Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Now that we have a move-in date of one week from today for the new BlueTower, I've set out to get details like our Internet service worked out. I was already aware I would not be able to get Fios in our new location, but it turns out my impression we'd be getting Optimum Online/Cablevision was not correct. After making some calls, I came to the conclusion we will end up with Comcast/Xfinity as a provider. This is a cause for concern, as they do not have the best reputation, to put it mildly. But this is an oddly non-competitive industry in the U.S., leaving us with no real alternative, so I'll just have to hope for the best. Maybe it's a sign that while I was online investigating this I suffered a brief Internet outage, something that's been extremely rare since we got Fios. This serves as a reminder that you can still have a problem from a reliable provider, so perhaps there's some sort of converse point about being able to have trouble-free performance from an unreliable one. Hey, work with me. I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Optimistic Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Magirune.
FireBlob.
Story: Bomb Squad Called In Northern Westchester After Woman Finds Grenade In Grandfather's House.
Science: One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health, Study Says. Thanks Slashdot.
Meet the Cat-Fox, an Oddball Feline Roaming Around a French Island. Thanks Max.
Scientists make a lifelike robotic fish using multipurpose 'blood'.
Images: Unseen 9/11 photos bought at house clearance sale. Thanks David.
Media: Annoying cut scenes in games.
Multi-Level Marketing Scams - 6-12-2019 Act 2 - Full Frontal.
Fascinating Time Lapse of Storm Downburst.
Auction: Apollo 11 flag, flight plan page, roll of film used on the Moon up for auction.
Follow-up: Meet the New York couple donating millions to the anti-vax movement.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Savage Chickens.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue - ISP quality Jun 21, 2019, 06:58 Jonjonz

I have moved around a lot in life, and have found that the neighborhood, local loop, is the defining factor for quality of service. I have had the same ISP in multiple locations in the same towns, and some neighborhoods had faster and more reliable service while others were problematic. This has been duplicated with many different ISPs in different towns. Asking your potential future neighbors is probably your best bet before buying in.

In the previous town we lived in we had COMCAST/Xfinity. In one neighborhood it was crap, slow and lots of downtime. After we moved to a location closer to the University, it magically got way faster and reliable.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 20:56 SunnyD

bigspender wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 17:20:
One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health, Study Says.

That's what I keep saying to my boss....

Now how we can get a weeks pay for that one day.. c'mon, people. Think!

~Finis~

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 19:07 Mr. Tact

I was a Comcast customer for more than a decade, as they were the only broadband choice. My experience was while their uptime was pretty good, when things did go wrong the customer service was horrendous. As stated by others, YMMV. But I'm glad to no longer be giving them money.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 18:39 Efflixi

For all the hate that Comcast gets, I personally never had an issue until I was moving to somewhere where they did not offer service. They didn't try to keep me (not too hard anyway) but they were convinced I never turned in all their hardware. The only thing I had from them was a cable card. The person behind the counter just simply didn't understand that everything else was my own stuff. They did not understand that with a cable card I was simply using a tuner card in my PC to get TV. They were sure I'd kept my cable box and DVR. Neither of which I'd ever owned/rented/used/etc from them.

My internet was fine through them except when Comcast itself was down (there was a huuuge nation wide outage while I was using them). My TV service (through the cable card) was fine as well. No issues whatsoever once everything was setup.

However, my parents have Comcast as well and it's been a literal nightmare for them. They pay well over $200 a month and can't even get basic customer service that isn't shoddy as hell.

Good luck Blue!

p.s. I am now living in an area that pioneered residential gigabit internet and was the first in the entire world to offer residential 10 gigabit. I now get 90+ megabytes per second speeds from steam with no data caps and no BS. I adore it, I choose where I move based on if they support this ISP or not.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 17:20 bigspender

One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health, Study Says.

That's what I keep saying to my boss....

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 16:57 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 16:25:
subx wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 15:41:
People found to be contributing to the anti-vax stupidity should probably be vacinated against life. For the good of the herd.

For the greater good!

Yarp.
hot fudge

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 16:25 Beamer

subx wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 15:41:
People found to be contributing to the anti-vax stupidity should probably be vacinated against life. For the good of the herd.

For the greater good!

Yarp.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 15:41 subx

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 15:24 PhysicalEd

I too am on Comcast and have had excellent internet service. It really has been quite reliable and is very fast.

Though I also agree that their customer service can be good or bad depending who you happen to get.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 14:10 Pigeon

I've had Comcast for several years, my only real option. Their service has been good, getting the speeds I pay for and then some, very few outages. Their customer service on the other hand ranges from mediocre to sucking a pile of flaming dicks.

The worst incident I had occurred on the Friday of a holiday weekend. The internet went down in the afternoon, but I noticed one of their trucks was there. They're doing work no big deal, I had things to do till late evening anyways. Come evening internet is still down. I call support and impress upon them this only occurred after a Comcast technician had been out. They quote 7 days till they could send someone out. I argued further that the issue should be elevated as it was likely caused by one of their technicians. They stuck to the script 7 days. 7 days rolls around and a technician shows up and gets things working again. He checks with me to make sure my internet is working again and before he leaves I ask what happened. He tells me all the lines to the section of apartments I was in were physically severed. Given that the outage started in the short period of time a technician was out the previous Friday, I would say there is a high degree of certainty they were caused by that other technician. Through malice or incompetence I can't say.

The real kicker is when I called to make sure I wasn't going to be billed for the lost time, and telling them what caused the problem, they were very apologetic and in addition to making sure I wasn't being billed for the lost time they were going to give me a free internet and TV (which I do not have) upgrade for a month. Being the suspicious individual I am, I asked what happened to this free upgrade after the month, to which I was eventually able to get out of them that I would be charged a new, increased, rate for the services. I declined the 'generous' offer.

So the actual service is fine, but they treat you like a wallet with legs they begrudgingly need consent(or not) to remove money from.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 13:18 Hoop

To Xfinity and bey  

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 11:14 Onion

You probably have Frontier as a POTS provider, they might have an option. Not a good option but an option for backup.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 10:48 panbient

Cat-Fox hybrid.... will it become the Cox or the Fat?  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 10:48 Burrito of Peace

Comcast?

Well, I enjoyed Blue's News while it lasted.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 10:39 Bill Borre

Comcast? I'll look forward to your semi-weekly posts.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 10:21 aka_STEVE

Yes , the cable monopolies are ridiculous. I'm not entirely sure how this continues.?
We have 1 "choice" of cable in this entire city for internet. The only option is majorly, slower dsl from a few places or slow, expensive satellite. ... and this is a medium-sized major city I'm in.

Hard to believe...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 RedEye9

Blue, I hope you did your civic duty and promptly review bombed Fios with extreme hyperbole for the brief outage you suffered. #MAEA Make America Entitled Again

As long as you can tether to your phone I should be ok. See how i made this about me.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 09:57 mch

Sorry to hear about Comcast/Xfinity. They definitely deserve their reputation, but I will say that my service has been more reliable in recent years. YMMV.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo