They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty

In a post on Steam, Numantian Games reveals plans to update They Are Billions to lower the difficulty level for the campaign in their just-released survival strategy game based on user feedback (thanks Eurogamer). There are other changes coming soon in a version 1.05 patch, but the portion quoted below covers these difficulty issues:
Here we made a mistake when leaving the Challenging mode as the default difficulty level. In addition, many players haven’t noticed the small screen of difficulty level that appears on the Missions screen and are not aware that you can change the level of difficulty at any time.

Improvement 1: Now the default mode is Accessible, which maintains a good level of challenge and is more progressive than the Challenging. Also, now when playing the first mission you will see the difficulty window explaining this functionality.

Improvement 2: The general difficulty of the first missions has been lowered a bit so that it is something more accessible, especially for first-time players

Time Limit in Misiones
Some missions have a time limit because the challenge lies in getting a colony of certain characteristics within that time frame. It seems that this limit has taken many people by surprise or is simply too short for less experienced players.

Improvement: So, we have removed the limit in the first missions and expanded generously in all the others. It should no longer be a problem, but we will continue to listen to your feedback and make further adjustments if necessary.
View : : :

Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
Jun 25, 2019, 04:29
Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 25, 2019, 04:29
Jun 25, 2019, 04:29

FloorPie wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 14:54:
I cant get motivated to try the campaign from what I've seen and read. Its one thing to have no saves, iron-man on survival mode of the game but to do the same for the campaign is just trying to extend the life of the game. Which makes little sense as the life of the game is going to be in the survival mode and mod support along with the weekly challenges stuff they have for the hardcore players who really are masochists looking for the challenge.

The tech tree limitations where you have to basically restart the whole campaign (no save scumming) if it turns out you made a bad choice is not in any way fun or hard. It is just tedious.

This is from someone who bought the game a year ago, has 20 hours in the surivial mode, no map wins and I still like that part of the game for when I'm in the mood for a rts challenge.

Right now, its worth $20 tops and really only if you want the survival mode and not the campaign.

I get this, and maybe it's not for everyone but having slogged through a 2 hour nightmare last night on the beach mission I would not ever trade the tension and fear for the convenience of save scumming/checkpoints. It would be a different game then. Just lower the difficulty if it seems too scary.

The thing about older RTS's is they had to balance the game to be hard knowing users could roll back saves. It made those games kind of oppressive, or at least my beloved AOE2 and Rise of Nations had this issue for me when I played earlier this year. The lack of save points means the Scenario has to be balanced for fairness and it really does feel that way so far. The fact that I lose one now and then is super reasonable and part of the learning experience. If it feels like a waste of time it must be that the game itself isn't fun for you and wouldn't be with save points either.

I'm not sure about the tech tree, I can see how maybe you could proper F yourself, but 40-80 hour 90's and Firaxis Xcom campaigns say hold my beer. I can handle it. We will see if I've done goofed later in the week...
Date
Subject
Author
Jun 23, 2019Jun 23 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 25, 2019Jun 25 2019
    Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019