Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Safety Dance

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Epic privacy fail: WeTransfer shared its users' files with the wrong people. Jun 24, 2019, 16:22 Riahderymnmaddog

Not surprised to see Epic have a security breach.. That's why I use Steam.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 24, 2019, 14:08 Verno

Or just go the self hosted route. If you don't want to DIY then you can get something like this. Seems like a steep price off the cuff but think about what your time/data are worth. I've been tempted to get one of those a few times now and still might in the future.  

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 24, 2019, 13:01 4D-Boxing

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 12:28:
chickenboo wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 11:49:
On my Andriod phone, I use Firefox for the majority of browsing, and launch Firefox Focus for web searches. I've been thinking about switching away from gmail though.
Where would you go, protonmail?

That's exactly what i did. I use my phone like chickenboo and don't have a gmail account on it. Firefox with uMatrix, disconnect, ublock, cookie auto delete, vpn extensions etc.

I only use an old gmail account to run updates once a week and remove it when done. I don't use any app that requires a google account. That being said, wear os doesn't allow me to remove the account anymore, but I use a 3rd party app to access all my email accounts on the smartwatch. No google assistant or whatever it's called, no google fit, location is always disabled.

11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 24, 2019, 12:28 RedEye9

chickenboo wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 11:49:
On my Andriod phone, I use Firefox for the majority of browsing, and launch Firefox Focus for web searches. I've been thinking about switching away from gmail though.
Where would you go, protonmail?

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 24, 2019, 11:49 chickenboo

9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 22, 2019, 22:29 ForgedReality

I never liked Chrome anyway. No big loss. I've also switched to DuckDuckGo almost exclusively.  

8. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 20:37 Verno

Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 19:23:
Nimh wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:13:
Apple devices are supported far longer than any Android phone. Kinda makes the price a wash.

We have $200 android phones that are 6 years old at work, and they still get updates.

When does this price wash thing start?

Which $200 Android phones still get updates 6 years later? Which Android device at all get updates 6 years later? The fucking Nvidia Shield is better supported than most Android phones bwhahaha. Google now charges Apple prices for their own phones and gives shittier support. Samsung and etc all do the same. You aren't getting a flagship phone cheap anymore period and most of them have terrible support because of the Android fragmentation nonsense.

Apple actually has the best track record for mobile device support, iPhone 6s just got updated last year. And sure, they were up to some shit 3-4 years ago but the last few major iOS updates went the opposite route. For all of the shit Apple gets here they actually do pretty well by their users for the money.

Playing: Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

7. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 20:34 Nimh

Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 19:23:
Apple devices are supported far longer than any Android phone. Kinda makes the price a wash.

We have $200 android phones that are 6 years old at work, and they still get updates.

So you’re saying KitKat/Lollipop devices are currently getting OS updates? Burden of proof is on you my friend...

6. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 19:23 Osc8r

5. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 18:11 Nimh

jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 16:54:

What I think you mean is that Apple devices are supported for two years at which point they slow iOS down to a crawl for all but the most recent phones. Planned obsolescence.

That was the complaint with ios 11, (so far) hasn't happened since. I'd still take a slower phone with security updates, than yet another abandoned Android product.

4. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 16:54 jdreyer

What I think you mean is that Apple devices are supported for two years at which point they slow iOS down to a crawl for all but the most recent phones. Planned obsolescence.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 16:06 MeanJim

Hasn't Chrome always been spyware?  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 15:13 Nimh

1. Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 15:00 Burrito of Peace

At this point, if you're using any Google product (minus Android because, let's be honest, are you really going to use an iPhone at a ridiculous markup and their shitty iTunes to manage it on your average user's PC), you are one of two kinds of people: an idiot or you just don't give a shit about your privacy. One does not preclude the other.

When I asked, I either recommend Firefox or Brave. On mobile, my only suggestion is to download DuckDuckGo's app and use it since it is privacy oriented and doubles as both a search engine and a web browser.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo