Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I'm recovering from a bit of a backache I recently suffered, so I am thankful to be feeling better. This seems a lesson in the perils of moving, as I think this was probably brought on by lifting things combined with general stress. Of course the way these things often happen, the moment that triggered it was just a normal movement that shouldn't any problems. But it seems logical to connect it to the recent uptick in physical and psychological strain, especially considering how long it's been since I suffered an incident like this. It will be a relief when all this is behind us.

Strained Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Why We Treat Some Animals Like People. Thanks RedEye9.
The Youths Are Bringing CDs Back. Thanks Digg.
Stories: "Thrones" Prequel Series Beings Production.
In Japan, Itís a Riveting TV Plot: Can a Worker Go Home on Time? Thanks Max.
For those with hearing impairments, restaurant noise isnít just an irritation. Itís discrimination.
Science: Type A blood converted to universal donor blood with help from bacterial enzymes. Thanks Max.
The science behind those viral videos of freezing soap bubbles. Thanks Max.
Snail slime inspires reversible, super-strong glue. Thanks Max.
Media: Honest Trailers - MCU.
Its like Liquid Nitrogen - but Fire. Thanks Hypothermia.
Heart felt solo. Thanks Kxmode.
Follow-up: Vaccines: Low trust in vaccination 'a global crisis'.
Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted. Thanks JDreyer.
James Bond director delays filming for video games, infuriates crew: report.
The Funnies: Adult Children.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 20:55 bigspender

SunnyD wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 20:03:
bigspender wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 17:22:
SunnyD wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 02:51:
bigspender wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 00:42:
SunnyD wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 21:28:
..My stuff..

~Finis~

their bits

my bits

I think I understand now. Dinosaurs might be your ancestors, but the rest of us that believe in climate change and want to stop it, evolved from mammals....

Did you really just now suggest that mammals showed up fully formed , and have nothing to do with lizards and dinos in the same breath as showing off how on top of science you are by mentioning climate change in the same sentence?

Okay, we're cool.

Sorry for last nights spew, caffeine and psychotic breaks are a helluva drug, but damn, common core science-in' is living large these days if our common ancestral link amongst most of the lifeforms on this planet is no longer being taught. I'll just drop this here for a quickie update to your brain-pan: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/our-relatives-the-dinosaurs-36503129/

Sorry to break it down to you like this without any padding to soften the blow, but your ancestral group smelt of fish at family gatherings way back in the day before we crawled out of the sea, just like most of the rest of this planets inhabitants. But hey, it's always nice meeting someone from 'not around here'. How was your trip across time and space?

~Finis~

That's a quite a bit different than what you suggested, which was that we evolved from basically a T-Rex.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 20:13 RedEye9

Tries to read thread, checks to make sure pipe is not loaded with psilocybin mushrooms, sees that it's not.
Cries softly and walks away mumbling.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 20:03 SunnyD

bigspender wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 17:22:
..My stuff..

~Finis~

their bits

my bits

I think I understand now. Dinosaurs might be your ancestors, but the rest of us that believe in climate change and want to stop it, evolved from mammals....

Did you really just now suggest that mammals showed up fully formed , and have nothing to do with lizards and dinos in the same breath as showing off how on top of science you are by mentioning climate change in the same sentence?

Okay, we're cool.

Sorry for last nights spew, caffeine and psychotic breaks are a helluva drug, but damn, common core science-in' is living large these days if our common ancestral link amongst most of the lifeforms on this planet is no longer being taught. I'll just drop this here for a quickie update to your brain-pan: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/our-relatives-the-dinosaurs-36503129/

Sorry to break it down to you like this without any padding to soften the blow, but your ancestral group smelt of fish at family gatherings way back in the day before we crawled out of the sea, just like most of the rest of this planets inhabitants. But hey, it's always nice meeting someone from 'not around here'. How was your trip across time and space?

~Finis~

20. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 19:59 SunnyD

(dbl post)

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2019, 20:11.

19. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 17:22 bigspender

..My stuff..

~Finis~

1) nobody is guessing this time around. This isn't some biblical story or prediction. It's been a well established science since the 70s. It's hard numbers. It's like seeing a ball roll towards the end of a table. We all know what happens next.

2) We haven't been here before. The dinosaurs have. And well they aren't around anymore.

3) China is one of the leaders in renewable energy. So you can't point the finger at those places anymore.

4) Doing something bad on purpose, then "owning it" is a way to make yourself feel better about doing the wrong thing. I doubt you'll be "owning it" when one billion people migrate to your country thanks to climate change.

5) Doesn't your diet soda contain aspartame? (it turns into formaldehyde in the blood, which might explain a few of your posts lol)

1. We still have to live with the damage, we lucky few. And they weren't guessing back then, either. Science advances. They were 'right', as they understood it, in a way previous generations didn't. The same way we're 'right' today, and they're wrong, yet our estimates are off by 70+ years just on the question of perma-frost and all the lovely methane adding to the hilarity. And tomorrow we'll have even more info to update our rightness, for all the good it'll do with the damage done already.

2. Rocks hurt. Just ask us after a 6-mile wide one lands on New York. My reference to having been here before are the demonstrable periods in our evolutionary travails to this point where Co2 and heat made for fun times. And what's with the Dino-Racism? They're your ancestors as much as the rodent that ran around their feet that we came from, all of us crawling out of that sea at one time back in the day.

3. My reference to China's air quality is hardly old news. I'll leave it to your enjoyment to google their latest results as to their 'green-ness', but for giggles: https://waqi.info/ Real time, no less. I'd say they still have a ways to go, and we'll be breathing that air until they do. Thanks Jet Stream.

As to #4, perhaps you mis-read, or I mis-englished. I wasn't saying own your polluting. What I meant to put down was own the fact that you are completely boned, but do still keep trying to leave the place better than you found it. That was the bit 'do what you can'.

You are the one tasked with living through this side-show of assholes giving us this world, then asking for Carbon Tax bucks to clean it up. Did you approve factory concentration in another part of the world? I don't remember being asked, but I sure as hell have to put up with the consequences of others making these decisions for me. Had I been asked, no way in hell would the plans have met approval for placing General Electric nuke plants on a sandy shore with an underground mountain-fed river running underneath in an area hilariously historical for its ability to put water further ashore than natives would prefer, with the fun of the more than occasional earthquake tossed in.

As for aspartame, and other food additives of questionable biological use (but hey, money, amirite Rumsfeld and Searle?), I'd just like to drown the assholes with the degrees that approved that crap in giant vats of the stuff, televised. Perhaps with piranha. You can tell I've cooled off about this bit of idiocy of theirs. I've left off the destruction of their dna chains and the public drawing and quartering during the Superbowl half-time show. What can I say, I'm gettin' warm and fuzzy in my older age.

I'm not asking anyone to be happy about this. About the best we can do is make our way through a world where a kinder, gentler creator-type might have given us less psychopathic assholes in charge bringing us to this point with every policy, directive, and approval of the things we call our way of life. How's that bottled water leaching Bp-a -b and -s treating ya these days? I just looooove chemicals that act as oestrogen leeching into my dihydrogen mon-oxide. Hey, pregnant momma, suck it down! And collections of the stuff in any number of places around the world, like say your garbage dump over your water table, or the Indian Ocean, can, does, and will have some quality of life effects for many of us today, but certainly for your kids and those they'll call contemporary's.

And your bit about Aspartame breaking down into formaldehyde in the blood stream, that thing your brain likes to call 'supply of life giving crap' alludes to the gallows humor attempt of mine to draw attention to the fact that 'ALL' of us are in this together, for all that we're trying to do more to clean up than others about the world at this time, apparently. Can't blame them. We made this crap look good as we built our nation up.

Don't mind me. Just going through some of the more interesting Climate Change weather effects of late living in central Tornado Alley. Fried in 109 degree real-feel temps today which segued into 60-70mph straight line possibly tornadic winds. My new normal of late in cen-tex it seems.

Sorry if it comes off as being downish on humanity. I'm with George Carlin on this. It's a great show, with a lot of good folks making their way through what future history books are gonna be calling 'WTF was that all about?!?'. I'm long on hope, but cognizant of the real issues surrounding what we all call Normal Daily Life.

May you live in interesting times, indeed. Sorry my wall of text struck for 9000 damage pts. I blame my typing ability and caffeine.

Been one o' them days, y'know.

~Finis~

18. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 02:51 SunnyD

..My stuff..

~Finis~

1) nobody is guessing this time around. This isn't some biblical story or prediction. It's been a well established science since the 70s. It's hard numbers. It's like seeing a ball roll towards the end of a table. We all know what happens next.

2) We haven't been here before. The dinosaurs have. And well they aren't around anymore.

3) China is one of the leaders in renewable energy. So you can't point the finger at those places anymore.

4) Doing something bad on purpose, then "owning it" is a way to make yourself feel better about doing the wrong thing. I doubt you'll be "owning it" when one billion people migrate to your country thanks to climate change.

5) Doesn't your diet soda contain aspartame? (it turns into formaldehyde in the blood, which might explain a few of your posts lol)

1. We still have to live with the damage, we lucky few. And they weren't guessing back then, either. Science advances. They were 'right', as they understood it, in a way previous generations didn't. The same way we're 'right' today, and they're wrong, yet our estimates are off by 70+ years just on the question of perma-frost and all the lovely methane adding to the hilarity. And tomorrow we'll have even more info to update our rightness, for all the good it'll do with the damage done already.

2. Rocks hurt. Just ask us after a 6-mile wide one lands on New York. My reference to having been here before are the demonstrable periods in our evolutionary travails to this point where Co2 and heat made for fun times. And what's with the Dino-Racism? They're your ancestors as much as the rodent that ran around their feet that we came from, all of us crawling out of that sea at one time back in the day.

3. My reference to China's air quality is hardly old news. I'll leave it to your enjoyment to google their latest results as to their 'green-ness', but for giggles: https://waqi.info/ Real time, no less. I'd say they still have a ways to go, and we'll be breathing that air until they do. Thanks Jet Stream.

As to #4, perhaps you mis-read, or I mis-englished. I wasn't saying own your polluting. What I meant to put down was own the fact that you are completely boned, but do still keep trying to leave the place better than you found it. That was the bit 'do what you can'.

You are the one tasked with living through this side-show of assholes giving us this world, then asking for Carbon Tax bucks to clean it up. Did you approve factory concentration in another part of the world? I don't remember being asked, but I sure as hell have to put up with the consequences of others making these decisions for me. Had I been asked, no way in hell would the plans have met approval for placing General Electric nuke plants on a sandy shore with an underground mountain-fed river running underneath in an area hilariously historical for its ability to put water further ashore than natives would prefer, with the fun of the more than occasional earthquake tossed in.

As for aspartame, and other food additives of questionable biological use (but hey, money, amirite Rumsfeld and Searle?), I'd just like to drown the assholes with the degrees that approved that crap in giant vats of the stuff, televised. Perhaps with piranha. You can tell I've cooled off about this bit of idiocy of theirs. I've left off the destruction of their dna chains and the public drawing and quartering during the Superbowl half-time show. What can I say, I'm gettin' warm and fuzzy in my older age.

I'm not asking anyone to be happy about this. About the best we can do is make our way through a world where a kinder, gentler creator-type might have given us less psychopathic assholes in charge bringing us to this point with every policy, directive, and approval of the things we call our way of life. How's that bottled water leaching Bp-a -b and -s treating ya these days? I just looooove chemicals that act as oestrogen leeching into my dihydrogen mon-oxide. Hey, pregnant momma, suck it down! And collections of the stuff in any number of places around the world, like say your garbage dump over your water table, or the Indian Ocean, can, does, and will have some quality of life effects for many of us today, but certainly for your kids and those they'll call contemporary's.

And your bit about Aspartame breaking down into formaldehyde in the blood stream, that thing your brain likes to call 'supply of life giving crap' alludes to the gallows humor attempt of mine to draw attention to the fact that 'ALL' of us are in this together, for all that we're trying to do more to clean up than others about the world at this time, apparently. Can't blame them. We made this crap look good as we built our nation up.

Don't mind me. Just going through some of the more interesting Climate Change weather effects of late living in central Tornado Alley. Fried in 109 degree real-feel temps today which segued into 60-70mph straight line possibly tornadic winds. My new normal of late in cen-tex it seems.

Sorry if it comes off as being downish on humanity. I'm with George Carlin on this. It's a great show, with a lot of good folks making their way through what future history books are gonna be calling 'WTF was that all about?!?'. I'm long on hope, but cognizant of the real issues surrounding what we all call Normal Daily Life.

May you live in interesting times, indeed. Sorry my wall of text struck for 9000 damage pts. I blame my typing ability and caffeine.

Been one o' them days, y'know.

~Finis~

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2019, 03:02.

17. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 00:42 bigspender

Been taking the long view on this whole thing since I was a kid in the 70's hearing about Sno-ball Earth a'comin. And here I am, still chewing my cud and looking stupidly about wondering at the ruckus.

'Recent studies have shown that those who believed the world would end on Dec 21, 2012 were in fact, wrong.'

I just luvs me some guessers.

Lots of folks have been guessing at what's gonna take us out since before I was born, and will be doing so long after my bits have become a part of other people and things. My money's on Fuckyoushima, Glyphosate, Aspartame and the nano-scale particulate aluminum matter spewing out the ass ends of any numbers of airplanes these days, almost all of which are most certainly Humano-centric in origin, and also almost all of which can certainly be extinction level events in their own rights, right fucking now.

So the weathers changing. Great. We've been here before, back when we wore caveman clothes and Kardashian asses were on nobody's mind, only then we had larger brains, and a more active lifestyle in general. Dunno how this is gonna affect us all, but I'm guessing kitty videos on media-delivery devices are gonna be rather low on the daily to-do list for most humans going forward dealing with whats about to be our new 'normal'.

I'm still waiting for those busy converting oxygen into loud trumpetting of Doom Horns to explain how, in the face of 2.5 BILLION 'highly motivated to have our way of life, or better' individuals (China, India); our few hundred million climate conscientious souls are going to be able to undo those two countries good works, as regards this whole eggs-in-one-breadbasket and trying to keep it clean thing we got going on. With air in China they jokingly say you could walk on, and an actual island of plastic and garbage off India's coastline you actually 'can' walk on, with the attractive addition of literal mountains of garbage 240' tall outside a variety of their cities, just how in the hell is any of this to work out for anyone on this ball of water anywhere, especially in light of how the planetary systems gleefully shuffle the damage about the place on any number of jet / water streams.

So relax, don't worry. You're screwed. Own that shit, do what you can. And pass me a diet soda. I haven't had my ice-cold allotment of aspartame today, and I'm missing the calorie burn from the shakes that stuff gives me..

~Finis~

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 00:28 bigspender

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 10:46:
I'm a lifetime member of PETA (people eating tasty animals)
And yes Bigspender, I know that may shorten my lifetime but that's just a cognitive dissonance I'm willing to live with.

You mean People Seasoning Animals with Plant Foods To Make Them Taste Good?

Jokes aside, animal agriculture is a major contributor to climate change... so when you order a beef burrito instead of bean burrito, you're getting some premafrost thawing as a side dish

15. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 20, 2019, 00:15 Sepharo

Been taking the long view on this whole thing since I was a kid in the 70's hearing about Sno-ball Earth a'comin. And here I am, still chewing my cud and looking stupidly about wondering at the ruckus.

'Recent studies have shown that those who believed the world would end on Dec 21, 2012 were in fact, wrong.'

Lots of folks have been guessing at what's gonna take us out since before I was born, and will be doing so long after my bits have become a part of other people and things. My money's on Fuckyoushima, Glyphosate, Aspartame and the nano-scale particulate aluminum matter spewing out the ass ends of any numbers of airplanes these days, almost all of which are most certainly Humano-centric in origin, and also almost all of which can certainly be extinction level events in their own rights, right fucking now.

So the weathers changing. Great. We've been here before, back when we wore caveman clothes and Kardashian asses were on nobody's mind, only then we had larger brains, and a more active lifestyle in general. Dunno how this is gonna affect us all, but I'm guessing kitty videos on media-delivery devices are gonna be rather low on the daily to-do list for most humans going forward dealing with whats about to be our new 'normal'.

I'm still waiting for those busy converting oxygen into loud trumpetting of Doom Horns to explain how, in the face of 2.5 BILLION 'highly motivated to have our way of life, or better' individuals (China, India); our few hundred million climate conscientious souls are going to be able to undo those two countries good works, as regards this whole eggs-in-one-breadbasket and trying to keep it clean thing we got going on. With air in China they jokingly say you could walk on, and an actual island of plastic and garbage off India's coastline you actually 'can' walk on, with the attractive addition of literal mountains of garbage 240' tall outside a variety of their cities, just how in the hell is any of this to work out for anyone on this ball of water anywhere, especially in light of how the planetary systems gleefully shuffle the damage about the place on any number of jet / water streams.

So relax, don't worry. You're screwed. Own that shit, do what you can. And pass me a diet soda. I haven't had my ice-cold allotment of aspartame today, and I'm missing the calorie burn from the shakes that stuff gives me..

~Finis~

Where do you get this stuff?

14. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 21:32 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 20:49:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 17:13:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 14:41:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 10:43:
Dafuq...

Shit's about to hit the fan :/

When I first learned about global warming 20 years ago or so, one of my first realizations was "if the permafrost goes, that's it, game over." Really upsetting. Methane (or Meethane to you Brits) is 20x more powerful at retaining heat than CO2 and stays in the atmosphere for 20 years. It's about to get hot as Hell in here, and no, it won't be a dry heat.
WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!
AGAIN!
As a Canadian (IIRC) you are one of the lucky few. Canada will end up with a more moderate climate, and be relatively unaffected by global sea rise, as most of your cities are inland. For the rest of us,the melting permafrost is catastrophic. It's also an indication that the climate models are off in the wrong direction: they are too conservative. This has been going on for a decade at least: every time a climate model comes out, some new observation crops up showing that warming is happening faster than predicted.
Does no one look at the chart? https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/earth_temperature_timeline_2x.png

13. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 21:28 SunnyD

~Finis~

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2019, 21:47.

12. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 20:49 jdreyer

Dafuq...

When I first learned about global warming 20 years ago or so, one of my first realizations was "if the permafrost goes, that's it, game over." Really upsetting. Methane (or Meethane to you Brits) is 20x more powerful at retaining heat than CO2 and stays in the atmosphere for 20 years. It's about to get hot as Hell in here, and no, it won't be a dry heat.
AGAIN!
As a Canadian (IIRC) you are one of the lucky few. Canada will end up with a more moderate climate, and be relatively unaffected by global sea rise, as most of your cities are inland. For the rest of us,the melting permafrost is catastrophic. It's also an indication that the climate models are off in the wrong direction: they are too conservative. This has been going on for a decade at least: every time a climate model comes out, some new observation crops up showing that warming is happening faster than predicted.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 17:48 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 17:25:
Dafuq...

AGAIN!

hOw dO yOU kIlL THaT WhiCH hAS nO liFe?
"What Is Dead May Never Die"

10. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 17:25 Kxmode

Dafuq...

AGAIN!

hOw dO yOU kIlL THaT WhiCH hAS nO liFe?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

9. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 17:13 Muscular Beaver

Dafuq...

AGAIN!

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

8. Re: Out of the Back Pain Jun 19, 2019, 15:31 Rectal Prolapse

Blue, maybe you can try EMDR (or similar) therapy. It seemed to cut my back pain recovery times in half, after a couple of sessions. I don't know why it works exactly, but maybe it resets the anxiety associated with having the pain.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2019, 14:59 jdreyer

Its like Liquid Nitrogen - but Fire.

That guy is bucking for a Darwin award.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2019, 14:52 jdreyer

Threw my back out on Sunday, too. Not sure how it happened. Currently treating with alternating heat and ice, along with Naproxen Sodium and Cyclobenzaprene.

Stay away from the opioids Blue!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2019, 14:49 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 10:28:
When you privatize health care, you create a huge distrust in medical system. Everything seems like a way of milking the patient.

This is why this Anti-Vaccination movement has started.. in that basis of distrust. Here in canada, the government pretty much pays for all your medical bills so when they want to vaccinate the entire population it is because... IT'S GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE!

I'm sure the bean counters would love to get rid of the costs of vaccination, that is.. if there wasn't proof that it gets rid of later emergency costs.

Certainly that's part of it, but given that most healthcare around the world is either run by governments or heavily regulated, it seems like there's more going on. Social media certainly plays a role, especially combined with the human psychology of negative information: humans respond many times more strongly to negative info than positive. Using the internet to spread such info to billions of people takes a toll.

4. Re: Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted Jun 19, 2019, 14:41 jdreyer

Dafuq...

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo