. RTS hasn’t been all that popular over the past 5 years either. Oh, and traditional mmorpgs have been long gone for years (they share some of that responsibility). What they got left? Competitive fps and mobile. Ewww  

11. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 21:22 CJ_Parker

SM0k3 wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 20:03:
time to fuel up the hype train again?

What for? For another lame casual clickfest?

Nope. Blizz would have to knock it out of the park and reinvent the genre for me to give a shit. And they won't do that. In spite of their cash they always play it safe and the only innovation will be in the monetization (cuz the RMAH worked out so well).

It's 2019. If they want me to care about a new Diablo game then they would have to create a world that is highly reactive and interactive with lots of dynamic content, destructible environments, creativity galore in the design of the world and the monsters, yada, yada, yada... they are Blizzard and they do (in theory) have the means to create something truly unique.

If I just wanted another Diablo then I'd play Grim Dawn or Path of Exile for fucking FREE. Blizzard would have to UP their game BIG TIME for even a spark of hype to ignite. Not gonna happen though, as I said... Diablo 3 (after the shutdown of the RMAH and loot patch 2.0) = Diablo 2.5 and Diablo 4 will be Diablo 2.6 with a likelihood of 99.9%.

10. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 20:51 Pigeon

Now with crypto coin loot box auction house.  

9. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 20:27 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 20:17:
Diablo 4 by mid-2025, is what they're saying.

Better reserve my ticket on the hype train, SM0k3!
"They"? Did Blizzard say that, or that's just the general consensus on the Internet? Whatever the case, I certainly wouldn't expect it prior to 2022.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 20:19 Cram

I hope a whole bunch of people cosplay as a phone for the opening ceremony and make themselves seen during whatever Blizzard announce. If anything.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo