They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty

In a post on Steam, Numantian Games reveals plans to update They Are Billions to lower the difficulty level for the campaign in their just-released survival strategy game based on user feedback (thanks Eurogamer). There are other changes coming soon in a version 1.05 patch, but the portion quoted below covers these difficulty issues:
Here we made a mistake when leaving the Challenging mode as the default difficulty level. In addition, many players haven’t noticed the small screen of difficulty level that appears on the Missions screen and are not aware that you can change the level of difficulty at any time.

Improvement 1: Now the default mode is Accessible, which maintains a good level of challenge and is more progressive than the Challenging. Also, now when playing the first mission you will see the difficulty window explaining this functionality.

Improvement 2: The general difficulty of the first missions has been lowered a bit so that it is something more accessible, especially for first-time players

Time Limit in Misiones
Some missions have a time limit because the challenge lies in getting a colony of certain characteristics within that time frame. It seems that this limit has taken many people by surprise or is simply too short for less experienced players.

Improvement: So, we have removed the limit in the first missions and expanded generously in all the others. It should no longer be a problem, but we will continue to listen to your feedback and make further adjustments if necessary.
View : : :

Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
Jun 24, 2019, 05:48
Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 05:48
Jun 24, 2019, 05:48

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 22:59:
I'm 10 or 12 missions in to the campaign so far (about the same number of hours), it seems I've barely scratched the surface based on my progress with the tech tree and across the world map, but it's pretty awesome! I love the blend of base-building and tactical missions, and the overall progression is satisfying. It's a great introduction to the game, too, because you start out with only basic units and buildings, then unlock new stuff slowly as you go. I'm sure that's a lot easier to swallow for newcomers compared to survival mode, where everything is thrown at you at once.

I'd recommend ignoring the bitching and moaning on Steam reviews and forums, though. Most complaints are about the forced 'iron man' mode in regards to saving, as well as the difficulty. These are not new things introduced with the campaign, it's been that way throughout early access and they've been very straightforward in that it's not going to change. This is an intentionally old-school kind of RTS, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. But if that's what you like, GET IT, because it's really good.

I, for one, wholeheartedly support these guys for making a game that is actually challenging and doesn't allow you to save-scum to undo every little mistake. Sure, you will fuck up while learning the game and you will fail some missions... But apparently that's not okay for a lot of people. They can't stand "wasting their time," as if playing the game itself is no fun at all if it ends in a loss. And yet they also refuse to lower the difficulty (and reduce their meaningless score) out of some weird sense of pride. So it's a catch-22 of modern gamer idiocy.

Yep. You can drop the difficulty down to easy, no problem. That it's still not an auto-win is fine. The whole idea of the game is that one infected zombie can destroy a colony if you have holes in your defense. Save scumming ruins this so why would they put it in?

Real problems, like the hokey voice acting, are something one gets used to.

I'm starting to think Epic has the right idea not putting in steam reviews or forums. The mob is mostly idiots most of the time.

Whoever is having trouble finding the pickups in the adventure missions, you get used to it. Not all boxes/materials are lootable. And some are hidden away, look for cracks in walls and barely visible gaps in tress and you will 100% both each time. My one complaint other than voice acting is that these missions struggle to be super compelling, though there have been some fun rooms! But each seems better than the last so maybe that will work out. Actual mission design in general for the other scenarios already seems more modern, freeform and fun than anything in the 90's.

It's so good. If it wasn't for discovering Opus Magnum on PC gamepass I'd be mainlining it.
Date
Subject
Author
Jun 23, 2019Jun 23 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
 Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019
Jun 25, 2019Jun 25 2019
Jun 24, 2019Jun 24 2019