Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 21:51 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:11:
if you are more brave than I, BTRFS
You can't leave us hanging like that.
Does BTFRS require daily blood lettings, or is it a too much of a "too good to be true" type of thing.
I'm off to google it.

edit
nvrmnd. "marked stable since 2014" was all i needed to know.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs

You should really look up how stable it is on RAID configurations.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 15:21 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:11:
if you are more brave than I, BTRFS
You can't leave us hanging like that.
Does BTFRS require daily blood lettings, or is it a too much of a "too good to be true" type of thing.
I'm off to google it.

edit
nvrmnd. "marked stable since 2014" was all i needed to know.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 15:11 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:01:
A HDD is entropic and WILL decay your data.

Again, you are incorrect here as well. An HDD that is not abused will, with proper data management and care, last for decades without data degradation. The mechanics of a hard drive do not cause data corruption or loss barring an actual failure of the head itself.

Case in point, Mrs. Burrito and I are going through our stuff to pitch before our eventual move. I came across a SATA HDD (a Western Digital Raptor drive) with a manufacturing date of 2003. I plugged it in to my cradle and powered it up. I found 15 year old photos of my now deceased dog when she was a puppy. I also found documents and music. All three data types were in no way corrupted and were perfectly viewable, readable, and playable.

Though, your post mentioning using six(!) external hard drives gave me a clue about your usage. Why aren't you using a NAS device to store data? Especially when you could be using something like ZFS or, if you are more brave than I, BTRFS which will actively prevent bit rot and corruption?

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 07:36 Verno

Exactly, but I am mainly excited about it because I could be powering my external "future" storage without a god dang power brick attached to it. 6 external HDD's = 6 plugs ;(

Sometimes people just go looking for a pointless dogpile, don't sweat it. EXCUSE ME SIR BUT YOU MIGHT BE WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 04:40 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 15:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 13:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 12:39:
Nobody commenting on the actual news point?

Our device has an intrinsic data storage time that is predicted to exceed the age of the Universe, yet it can record or delete data using 100 times less energy than DRAM.

Can I make that any more clear? These guys have developed a storage medium that requires 100 !!!! times less power and isn't entropic (power off = data gone). If this replaced RAM and HDD's we wouldn't need giant boxes of shit sitting in our PC, we could have slim sticks and near infinite expandable storage.

Just because it's low power, doesn't mean it's fast.

Of course not, but non volatile memory (which not even a SSD or HDD is) would be absolutely ground-braking no matter it's speed.

No doubt. You were arguing that it would replace RAM. I find that claim unlikely.

Actually he didn't say it would, he said "if it replaced". He was just being speculative and slightly excited about new tech. We've all been there before, yourself included.

Speculation is argument. And I didn't say impossible, but unlikely.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 00:24 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:28:

Our device has an intrinsic data storage time that is predicted to exceed the age of the Universe, yet it can record or delete data using 100 times less energy than DRAM.

Can I make that any more clear? These guys have developed a storage medium that requires 100 !!!! times less power and isn't entropic (power off = data gone). If this replaced RAM and HDD's we wouldn't need giant boxes of shit sitting in our PC, we could have slim sticks and near infinite expandable storage.

Of course not, but non volatile memory (which not even a SSD or HDD is) would be absolutely ground-braking no matter it's speed.

No doubt. You were arguing that it would replace RAM. I find that claim unlikely.

Actually he didn't say it would, he said "if it replaced". He was just being speculative and slightly excited about new tech. We've all been there before, yourself included.

Exactly, but I am mainly excited about it because I could be powering my external "future" storage without a god dang power brick attached to it. 6 external HDD's = 6 plugs ;(

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 23:28 Verno

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 23:01 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 18:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 16:43:
If you think a sector on a platter in a HDD is non volatile (or the data stored within for that matter) you need to learn what the english word means.

Hi, electrical engineer here. By definition, storage mediums that do not require continuous power application to retain data are considered and labeled non-volatile. Medium degradation from environmental or mechanical forces do not invalidate the concept of what makes a storage medium volatile and non-volatile.

For example, if I take a brand new hard drive or SSD, store photos of my dog on it, disconnect it from the machine, and put it in a climate controlled storage location for 50 years, then reconnect it to a machine that presumably has an interface to support that drive, the data will still be able to be recalled.

Politely, you need to learn what volatile and non-volatile mean in the field of electrical engineering (which the use of volatile and non-volatile in common parlance when speaking of technology derive) instead of what you think your own idiosyncratic understanding of those two words mean.

I know what your field defines the words as. My jab is at what happens in reality to the data if you believe your fields terminology to apply to reality..

A HDD is entropic and WILL decay your data.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 18:00 Burrito of Peace

If you think a sector on a platter in a HDD is non volatile (or the data stored within for that matter) you need to learn what the english word means.

Hi, electrical engineer here. By definition, storage mediums that do not require continuous power application to retain data are considered and labeled non-volatile. Medium degradation from environmental or mechanical forces do not invalidate the concept of what makes a storage medium volatile and non-volatile.

For example, if I take a brand new hard drive or SSD, store photos of my dog on it, disconnect it from the machine, and put it in a climate controlled storage location for 50 years, then reconnect it to a machine that presumably has an interface to support that drive, the data will still be able to be recalled.

Politely, you need to learn what volatile and non-volatile mean in the field of electrical engineering (which the use of volatile and non-volatile in common parlance when speaking of technology derive) instead of what you think your own idiosyncratic understanding of those two words mean.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 17:19 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 15:48:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-volatile_memory
Examples of non-volatile memory include read-only memory, flash memory, ferroelectric RAM, most types of magnetic computer storage devices (e.g. hard disk drives, solid state drives, floppy disks, and magnetic tape), optical discs, and early computer storage methods such as paper tape and punched cards.

If you think a sector on a platter in a HDD is non volatile (or the data stored within for that matter) you need to learn what the english word means. Magnetic decay on a HDD is the primary reason for corruption. That is very literally the opposite of non-volatile memory. If It decays (as in, corrupts data) it ain't non volatile. Worse, all the things in that article have a decay rate measured in 2-5 decades. That's why we call that transient storage.

None of the things in that wiki article are non volatile storage methods. Chemical, biological and magnetic decay are factors that play into volatility. That is why this is such big news. Data that can be stored non volatile would be a HUGE boon to humanity.
At the rate technology advances it will have the same data retrieval capability as we currently get from the ashes of the Library of Alexandria.

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 17:15 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 16:43 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 15:48:
Examples of non-volatile memory include read-only memory, flash memory, ferroelectric RAM, most types of magnetic computer storage devices (e.g. hard disk drives, solid state drives, floppy disks, and magnetic tape), optical discs, and early computer storage methods such as paper tape and punched cards.

If you think a sector on a platter in a HDD is non volatile (or the data stored within for that matter) you need to learn what the english word means. Magnetic decay on a HDD is the primary reason for corruption. That is very literally the opposite of non-volatile memory. If It decays (as in, corrupts data) it ain't non volatile. Worse, all the things in that article have a decay rate measured in 2-5 decades. That's why we call that transient storage.

None of the things in that wiki article are non volatile storage methods. Chemical, biological and magnetic decay are factors that play into volatility. That is why this is such big news. Data that can be stored non volatile would be a HUGE boon to humanity.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 15:48 RedEye9

- Stephen Hawking

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 15:46 eRe4s3r

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 13:48 RedEye9

Bumpy wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 13:19:
These guys have developed a storage medium that requires 100 !!!! times less power and isn't entropic (power off = data gone).
Sounds too good to be true, there must be a catch.
Sure there is. It's just like that major bump in battery technology that's always right around the corner.
Expect 2 or 3 news releases over the coming year before it totally disappears off the radar.
FYI
I am working on a cold fusion storage cell that also produces electricity and mimics time travel. Anybody seen my cat.

- Stephen Hawking

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 13:47 jdreyer

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 13:19 Bumpy

These guys have developed a storage medium that requires 100 !!!! times less power and isn't entropic (power off = data gone).

Sounds too good to be true, there must be a catch.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 13:11 Simon Says

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 12:22:
Dear I Can't Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10,

Are you dense?
If it doesn't allow you to upgrade, then you won't update.
If you want to change that then you will need to buy another system.

PS: As support for Win7 goes away you get to make the choice do I want to continue on with your device without their support or not.

Mr. Obvious

Or just install Win 8.1 and enjoy 3 more years...

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 12:39 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2019, 12:22 HorrorScope

Dear I Can't Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10,

Are you dense?
If it doesn't allow you to upgrade, then you won't update.
If you want to change that then you will need to buy another system.

PS: As support for Win7 goes away you get to make the choice do I want to continue on with your device without their support or not.

Mr. Obvious

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo